AFIB

Posted , 18 users are following.

Can anyone explain to me can you have AFIB without other heart issues causing it? In other words everyone posting on here that have AFIB had stress tests and echos etc done and everythign else is ok except for the AFIB? I know high blood pressure and sleep apnea can cause it- but I am wondering if it is a disease in itself or always secondary? ANYONE? 

thanks

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF in Jan 2010 - my earlier life had been relatively trouble free health wise. Within 6 months of diagnosis i found a range of foods would lurch me into AF. Given my relatively healthy life I researched AF as I had no idea what it was. At this point I have to say my diagnosis was within 9 hours of first onset, I was kept in hospital for 6 days while all manner of tests were done  -end result nothing else wrong with my heart. I then researched family history and yes there was a genetic link on my fathers side of the family. Yes at the time I had a stressful job AND I was already on medication for high blood pressure. There is a widening school of thought that some types of AF kick in because of other conditions of dis - ease within the body. Have a look at Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Cardiologist at York Cardiology (in UK) and consider viewing some of his short videos.

John

• Posted

Thank you John, 

I will check out Gupta for sure! They say it can be linked to HBP also.

I do have that and am on 40 Lisinopril, it usually is in pretty good range so i would not say it is out of control which is what they say can cause AFIB. That is really interesting that foods precipitated your AFIB. I have to make a mental note of that. Thank you a bunch!

• Posted

There are many cases for Afib even if the heart itself is perfectly normal. Among these causes are: stress, fatigue, coffee, alcohol, low Ca, Mg, K, dehydration, red meat, cheese, fermented foods, cold foods like icecream, and more. It is strange why doctors don't address these causes first. Instead, they prescribe medication that deals with the nerves in the heart. In my case, Afib was caused by stress and fatigue. I took tryptophan which is the precursor of serotonin, and my Afib is gone.

• Posted

Thank you Nick- i really thought mine was brought on by stress. Interesting about Tryptophan- I will look into that. Glad your AFIB is GONE! 
    • Posted

Tryptophan also is a precursor to melatonin which is important for proper sleep cycles and circadian rythms.
    • Posted

Hi nick, great to hear your discovery, and fantastic you're rid of the devil that is Afib!  I want to try tryptophan as I feel my episodes are caused by stress and fatigue, but worried about contraindications with my prescribed meds.  Are you on any meds?  Keep up the good work and please pass on your very useful information.  All the best. 

• Posted

exactly my sentiments, they treat the symptoms straight away without even addressing a possible cause, you don't find out all the things you have mentioned Nick until you find a forum like this,

which is why I wrote what I did before, I know a couple of people that were symptomatic of thyroid disease but never teated as their bloods were within range they usually do TSH and if that is normal don't look any further, but on looking further ie doing T4 T3 and thyroid antibodies they were found not to be coverting the TSH/T4 to T3 in the liver which is the hormone that circulates the blood stream. the thyroid is one of the things the cardiologists ask if has been checked when you first see them.as a malfunctioning thyroid can cause palpitations.

L x

L.

• Posted

I found valuable information on two sites. They are "the AFIB report" by afibbers and "counseling sheets" by uchee pines. Unfortunately, web addresses can't be posted on this forum, but you can search them.

• Posted

Hi Pauline, Im not on any medication now. Drug interactions can be searched online. You may search  for "drug interactions checker" and enter  the medication you are interested in. All the best to you too.

• Posted

You can be perfectly healthy and have this damn condition.

It can be quite dangerous if you develop clots and suffer a stroke. Medical literature tells me strokes from AF are usually devestating so insist you get proper care and attention.

From my experience Drs tend to brush it off as a nuisance and I believe that is because they haven't got a clue on how to stop it or cure it.

I hope That one day will know just how this condition can ruin your day to day life.

Eat well, lose weight if you need to as has been shown to be very beneficial in keeping episodes down. Always keep well hydrated and keep up some reasonable amounts of exercise.

• Posted

Thank you for the info. I def have to lose weight I am working on that. I have not been very active due to a bad knee- i have been trying to up my activity and will certainly make sure to now. Thank you for taking the time- i need these pep talks- it really helps. HUGS
  • Posted

Thank you for your post, I have been posting a lot recently about the same problems and like everyone on here all tests say heart is healthy,  I am waiting for 24 hour monitor next week to check for AFIB I expect.  Anyway upon reading the replies it all makes sense, my problems started May 2015, just over a year ago when I was given loads of different antibiotics for an infection following the removal of a small carcinoma.  My heart went mental within hours of taking one of them and I was rushed to GP from work and put on ECG monitor which showed an extra heartbeat.  My stomach was so sensitive as they had obviously wiped out my good bacteria, I did suspect this but A&E doctors looked at me as if I was mad and I never pursued it, but now I will as it could be the reason for this.  Have you had your monitor yet and if so was it a pain having to sleep with it.  I am also allergic to the stickers so that is going to be fun, but hopefully will help me put my mind at rest and stop panicking, I was beginning to think it was food related but now maybe not.   

• Posted

I ve had the holter monitor twice.  It's a little difficult to sleep with but not really that bad. Good luck. Suzanne

• Posted

I just returned my monitor today. It was not bad to sleep with but i had a problem with one of the stickers coming off - she never wiped me down with alcohol to make sure we had a good stick- it was a pain because i had to keep putting it back on plus the way she put it on me it was all tangled and i could not even remove my bra the way she hooked me up- So it was not the best sleep- but i am a side sleeper and i did not have too bad a time with it. Very interesting about the antiobiotics we have to be our own doctors for sure. Let us know how you make out. 
    • Posted

Hi, I am also a side sleeper so hopefully it will be ok.  When I had my stress test the nurse scrubbed the area before adding the pads which I then became allergic too, so hope that does not happen again.  I would rather know if there was anything sinister so it can be sorted so will happily put up with whatever happens to get peace of mind.  Taek care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.