Afib triggers

Posted , 9 users are following.

To much sugar seem to trigger my afib what triggers yours

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find a glass of wine sets me off, I only drink very occassionaly so have decided to not to drink. I also drink decaff coffee and tea. Mine is worse after a meal .

I

• Posted

One of my problems is that I take steroids for PMR . I believe that was the start of my AF problems. Steroids have caused a significant weight gain which I am trying very hard to lose. I am an a no carbs diet!!So hopefully the loss of weight will help the AF.
  • Posted

So far I have noticed the following. Too much sugar, eating too much food in 1 go, being too tired, drinking caffeine, drinking alcohol, eating lots of greasy food/ poor diet in general.
  • Posted

Very similar. Pre-first ablation, too much food, but thats stopped now. Dont drink anymore, so not an issue. Bizarrely, Toblerone! And fatigue, thats my single biggest issue. Not handy, cos i work shifts.
  • Posted

I've been following the slimming world diet which basically limits your fat and sugar intake, not specifically to lose weight although that has been a nice bonus, but I had a week off a few weeks ago and old habits crept back in, 3/4 days in after a sugar binge (chocolate etc) and I felt terrible for 2 whole days, shaky, palpitations, nausea, could barely eat anything, bad tummy (which seems to coincide with the palpitations). Was enough to wake me up and get me back on track!
    • Posted

My wife and I were on the same diet up to about October last year and we moved house let the diet slip next thing I know I've got afib so after your post we need to get on it again
  • Posted

Hi. I find anything with preservatives or msg puts me into af. If l always eat at home l am ok as l can monitor whats in my food and drinks. I use "pure wine" drops in alcohol to deactivate the preservatives.
    • Posted

Its not just meat. Lots of foods including bread, butter, dips, sauces,soft drinks, etc. Anything with sulphites. For me preservatives 200-230 and 625-635. I kept a food diary to see what triggered it. Food took up to 24 hrs to trigger me with liquids being quicker.

• Posted

Can't believe I forgot to mention my biggest trigger and what I think started it all in the 1st place! STRESS!!
  • Posted

my biggest problem is infection I always know when one is pending as the palps start, my first trigger was as some of the others have said was stress, several family things happenig one after the other that you think you are dealing with but your subconsious mind thinks otherwise.

L.

• Posted

I have tried for years to identify a "trigger" with little sure success , the only thing that seems to have some effect is stress, but even that is not definite.  I have come across the idea that a hyperactive thyroid gland can cause afib . Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this ?
    • Posted

Yes Joyce that is definitley a trigger and if you have overactive (hyperthyrodism) or underactive(hypothyroidism)  it can certainly cause palps, but when treated the palps should subside if they have you on the right dosage of meds.

L.

• Posted

Thanks Linda - my blood test shows "normal thyroid activity" but I am convinced that is not the case , so a further trip to the GP for more tests. As it happens the medication I am no (Felecainide longerhas any effect on my afib so it might have to be different meds as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.