After 8 years of PMR I have relapsed AGAIN

Posted , 14 users are following.

I Flared up again in 09/2017. I have never been down to zero on Prednisone dose, but I was comfortable at 5 mg for years. My doctor insisted that I tapered to zero every time I increased my dosage for relapse. I have been up and down since last September. I am currently at 7 mg, but I haven't been comfortable since I was last at 10mg. I am almost as bad off as I was in 2010 with PMR. My doctor's now refuse to give anything above 7 mg, because they my blood work does not support PMR diagnosis. I would really appreciate advice on what to. Thanks

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gene.  I'm sure a huge number of us that can relate to your situation. I was happy to get to 10 mg last November after more than 4 years.I had a bit of a flare and upped to 12 mg for only a few days. It took me 6 months to get back to 10 just a few weeks ago. I'm now DSNSing to 9.5 mg and it's a struggle with debilitating fatigue (my main symptom on dropping).

I saw a rheumatologist for the first time in May and she wants me off prednisone in 8 months, dropping 1 mg a month. Not going to happen my friend. I've struggled dropping by .5 mg since reaching 17mg. (original dose 40 mg).

I'm waiting to see an endocrinologist in October to discuss if the bioavailabilty of prednisone is part of the reason for my difficulty in reducing. I suspect I may only be absorbing 50% of the dose.

After more than four years I've decided to listen to my own body and mind and apply all the knowledge and experience I've picked up on the PMR forums in managing my situation. It may be patient-based experience, but in my humble opinion it's far more credible than any physician I've ever had the dis/pleasure to meet. I'm holding my breath on how the upcoming endocrinologist appointment will turn out.

So, I guess I'm saying do what you feel is best for you based on your history. You have to decide, If I was in a similar state I'd go back to 10 and stay there until back on firm ground and then start the DSNS  .5 mg drops again.

• Posted

I agree with you. How long should you stay at 10 mg before going higher if you don't get better at 10 and then how much should you go up to next?

• Posted

It's hard to say Gene. Depends on how you're feeling and your own sense of what might work for you.. The decision is very much a personal one.

For example, in my case, if my PMR symptoms began to niggle a bit at 9.5 mg, I'd still wait a few days to see if they get worse. If do, I'd likely go to 12 mg because that resolved my previous minor flare. In that case I stayed at 12 for only 4 days and it almost 6 months to get back to 10! Someone else would find that totally crazy.

I believe it's possible for some to go up 5 mg for a week or two and drop right back to their previous dose.

Sorry, I'm probably confusing you even more.

• Posted

Your not confusing me at all. I am just not sure how long it takes at a certain dose to get relief and not really how long to wait when pain starts getting worse. For instance I took 6 mg for 3 weeks while tapering down and I got so bad off I went to 7mg. I stayed at 7 mg for 3 days, went to 8 mg one day later, next day to 10 mg and today I went to 15. 5 hours later I feel much better. I will stay here for a while and see how it goes. I probably should have gone slower, but I was in need of relief.

• Posted

The main thing is you have the relief you need.  That's great.!biggrin

Personally, when I had a bad flare from reducing too fast from 15 to 10 mg, for me, in year two of PMR, inching up didn't work. I only denied and delayed the inevitable. I eventually accepted going back to 15 and there for two full weeks before starting the DSNS dropping .5 mg at a time.

I can't tell you how many lessons I've learned Gene and many were learned the hard way.redface 

Good luck and don't rush.

• Posted

Jean, I agree with you, hit the flare hard, get the inflammation under control and then reduce quickly to the high level of your DSNS taper. When I didn't do that and followed my Rheumy advice I got in trouble. Lesson well learned! Thinking positive with a smile. ??

• Posted

There really isn't an answer - everyone is different: there is the activity of the underlying disease, how you personally respond to pred as not everyone absorbs the same amount, how much activity you are doing, other problems that can contribute to how you feel.

You really should have given 10mg a few days to work - it would probably have saved going back to 15mg. And when you taper, a good rule is you shouldn't feel any worse after the taper than you did before it. If you have any return of symptoms - go back to the previous dose immediately and wait a few weeks, then try again. Often that is enough for it to work. If the symptoms return a few times at the same sort of dose it is your body telling you that you have reached the lowest dose that manages the symptoms - which is what you are looking for. It doesn't mean you won't get lower - just not yet. Using one of the slow reduction approaches you will find on the forums where you challenge your body with the new lower dose just one day at a time with a few days of the old dose in between means that your body notices the change in dose less - and you are less likely to suffer steroid withdrawal discomfort. It can be so similar to PMR you don't know which it is. Many people panic and go back to the higher dose, thinking it is a falre, when really if you were patient a little bit longer it would settle down. Steroid withdrawal happens as soon as you change the dose and then gets better over time - a flare usually takes several days to start and then gets worse over time. 

A lot of experts say that if you have a flare, a good way to deal with it is to add 5mg to dose where you flared for up to a week. Then go back to 1mg above the dose where you flared. That often is enough and you haven't wasted all that tapering you worked so hard at. As jean says - inching up rarely works well.

But if the flare is not because of overshooting the dose you want and is because the underlying disorder has increased in activity then you MAY need to go back to the beginning because two flares of that sort are rarely the same and you don't know how much will deal with it.

• Posted

I decided to take your advice, so I am going to try 11 mg for a week. I got a powerful response from 15 mg. I guess I overshot,but I have been trying to get stable since last September. I appreciate everyone's help. Sincere thanks .

• Posted

After about 17 years on pred for PMR my rheumo has totally changed his ideas on the treatment after many lengthy discussions with me. But my 2nd GP is still very vague....I mostly tell her what I am going to do...….

I have never got below 5mg (full dose mornings only) successfully...so that will do me for ever as far as I am concerned..... But I did have a major flare last year ( my fault for not recognising the symptoms)… So 25 mg

daily for one month was called for, this now means  a long taper down period for me. to get back to 5mg will

take me about 2 years. From 25 to 10 takes me about 3 months.  then it is one quarter mg per month there after.

(for me getting below 10 is extremely slow or I suffer from pred withdrawl)  ,...Withdrawl  is some thing that a lot of people suffer from ,unknowingly , while thinking it is PMR pain related (in my opinion )….

So for the first time I am using my own version of DSNS to drop one quarter mg per month... I am now at 7.5

This I feel, is a critical stage as, this is the range that the body should be starting to produce its own pred...

As for raising doses when things go pear shape ….I would go back to the last ok dose for a week or so, then continue the drop again...… once back on my 5 mg dose, if I have a problem , or dont feel too good for what

ever reason, I up my dose to 10mg for no longer than 3 days (never over 4 days) then drop straight back to 

my usual dose of 5mg (no tapering required)……..  I really feel a lot of peoples PMR problems come from 

gps and rheumos lack of knowledge that sees doses raised and lowered willy nilly , thinking that one rule 

applies to all... unfortunately our PMR requirements appear to be a personal thing , taking into consideration

a basic set of rules

Right or wrong it has taken me years to figure out a( hopefully) correct dosage, the early years were totally

confusing with the aid of my rheumy etc , till I started to get the hang of things...…

So , dont expect to get over PMR in a few short years..... unless you are dead lucky or you dont have PMR....

These days I will never raise my daily dose above 25mg, regardless.....

Bear in mind this is only my opinion of what now suits me personally.

• Posted

Thank you for your opinion. Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I don't think I will ever be off of prednisone,but I am not worried about it. I would like to be on a low dose and be in a tolerable situation. Until I got on the internet, I never have talked to anyone who has PMR. When I first got this stuff the doctor said it only lasted 6 months to 2 years.

• Posted

"When I first got this stuff the doctor said it only lasted 6 months to 2 years."

In his dreams!!! I do wish I knew where they get these ideas from. I have read an awful lot about PMR over the years - and 6 months to 2 years has never figured anywhere! Nor have I met many people whose PMR went away that quickly - a few with 2 years but none significantly less.

I can only assume that when it doesn't go away in 2 years they decide it isn't PMR and give up on the patients. Or they misdiagnosed patients with palindromic or reactive arthritis as having PMR.

• Posted

The trouble is most of the literature mentions around two years as if that is a sort of maximum, which then gets stuck in their heads. It does not really stress it could be a lot longer and if a longer time is mentioned it just sounds more like an afterthought. Or perhaps they don’t want to depress their patients by saying you could have it for a long time right at the beginning. I was really told nothing about the illness just take pred and you will be running around when I next see you as if nothing has happened. 
    • Posted

I am sure I have PMR. I have read everything I could find about it. When I read these articles it's like they are taking specifically about me.

• Posted

Gene, I do not know where the Rheumatologist are getting their information, but article after article some of which are on the forum web site are stating that PMR last much longer, if not for ever. It is a shame that they are not reading the updated information from their own associations. Good luck think positive and try to smile. ☺️
    • Posted

Yeah right - you could have them under the Trades Descriptions Act maybe?
    • Posted

Good thought. Their defence would probably be that they are unable to read!
    • Posted

PMR isn't the only thing here that I gain an education about.  This Yankee is thinking...."Trades Description Act????" so of course I had to look up what you were referring to! lol Such a nice title for laws dealing with skullduggery.

• Posted

TheRaven, this old SwampYankee just learned something new also. Always learning on the FORUM! ☺️
    • Posted

We've just had a thread over on the HU forum saying much the same thing!  OTOH - calling it the Skullduggery Act would be SO much more apt... Particularly given the current gubmint!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.