AFIB and Amiodarone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I checked out the Amiodarone forum, and it was scary. How many of you have had your vision affected by this "toxic" drug?  I reduced my mom's dosage to 100 mg/ daily (1/2 of a 200 mg tablet).  Her cardiologist wasn't thrilled but added, "better than nothing."  I would even stop that, if I could, but I'm not being given more info than that it increases stroke risk. She takes this with a baby asprin.  My question  is to ask if anyone has reduced or eliminate Amiodarone without an further incidence of AFIB. My mom was diagnosed in the spring.... had cardioversion... and has been on Amiodarone ever since. Now that she is down to 100, can I cut it down, further??? Maybe 100 every othe day?  Yes, it's the side effects that scare me...... 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,  I was given amiodarone after a 2nd cardioversion,  at night on the 1st day after I went to bed it felt as if my heart was moving around in my chest scared me to bits, I was also on warfarin and no one told me that the warfarin dosage should be reduced by half when you start using this drug I only found that out on this site and some others on the computer.   After the second day I was totally stressed out and crying and on going to my doctor found out I was having a really bad reaction to the amiodarone,  I was told to stop it immediately,  I was told that it is classed as a black drug only used as a last resort!   I would suggest that due to the side effects that this drug has there must be something else that they could give your Mum.   Just wonder if the cardiologists would take this themselves.  This happened
    • Posted

I I took it as a last resort. Was on it for only a few months. It did the trick and dug me out of the hole that I was in. It's pretty effective when used short term like this. I had no side effects from it. 

• Posted

I'm really thinking of just stopping it. She is at the doctor(s) so frequently, they could just pick up the A-Fib, if it ever were to return.   Thank you so much. 

• Posted

How long ago was this? How long have you been off it? Also, do you take a blood thinner, as well?

• Posted

It was Mid Jan to early June 2014 I took Amioderone. Have been taking Apixaban for a thinner since I was first diagnosed in Dec 2014, but am of it since last week
    • Posted

Really good to know. Thank you. And am so glad you are doing well. 
    • Posted

Sorry, that should've been Jan to June 2015.(oops!😦wink

• Posted

I had that problem with warfarin as well when amiodarone was added to my meds. I has to suss out the reasons myself as evidently the assistant cardiology registrar did not know. Nor were the INR nurses at the surgery. It was also news to my GP as BNF does not really spell it out.  
  • Posted

Did her cardioversion work and is she still in NSR? Amiodione is the most effective drug for AF and is dispensed nowadays like Smarties but it is supposed only to be prescribed for life threatening conditions.

It affected my eyes within weeks of starting it. First with floaters and then with fuzzy blurred vision that the eye clinic said was due to it causing a cloudy film over the eye. My cataracts that I had been told were years from needing to be done had worsened to the stage where they offered the procedure now.

It also affected me in several other ways and caused loss of eqilibrium making small turning movements as in the kitchen and shower dangerous.

Apart from the cataracts the symptoms went after stopping it.

For more information you can Google 'the history of amiodarone'    

• Posted

I think I am going to stop it..... she definitely is walking a lot worse....  she says she gets dizzy and has to hold onto furniture to get from one end of the room to the other.
    • Posted

That was what I had to do,
    • Posted

She never had afib until the one episode that had me take her to the er. Since then, he meds got changed (stopped labetalol -- got put on amiodarone and eliquis). Had cardioversion done. She also has kidney failure, and is one tiny step away from dialysis.   Her kidneys were holding steady until all this started.
    • Posted

You really need to see your kidney consultant,
    • Posted

I agree -- we have an appointment today.... and i'm taking related articles/studies with me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.