Affect of Weather and climate on CFS

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have heard of two people with CFS who believe that sunny climates alleviate their symptoms.  Maybe this is a shot in the dark but I am curious to know whether most of the people in this discussion live in colder climates? Do their symptoms clear when they visit hotter climates.   I am in the UK and my friend is suffering from CFS and I have become very curious about it.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm very jealous David as I know weather has a huge effect on my health. I would love to emigrate but wouldn't know where to begin job wise house wise and health wise. Then there is the aging mothers who we have to keep an eye on. Finally the worry that financially I might not be able to afford to return once leaving, but if I lose my current job due to health I might have to consider it! How easy was it to set yourself up in another country? 

Paz

• Posted

l agree and understand your thoughts, l,m sure l,d feel better living in a warm, not hot, climate and one with less pollution, where l live its quite bad due to living in a congested valley, lve noticed the last couple of years, along with other symptoms l,m more likely to get breathless, and know of  others or read on here of quite a few now having probs breathlesness,  some link with cfs, some with gastritus, although its more  associated with asthma, bronchitus, respiratory probs, the air in my area even looks dirtier and smoggier, certainly not the bright blue skies and wonderful sunsets when l was growing up, long time ago.

Due to age, more so health, moving would be impossible, but if l,d loads of money its more possible, re paying for others to do all labour. But know when younger jobs, family, make it difficult, maybe saving for an extended holiday in place warm dry and fresh,  but near enough for short flight home, check out practicals.   l guess David will fill you in on practicals of going for it.  Agree with David, stay posative never say die, re  live in hope 

• Posted

HI Paz,

It is very difficult our first time was Spain where we built a palace but 2008 arrived and the financial crash. We returned to the UK. About five years later we moved to Southern France, my wife is French we are still here and life is good our daughter is at school here and loves it. Even so it was still very difficult so please be very careful before taking the plunge.

• Posted

I have had CFS for about 20 years. I live in the southeastern US. Our climate here is warm spring and fall, hot & humid looonnnggg summers. I have lived in the South for 16 years, and I find my pain level is much, much worse in the Summer. Perhaps it's the humidity, I don't know. In the summer, from May - September, our temperature is 80-95 during the day & not usually below 75 at night. I have less pain usually in the winter, temps from 40s-low 50s high & 30s - mid20s for low. I wish there was an ideal climate for CFS/ME, but all aspects of this are so variable. I actually think I would do better in a chilly, damp climate. Maybe it depends on what climate you lived in when you became ill?

• Posted

I live in the SW of the US, where it's hot and dry.  I contracted CFS while living in Northern CA, and have lived in the NW as well.

I think the aches are better here, but no change otherwise.  Dry climate is probably better for pain/inflammation, though, so it makes sense if those in cold, wet climes feel more pain.

• Posted

Could you need more electrolytes? I know that the sun is detoxifying and you use up more potassium, magnesium and especially sodium. I increase mine when I am overtired and when I am out in the sun or sweat. 
  • Posted

I think when we have discussions about temperature we need to move away from terms like “warmer”, “hotter”, “colder” to ensure we are talking about the same thing

for me, I live in the north of england.  My home does not receive direct sunlight. I am housebound and virtually bedbound except for July and August when my symptoms subside a little. So I could say that warm weather helps me.  But someone living in a warmer climate would consider U.K. summer temperatures to be relatively low.  So we need to talk about degrees. 

I improve a little when temperature is above 20degrees.  I daresay I would find temperatures above 30 degrees to also affect me negatively,  

I believe there are also other climate factors involved. I’m not an expert on climate, but I’ve read that relative humidity, barometric pressure, precipitation, wind, even fog, may also impact on us

but, for me, the outside temperature has the biggest effect on me. Even when I don’t venture outside, the outside temperature affects me indoors.  The effects of the temperature are also long lasting. So if I go outside in cold weather, I feel much worse for weeks, or months, just from one outside excursion. 

I wish i could live in a country with a temperature which suited my body more closely 

• Posted

Hi, Ive heard warm weather with vitamin D has a positive impact on ME. I was wondering if specifically climate change has an impact of ME/Cronic Fatigue, I know someone who has had it 18 years and needs convincing the warm weather will actually make a difference, he is mobile but easily exhausted 

Any comments would be really appreciated 

• Posted

For the past 3 years now, my worst times have been January until the weather got a bit better?.. maybe there is something in it?  smile
  • Posted

Hello Sue

I have had ME for 42 years. I have noticed over the years that a change in the weather from dry high pressure to wet low pressure weather can have a severe effect on me (a crash), usually lasting a couple of days. The greater the change in pressure the greater the effect, winter or summer, though usually worse in the winter unless there is a long dry spell. However it does not occur the other way round, that is going from low to high pressure, nor do the symptoms persist if the whether stays wet and windy with one low pressure system after another sweeping across the UK. I have also had the same occur when travelling by air from a dry high pressure weather to wet low pressure weather, though I would give less certainty to this as travel usually aggravates the ME. My perception is that the change from a high pressure cell to a low pressure air cell is the trigger. In my experience very cold and very hot temperatures will trigger worse ME symptoms, but are generally avoidable. What I find does help is getting outside during the day for at least half an hour or so, helps the ME a lot, especially in winter with the shorter days. You don't have to do anything, just sit in a sunny spot, or the lightest spot you can find. It relaxes me and seems to reset the body.

Regards Philip

• Posted

Hi there

Suffering from ME for many years I do find there is a correlation between climate and me. During cold windy days, any breeze will make my body ache, especially the part exposed to the wind. I feel more stiff and unease to be active as if a winter bear.

High temperature isn't OK either. I went camping on a hot summer day which made me out of breath and hard to work. It felt as if the body was turned off. While staying in cool inside made me alive as normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.