afib and magnesium

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can anyone tell me what is the best magnesium to take when you have afib .Thank you April 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi April, as a sometimes sufferer of AF, and one who believes control of stomach is crucial in minimising AF/palpitations, I try to get all the necessary minerals through foodstuffs, as opposed to supplements, although I do take a daily dose of Nutrimonium, more for the pre and probiotics, but it's packed with minerals as well.

So my answer to your question would be Nuts! Almonds, cashews and plenty of them. I'm sure there's many other sources, but these seem to work for me.

Best Regards

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Sherpa_Al,

An Italian medic using Pulse Wave Velocity analysis show that too many nuts decrease arterial function. Be wary of the powerful 'Nut Industry'. They would have us believe that you can't eat too many nuts!!

• Posted

@Conns, interesting about nuts, they have a lot of polyunsaturated fats, and I've seen some people express some concern about too many polyunsaturated fats, for other reasons as well.

Oops, I've been eating probably too many nuts too, and am cutting down now.

• Posted

Well April83406, mine was the short version, AprilBday12's was the scientific version!

• Posted

Thank you so much for yourent reply. Will up my intake of nuts . Advice always welcome .April 
    • Posted

AprilBday12's answer was long, but by no means was it scientific.

• Posted

Hi Jason,

Well as a non-scientist, it gave me that impression, and I was happy to give AprilBday12 the benefit of the doubt, but it sounds as if you have a different perspective.

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Simple stuff like 

Magnesium Oxide (MgO) is simply bonded to oxygen, which is obviously also something your body needs 

That's like suggesting your body can use the oxygen in water

The copied Author is described as a Naturopathic Doctor, even her own website says 

* Amy Neuzil  is a Naturopath and not a Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy.  All information on dramyneuzil is written from a Naturopathic perspective.  Amy holds a current and valid license to practice medicine from the State of Vermont but because she is working remotely, she is NOT practicing as an ND, but rather she is remote health coaching. While we strive to provide the most accurate information possible, this site does not provide medical or health-care advice and should be used for your own information only. Please consult your physician regarding any health needs you may have.  Please read and understand our full website terms of use and disclaimer

So even her own website accepts it's non scientific and you should speak to a real Doctor if you have any health needs.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I agree with Sherpa.. Natural food intake .. BTW: I used to take Magnesium Citrate (it's a chelated form and inexpensive) but I think it interacted with my calcium channel blocker and my results were inconsistent.  

However, I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar for other reasons and lo and behold my episodes of afib have greatly diminished.  

I think everyone concentrates on magnesium but there are other electrolytes that affect afib, including potassium and ACV (apple cider vinegar affects that)..

So, yes, almonds, walnuts, cashews (all raw and unsalted) but also ACV (2 tablespoons daily with 2 glasses of water)

Also really important: stay hydrated and in the summer when it is hot make sure you get enough salt.  I have taken to eating a few mouthfuls of sauerkraut on hot days, and then more water.

Fermented foods are very very good for you.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your help will certainly  try these ideas April
    • Posted

Indeed other electrolytes have a big part to play. Low potassium levels set the stage for the “perfect atrial storm”. Key is to hit 4700 mg of potassium a day. Needs to be well absorbed at a cellular level as afib can occur when blood K appears within normal range.

Paul

• Posted

My SVT Docs recommended Mg Citrate; use 150 mg daily

• Posted

Be careful with Apple Cider Vinegar as it has been known to deplete potassium levels. As I stated in this thread, low potassium is often associated with Afib.

• Posted

"deplete potassium levels."

Well, just keep eating those bananas.

• Posted

It doesn't matter too much.  Most people say the cheapest, magnesium oxide, is not that well absorbed, but that's what I started with and it actually made a difference.  I've tried several kinds, I think I have some magnesium citrate right now.

But almonds are a great way too!  Also sesame tahini, which is really tasty!

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your message very much appreciated  April 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.