After 6 weeks of non weight bearing I could now bear weight!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

HELLO EVERYONE, I AM PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT I COULD NOW BEAR WEIGHT AFTER 6 WEEKS OF NOT WALKING. I HAD SURGERY ON FEB 27, 2020 AND I BEEN IN A WALKING BOOT SINCE MARCH 11, 2020. I MUST WALK IN MY BOOT UNTIL MAY 14. OT FEELS KIND OF WEIRD BUT I'M HAPPY. TO THOSE WHO JUST IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS JUST REMEMBER YOU WILL GET THERE TIME WILL HEAL ALL YOUR WOUNDS IT MAY SEEM LIKE IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, BUT IT'S NOT GOOD LUCK TO ALL I WILL BE STILL ON HERE FOR ANYONE THAT NEEDS ADVICE❤

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

So I was released this week to weight bear with out the boot, but with an aircast on (looks like a splint). I was able to walk with partial weight bearing on the boot for 3 weeks before this, but honestly didn't feel ready to push too much. I am putting nearly full weight on it now with 2 crutches and a little with one crutch. I do feel the plate, but I feel the top of my foot where it joins my leg more. And the foot does swell some after walking and feels weird because of the swelling. I am still elevating and icing at least once a day. I am so glad to be here after no weight bearing, and I am not complaining, really, but it is not without it's issues, too. My point is that even with our new steps (pun intended), we still have weird feelings we have to contend with. In a way, I feel as though physically where the sensations in my foot are concerned I have gone a little backwards, but know logically I haven't. I am using parts of my body that have been limited for too long and my foot is complaining from the effort. I know I have to push through it to get passed it. I know it is scary to try to walk when there is a fear of doing too much, or not knowing how to interpret what you are feeling. I think you will know, your body will tell you. When I first started weight bearing, I would push one day (not too much), but then go easier on the next as I needed. That worked for me. Ayanna's doctor has been more precise about treatment than mine and I think she was given great advice. That is what makes this forum so helpful, the shared experience and things we have learned. Listen to your body above all else and do what you can. Maybe you can teladoc with your surgeon's office to ask what more you can be doing? I think sometimes the doctors forget that this isn't normal for us and we need more guidance. I wish you much luck, speedy healing and safety! Keep us posted!

• Posted

Congrats Ayanna!!!! You have made it to a MAJOR milestone for sure! I feel so discouraged - now at 5 weeks, but still don't really see any improvement in the sensation on the bottom of my foot. I feel like I've taken a major step backwards in the past 2 days with almost incessant burning on the bottom of my foot. I have been massaging my toes and plantar foot where I can get to them (outside the cast), but continue taking ibuprofen, acetaminophen around the clock along with gabapentin and Norco at night. Discouraging. Several days ago, I was going about 12 hours without any pain medication....and then....back to square one it seems. It is really hard to stay hopeful. I have much anxiety about the future and am afraid I have CRPS. One more week in the hard cast, then...on to boot. I know you have said it DOES GET BETTER....but I am so afraid this is NOT NORMAL. WHY are the nerves on the bottom of my foot so damaged? Why doesn't it seem to improve? The sensations have turned to burning, gravel sensation now. It is hard to be present for my two year old twins, my husband, my job.....I feel like an emotional wreck.

• Posted

Hello!

I've found it so reassuring to read such a variety of experiences from patients on this thread. I broke all three ankle bones while hiking on 12/28/2020 and had tri-mal surgery on 1/8/21. One plate and 10 screws inserted. My PA has now OK'd me to progress through the weight-bearing process of 25%-50%-75%-100%, spending a week in each phase. Still using crutches and in a CAM boot.

However, I seem stuck! I can't seem to get beyond 50% without significant pain. Does anyone have tips for pushing through the pain, or how to tell what pain is normal/ not normal? After a particularly painful evening with lots of swelling, I typically take it easier the next day, elevating it more, , but then it's like going backwards again. Dr's office just gives vague advice such as " you're the boss" and " do what you can tolerate." I like specifics and am worried how I would know if something isn't right. I don't return for next appointment for 17 days and I live 2+ hours away from ortho's office!

Send advice!

• Posted

what type of surgery did you have i had a ankle fusion 10 days ago and can't wait to get in the boot not enjoying non weight bearing

• Posted

i hope your still monitoring... i broke my ankle in June 2022, surgery, cast, walking boot . now in walking boot with green light for weight bearing and PT. i love this forum. so good to hear from similar stories! i am trying to walk with a walker. i feel like i forgot how to walk! i know its understandable after not being able to walk , but instead hop with a walker and then scoot with a knee scooter! please tell me it gets better!

• Posted

Hello,

I know this is an older post, hoping it's still being followed. I broke my ankle in October 2022 and now have two plates, rods and screws in my ankle. I had surgery and was put in a cast. When I came home I had 100,% no weight barring I use a walker to get around. since my bedroom is upstairs i had to live downstairs for awhile. I had my cast of in the beginning of November and was put into a boot cast. Still mo weight barring for four weeks. Then I was told i could start partial weight barring 25% each week. I go to phycho therapy while stiil in a boot cast. I now use crutches but having trouble walking. I seem to have picked up a limp using the walker. I have been walking with crutches while using full weight on my ankle. I'm hoping someone could tell me when i could start walking without the boot cast and start wearing a shoe. Please help...

• Posted

i began PWB up to 50% yesterday. when you first started PWB, how mang times per day did you practice walking around and fod how long each time?

• Posted

Hello,

I know this is an older post, hoping it's still being followed. I broke my ankle in October 2022 and now have two plates, rods and screws in my ankle. I had surgery and was put in a cast. When I came home I had 100,% no weight barring I use a walker to get around. since my bedroom is upstairs i had to live downstairs for awhile. I had my cast of in the beginning of November and was put into a boot cast. Still mo weight barring for four weeks. Then I was told i could start partial weight barring 25% each week. I go to phycho therapy while stiil in a boot cast. I now use crutches but having trouble walking. I seem to have picked up a limp using the walker. I have been walking with crutches while using full weight on my ankle. I'm hoping someone could tell me when i could start walking without the boot cast and start wearing a shoe. Please help...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.