After 8 years of PMR I have relapsed AGAIN

Posted , 14 users are following.

I Flared up again in 09/2017. I have never been down to zero on Prednisone dose, but I was comfortable at 5 mg for years. My doctor insisted that I tapered to zero every time I increased my dosage for relapse. I have been up and down since last September. I am currently at 7 mg, but I haven't been comfortable since I was last at 10mg. I am almost as bad off as I was in 2010 with PMR. My doctor's now refuse to give anything above 7 mg, because they my blood work does not support PMR diagnosis. I would really appreciate advice on what to. Thanks

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It does seem you could manage your PMR fine provided you can get enough pred from a doctor. You would actually be better with a doctor who did not worry too much and prescribed pred than some of the other options you seem to have come across. Is it possible to find another doctor?
    • Posted

Yes, it is possible to find another doctor. I have been using civialian doctors since 2010, because in the past they gave immediate help for help with PMR. I am going back to the VA for treatment. It's a slow process at the VA, but if you can get an appointment the results have always been good for me. The problem is the long wait.

• Posted

As long as you have enough pred to keep you going.
    • Posted

I am definitely not good at writing, or communicating . I know people can tell if they read much of what I write. I cannot respond to all responses, because it takes me to much time to type. The reason I signed back in to "Patient" is that I saw a reply from Christine. I don't remember her numbers after her name. She seemed to know a lot about Prednisone dosage and tapering. I hope I will be able to get advice from her. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

• Posted

Hi Gene, sorry to hear of your plight. I agree with most of the rest of the forum, another Rheumy would be in order. I didn't have that option, so worked hard to educate my Rheumy with the information and knowledge in learned on the forum. It not easy most feel like Gods. I over did it myself again, piriformis in my hip, cycling! Good luck, think positive and try to smile, it helps. ??

• Posted

The doctors I see don't want me to say anything. My symptoms and thoughts only get smirks. They refuse to treat unless blood work supports PMR.

• Posted

Gene, I understand that, my Rheumy threatened to stop seeing me. I gave article after article that were update on PMR, one of the article was a article that a person she knew of had contributed to. Finally she just give me prescriptions and extended my appointment. She is the only Rheumy

is this area. I stayed positive and worked to stay PMR pain free against her advice. Good luck Gene, listen to your body and do what is right for you. Smiling.☺️

• Posted

I would like for someone to help me with the taper a lot of you suggested. DSNS, how do you keep up with what you are doing on such a long drawed out plan, without getting confused.
    • Posted

Use a diary or a calendar and highlighter pens, one colour for old dose, one colour for new dose.

On day 1 you will take a new level dose, mark it in the new dose colour - then count the number of days old dose and mark them with the old dose colour. Rinse and repeat. Cross off the day as you take the tablet

• Posted

Thanks, that will work a lot better than what I have been doing.
    • Posted

Gene, I do much the same, I have a small calendar, I write out the DSNS schedule, the amount for each day all in pencil. Easy to cross off or erase. Since I take pills for several conditions I fill my weekly pill organizer once a week. If I have a flare, like I am now, it easy to make the adjustments. Good luck, stay positive with a smile. ☺️
    • Posted

Yes - should really have added: something you can rub out/erase is probably good and don't do weeks in advance - it is too complicated when you meet an obstacle which you almost inevitably do at some point!

When I was on warfarin my GP used to fill in the first week or two's pattern whe wanted me to use - in pen. I would return the next time with the rest filled in in pencil. She couldn't understand why - until the first itme it went pear-shaped. Rubbers rule! (or for our US friends: Erasers rule! Just doesn't have the same sound though...)

PS - many years ago my British daughter, living in Germany and attending the local US base church and attending Sunday Scool requested a rubber from the teacher. Who promptly dragged her to the Supervisor. Luckily that lady had also lived in the UK and explained gently redface lol

• Posted

Rubber means something else entirely on this side of the Pond.  biggrin
    • Posted

Yes, it does! Funny how we share the same language and meaning can be that different. But I am from the little state of Rhode Island, we have a language alone. We have foods that are only found in RI and different names for items that are found across the country. Funny! ☺️
    • Posted

I know - why I told the tale!!!! Nat was a whole 5 or 6 years old so I can only imagine what the lady concerned thought of me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.