AFIB & Sleep Meds/ Insomnia

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have had very bad insomnia for the past 5 years and am going through a particularly nasty spell of several days now without sleep.  I also have afib and am finding out that the two issues are often related.  My question is, what sleep meds do you find work well for people with AFIB?  I have used melatonin and found that it actually caused an AFIB episode for me.  I don't generally like sleep meds, but I am kind of desperate at this time.  Thank you!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pat

Am in a similar situation. My a fib almost always starts when I am asleep and wakes me. There is always this underlying anxiety - will I get an attack tonight? So have ended up with bad insomnia. Have tried all the common sleep aids and drugs including  melatonin. The only one that helps but doc will only provide a few of lowest dose when I am exhausted is  zopiclone because it is addictive. Yes have read all the books, tried all the apps, exercised Until I am worn out, don,t have caffeine or use phone/ computer in the evening etc etc but still can,t sleep.  All I can offer is sympathy - it,s an awful situation to be in

• Posted

Yes insomnia and afib is a bad combo. Thanks for sharing. I have a sleep test next week to see if I have sleep apnea. I guess zopiclone is not the best if one has apnea. If I don't have it, I will talk to my doctor about trying zopiclone. I share your frustration with all the techniques and advice about insomnia. I swear I tried about 50 things last night to no avail and felt even more wound up and frustrated than when I started. They say you will sleep better if you just don't care about it, and that may be true. But, it is very difficult to do in a situation like this. Thanks my cloud.

• Posted

Yes I know the advice is not to get wound up but the nights are so long and when you are desperate to fall asleep it's hard. Just a few words of experience on meds prescribed by gp. When all the mild ones didn,t work -antihistamines, melatonin etc I was prescribed amitryptiline.  Gave me bad palpitations which is a common side effect. The last resort from my gp was another anti-depressant mirtazapine. Yes knocked me out with wild dreams but left me completely spaced out unable to do anything the next day. Persevered for a time but couldn't get used to the side effects so gave that up. So basically have run out of tablet options and just take a zopiclone infrequently when have something very important to do next day.  Unfortunately where I live deep in the country (yes no noise, street lights or othe distractions) there are no sleep clinics, sleep therapists or other therapy. Would be good to have advice from other forum members. 

• Posted

I also have insomnia and only sleep a few hours every night. It makes for a long night. My doctor suggested melatonin  which left me groggy the next day. On occasion I take a Benadryl which affords me an extra one hour of sleep a night.  Also I can only sleep on my back due to the a fib and the pacemaker. What fun.  I haven't tried warm milk recently so tonight I'll give that a try. My best to you. 

• Posted

I tried melatonin for a month three years ago but got no benefit from it. I thought that I would try it again and have been taking it for about ten days. Again it has not helped but like you I have felt worse than usual during the day. My doctor did not recommend it as he is also a doctor to a sports team and said that they tried it hoping to get back to regular sleep after long haul flights without it helping.  
    • Posted

Thanks. I also average only 3 hours per night. It can certainly be difficult. And I know it is bad when I'm hoping for 3 hours tonight instead of 3 minutes. I just ordered a new mattress. It would seem I am an easy target for advertisers and marketers when I am struggling like this.

• Posted

I doesn't matter what time I fall asleep I almost always waken exactly  two hours later On a very good night three hours..

• Posted

That's interesting, I do the same thing. The sleep restriction therapy has never worked for me. In fact, it seems to backfire. If I go to sleep later I will just worry about how I won't have enough time to get enough sleep.

• Posted

Good luck with your sleep apnea test next week.  I would be interested in how it turns out.  
    • Posted

Well I had the at home sleep test and unfortunately I hardly slept a wink, maybe 30 minutes to an hour.  I told them this at the clinic when I returned my test equipment.  The doctor's office called me and told me that I don't have sleep apnea.  I asked them if they could tell from that brief period of time and she told me that it has me sleeping for 7.5 hours.  I told her that wasn't the case and then she said that they can't tell if I am sleeping or not with the at home test. 

I was very disappointed with the experience.  Then she asked if I wanted to try again and it was almost as if she was annoyed with.  She did warn me that if I didn't sleep again, my insurance wouldn't pay for it.  Not happy with this.  If I have apnea and it is causing AFIB and/or heart problems, I want to know.  I really don't care how many times the test needs to be done.

• Posted

Hi Pat, sorry your sleep apnea test was disappointing.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sleep if and when I have the test.  Better luck to you next time.  

• Posted

Hi,  The hospital pharmacist who came up to see me whilst in the Cardiac Unit checked and said it was alright for me to take the (over the counter) herbal remedy Kalms along with the Bisoprolol and Warfarin. I find Kalms very helpful where anxiety and sleep are concerned. But, of course depending on what medication you're taking then, it's important to check first with your doctor just in case there should be an interaction.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the info, I haven't heard of Kalms before.  I found several different options on Amazon for it.  Is there one in particular that you use?

• Posted

You can also look for Nytol. There are several versions of it but they did not work for me.
    • Posted

That's another thing we have in common.  Didn't work for me either.  Thanks for the suggestion though

• Posted

Hi, The only Kalms I use are the regular ones you can take in the day to ease stress and anxiety. They got me through the menopause and when I was being weaned off my antidepressants as I was told by an A&E Doctor that they interfere with the heartbeat. So, Kalms helped me greatly with the withdrawal from the antidepressants. I can only speak for myself but, I really do find Kalms very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.