After 6 weeks of non weight bearing I could now bear weight!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

HELLO EVERYONE, I AM PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT I COULD NOW BEAR WEIGHT AFTER 6 WEEKS OF NOT WALKING. I HAD SURGERY ON FEB 27, 2020 AND I BEEN IN A WALKING BOOT SINCE MARCH 11, 2020. I MUST WALK IN MY BOOT UNTIL MAY 14. OT FEELS KIND OF WEIRD BUT I'M HAPPY. TO THOSE WHO JUST IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS JUST REMEMBER YOU WILL GET THERE TIME WILL HEAL ALL YOUR WOUNDS IT MAY SEEM LIKE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, BUT IT'S NOT GOOD LUCK TO ALL I WILL BE STILL ON HERE FOR ANYONE THAT NEEDS ADVICE❤

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Edited

YESSSSSSSSS! WELCOME TO THE WEIGHT BEARING CLUB!! Was hoping that you would get that news!! Was sending those vibes out to you! So happy for you!! It is a long process, but it feels so good to get somewhere tangible! I hope that the process from here on out is easier for you! I am so very happy for your good news!! Keep me updated! Would love to hear how it goes! Yay!!

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, Thank you so much it really made my day. I'm so happy to bear weight. I tried walking without my boot but it didn't work my heel won't go all the way down, but I'm super happy. Thank you for you words of encouragement. Please keep in touch I will keep you updated on everything please be safe and I wish you nothing, but happiness and everything you touch I pray that God turns it into gold❤😘

• Posted

Hi ayanna1208,

How's the weight bearing going? Feeling a little freer?

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, I hope all is well with you!!! Weight bearing is going great thanks for asking. The only concern I have is why the heal of my feet will not touch the ground yet. I must stay in the boot until May 14, 2020 and I'm not sure will i be walking on my own by then

it's been 8 days today since i start walking I'm now trying to learn how to walk with one crutch I'm getting there a little bit i must keep practicing. Tuesday I drove my car put the garage and put it on the front with my boot just to give it more strength. It feels like my boot is getting tight and I don't pump it up. I still can't place my foot on the ground to walk my doctor said by week 3 start walking around with a shoe on it just seems impossible how everything going for you? Was you having these problems? I'm so happy my ankle doesn't hurt anymore just feel a little tight at times I'm ready to throw them crutches and boot away and really be free😘

• Edited

Ayanna,

I am so glad to hear that you are progressing and finding more freedom! I had tears in my eyes the first time I drove around my neighborhood, lol! When I first broke my ankle, I was put in a boot because my break was considered a stable ankle break. I was warned that surgery was my best option because my break wasn't aligned well. It took me two weeks to accept the idea of surgery, but I finally got there. The reason why I am telling you this is that I couldn't get my ankle down into the. bottom of that boot the whole two weeks. The nurse kept telling me that I needed to and to push it up against a wall, which I thought was crazy and was a factor in me changing doctors. The first doctor was actually excellent, but not in my insurance network. The second doctor, my current one, is also excellent and in my network. Plus, I trust his staff more which matters. Anyway, I think part of the reason my foot was so difficult to get down was because when I was put into a splint at the hospital before I saw my first doctor, my ankle was not in the best position due to the swelling and break (not because of negligence) and it kinda froze there. After surgery, I think that splint was set at a better angle and I was able to get my foot down much faster when I was put back into the boot. I think it is just one of those things that takes time and patience. Your foot was in one position for a long time and the muscles need time to adjust. Plus, the boot never really held my foot down well even with the pockets blown up. I spent a lot of time pulling it up like a sock even when my heel finally went down.

Honestly, I thought I would be further along now in the aircast, but each step of the whole process for me takes more getting used to all over again. I can walk for a short time with the aircast on and no crutches, or with one crutch, but I pay for it later than night. My foot goes into sausage foot mode from the swelling and becomes uncomfortable. I even have some intemittent pain in my ankle where I never did before sometimes. I don't think anything is wrong per se, just how my body reacts. I make a point to practice walking every day and do my range of motion exercises. I am taking my walking slowly because I am also making the point to walk as normally as I can so I don't pick up any bad habits. Still hard when the aircast limits my movements. I am going to call up the doctor's office on Monday to see if I can try walking without the aircast on so I can walk more normally. It is a process no matter what.

I am happy to hear of your progress! It is a monumental milestone to get that freedom back even if it comes with limits!! Being upright makes so many task so much easier and real progress begins. At least that is how I feel. Please keep me posted and feel free to share any tips you have! Happy walking!!

Gina

• Edited

Hello Gina, it's been 8 days for me and I'm trying to walk with one crutch it's hard but I try to do my doctor told me this is what I should be doing in this amount of time I can't do physical therapy because of the virus I hope everything works out with you. I was so happy to hear from you I was scared to bother you!!! as I get tips I will share them because I call and bug my doctor to death😂

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Ayanna,

Please don't be afraid to reach out, I love hearing how you are doing. This is something that if you haven't broken your ankle or foot, you cannot understand all the craziness that comes with it. I would have never guessed all the difficulties that come with a fractured ankle, way beyond what I could have imagined before I broke bones. I have a wonderful support system at home, but there are some things they just cannot understand. I appreciate that we have been sharing our experiences with each other and other people who do get all the nuances that come with this kind of experience. It is another form of support that is needed outside of mine here. So thank you, it is greatly appreciated!

Btw, can you send me in a private message the links you were trying to put in your message? The moderator wouldn't let them be posted publicly. I would like to see them 😃

And one more thing, I was walking around last night throughout my house without my crutches!! Woo hoo! Was even able to pick up one of my cats and carry her! Been too long.

Looking forward to hearing about your next win! Sstay safe and more happy walking!

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, YOU GO GIRL YOU REALLY WALKING!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I COULD PICK UP MY PURSE, CAR KEYS AND WALK OUT THE DOOR😂😂😂 I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU I'M BOUNCING AROUND WITH THIS ONE CRUTCH SOON I WILL GET IT. HOW CAN I SEND YOU THE VIDEO I'M TRYING TO FIND THE PRIVATE MESSAGE BUTTON

• Posted

Hey Gina, I'm finally weight bearing with the boot on. in still using the crutches and I hate it. I can't walk without it. I start therapy next week so i hope that could speed up the process I'm ready to throw the boot and crutches away. How are you doing? How's weight bearing for you I know you out there walking and driving like a pro. When I received your message I had a big smile on my face you brighten my day. Yesterday it was raining and cloudy so I was in some pain not to much just some. I hope all is well with you please keep in touch so glad you reach out❤😘

• Posted

Hello Ayanna!

Glad you are progressing and about to start therapy! I hated crutches too!! I actually was able to put mine away into the closet a few days ago, hooray! I am officially walking without any aids, but it is slow going. And it hurts by 6 pm and swells all around my foot where my ankles are. Looks like a sausage. Been doing range of motion exercises, trying to build muscles in my legs up and paying close attention to how I am walking, but it goes as fast as it wants to go. I go to my doctor again on May 7th (my bday actually) and I am hoping to get good news about a work release, fingers crossed!

How has your foot been doing? Have you been dealing with swelling, pain, and/or nerve issues? My foot spasms all the time, although not painfully. Just spasms. I walked too much yesterday (or had my foot down a lot) so today I am paying for it. Taking it easy today, resting it up for tomorrow. Please let me know how you are doing!

Don't know if you will experience the same thing, but my injured foot feels temperature differently than my good foot. I have tile in my house and every time I step on it, it feel like I am stepping in cold water at first. It's really weird, lol! It started when I was at the doctor's office the first time I put my foot to the ground and told the nurse that there was water on the floor. He laughed and said that no, it was my foot. I think it happens enough that he wasn't surprised by it.

Keep walking, you won't have those crutches for long, and it will be much easier once you can ditch the boot. The height of it was so awkward for me, so walking it the Aircast went much smoother. Good luck, I am rooting for you!!

Gina

• Edited

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you. I wish you nothing, but happiness and I wish you many more wonderful birthdays 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎈🎈🎈🎈🎁🎁🎁🎁🎈🎈🎈🎉🎉🎉🎉🎈 I wanted to tell you early because I know tomorrow I will be busy with this stupid physical therapy and I'm getting so mad because it's been 9 weeks and I still can't walk. Anyways enough about my problems enjoy your day and I hope you get great news tomorrow. So glad I met a wonderful computer friend on this patient board you have helped me in ways you will never know ❤❤❤😘😘

• Posted

I just got this!! It never sent me a notification!! Thank you so much!! If you hadn't said on your post today about this, I would have never known!! You are so sweet!! 😊😊😊Thank you ayanna!!

• Posted

Hello Gina, Not a problem I keep saying in my head don't forget to tell Gina Happy Birthday. I'm glad you were able to walk for your birthday. I hope as times goes by, you get stronger and stronger 😘❤

• Posted

i had my surgery around the same time you did feb 21

had follow up and stiches taken out and put into cam boot. started weight baring as tolerated eith crutches n boot.

my doc didnt see me for second follow up because of virus outbreak

called me over phone & said come back in 6 1/2 weeks

been in boot for almost 5 weeks this week

today tried to get off one crutch , but my ankle still has pain where metal plate is.

ive had no pt either because of virus , i feel sad i dont know what else im supposed to be doing other than my stretches for my ankle

梁梁梁梁

• Posted

Hey Marie 1952, I'm sorry that you are having pain. I'm going to give you this advice my doctor gave me yesterday when I went to the doctor. after 6 weeks of non weigh bearing I was allowed to start walking yesterday with the boot on. I can't get into physical therapy because of the virus, but he told me I could do it at home. the alphabet with your ankle and pulling on your ankle with a towel. Another thing he said was for me to do in one week start walking with one crutch around the house. the second week start walking with no crutches. The 3rd week he wants me to put on a shoe for 3 hours a day and walk in a shoe by doing this you are getting your strength back, but imma do it for 8 hours in the house online the house or you could go outside walking from corner to corner to get use to it. and by the 4th week I should be ok. My next appt is May 14, 2020 and he's removing the boot that day. I think you should start doing this now so when your appt come you will be all set to go. I could start back driving in 2 weeks from yesterday's date which I think is going to be impossible, but I'll try. I'm still having some pain in my ankle, but not as bad. Good Luck to you and when you start doing this please reach out and let me know how it's going!

• Posted

thank you hun , i will try again today to use one crutch , its so scary because i feel like im going to fall without one..

i gotta work on that , ill look up videos on pt.

just standing on my ankle it still hurts is that normal like when you stand that it hurts on the left side where the plate is?

thank you again so much i appricate it 

• Posted

Hey Marie 1952, Yes, it is normal to hurt when you stand on it and yes it's the plate. my doctor said that you will notice the pain will eventually go away. I be feeling like I'm going to fall too it's normal we are learning to walk all over again we are so use to depending on our crutches that we think we going to fall. I'm about to practice walking now again let me know how it goes when you put the shoe on. As always I'm here for you I feel like we could get through this together good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.