AFIB and Amiodarone

Posted , 4 users are following.

I checked out the Amiodarone forum, and it was scary. How many of you have had your vision affected by this "toxic" drug?  I reduced my mom's dosage to 100 mg/ daily (1/2 of a 200 mg tablet).  Her cardiologist wasn't thrilled but added, "better than nothing."  I would even stop that, if I could, but I'm not being given more info than that it increases stroke risk. She takes this with a baby asprin.  My question  is to ask if anyone has reduced or eliminate Amiodarone without an further incidence of AFIB. My mom was diagnosed in the spring.... had cardioversion... and has been on Amiodarone ever since. Now that she is down to 100, can I cut it down, further??? Maybe 100 every othe day?  Yes, it's the side effects that scare me...... 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, well, well...

I happened to read that Amiodarone is linked to hypothyrodism... My mom's TSH is 6, and has now been put on medication for it.  I'm stopping the toxic Amiodarone for her. 

• Posted

She will need something to replace it,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.