After Abdominal Myomectomy

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 27 yrs old and i had an abdominal myomectomy on March 1st. They took out 3 fibroids; 4 1/2 cm, 3 1/2 cm and smaller one (which my doctor didn't specify size). They reopened my c section incision from 10 years ago. It has been a heck of a recovery. Each day holds something different for me. It slowly is getting better but have noticed a few things. For example yesterday, i felt really lightheaded and nauseaous. It couldn't be percocet because I took that at 420am. I have also been feeling a lot of lower back pain? Is this all normal?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya,

It's still early days and from my own experience (now 13 days post op) I still have the odd light headed times. In fact today, I feel like I've taken a step back as I've felt weaker and light headed plus back ache in my lower back this evening, which I've not had for a good few days. I've rested most of today too but I was up and about more yesterday.

From what I've read, it's normal to have good days and then days where you feel totally exhausted....

I think the back ache could be either to do with sitting or lying around or just our insides resettling?

I felt nauseous in the first week until my appetite picked back up.

• Posted

Thank you! I talked to my doctors nuese today. She said it could be also the gas left in my stomach that they had to put during surgery. Did you have a catheter during your surgery?
  • Posted

I'm so sorry it's a tough recovery, and hopefully it will be worth it👍🏾 I have had two ab myo...The first one was tough for a number of reasons. One of which was I got an infection that threw me back in the hospital for a bit. It started with what you described. Of course, I'm the extreme case😜 Have you checked out the side effects of Percocet? They are what you describe.

Yet, above and beyond what I just typed...Call you doctor or nurse...You should've been discharged with a number to phone if you have any questions or concerns. It may be the side effects of the meds and normal healing from a MAJOR surgery or it could be the sign of something not so right. The quickest way to find out is to give your medical team a call 😊

Good healing vibes

• Posted

Thank you! Wow you had 2 abd myomectomies? So your fibroids came back?

Nurse called me back short while ago and said its normal. Possibly from sitting a lot and also gas the doxtor had to put in me during surgery. I feel better today other than back pain.

• Posted

Yes I had an abdominal hysterectomy with a catheter which they took out the next morning.

Funny enough I've had a build up of gas this afternoon again and now back ache so it could all be to do with the gas. I've been resting more today as I've been shattered so not been up and about as much.

• Posted

Was your vagina and levia skin swollen after? I notice mine was especially on the right side.

• Posted

Yes, the first time (Oct. 2010) I asked to just get the biggest ones, as I wasn't sure on whether I wanted to carry and/or adopt. The second time, I was fed up and told them to go to town, slice & dice up my uterus...leave nothing behind. I am anemic and have heavy periods...Recently, my doctor wanted to see if the fibroids had returned, as the surgeons from the second operation (Feb. 2015) put in their notes "removed all visible fibroids". Sure enough, I have a few small ones...I can't recall whether my Gyn said 3 or 5cm was the largest. *sigh* Unfortunately, I didn't get an ultrasound after the operation...So, we have no clue if these are new or growing from something teeny tiny left behind.

Anywho, happy healing and if you can get a heat pad for your lower back that totally helped me out👍🏾

• Posted

Thank you! I wish you the best as well. I hope mine do not come back. I read a lot on prevent and minimizing the risk of coming back. Resources say that exercising on a daily basis and eating healthy helps a lot.

My surgeon claims he didnt see anymore either but i will make sure to check every 6 months or so.

Initially i never knew i had the fibroids. Over the past 6 months my periods became heavier and more painful. Other symptoms included lower back pain, nausea, unbearable cramps and bloating. In January these symptoms stood for abt 3 weeks and had to miss work. I met with my primary and she madr several guesses to what it could be but she was wrong. She kept prescribing me meds that didnt work. I got really upset and expressed to her that there was something else wrong. I insisted for a cat scan or any other testing that can see what was going in my body. She referred me to Gastrology and he gave me cat scan. Thats when he found i had something in my cervix (which he couldnt tell what it was since that wasnt his area), a small kidney stone and ruptured cyst in my ovary.

I was in shock!! Wow all this was in my body. Then i met with my Gyn and he said i had mulitple fibroids. So i got an ultrasound done and this confirmed everything. He went over all options regarding my fibroids; birth control, myomectomy or hysterectomy (which he wouldnt do since i am young and possibly wanted more children).

Birth control pills doesnt make sense because all it is is a bandaid to the fibroids. When you come off pain may be worse and fibroids are still there. Which means if i get pregnant i may have complications.

• Posted

Yay, it's really crazy how much our body can endure before we start to realize something is really truly off...especially when your busy.

So, glad you were eventually able to figure it out! Not everyone's come back and if they do they may not cause life interfering symptoms. Don't be jealous that I'm one of the lucky ones that they keep returning to😂

When I was an intern, I was just nose to the grindstone. Rolling out of the bed at the last minute to rush out of the door and dragging arse home again. It was 2 days after I completed my intern hours that I did a cat stretch. I remember thinking, "Omg! How long has it been that I leisurely stretch and got out of bed." I looked down at my stomach and noticed a tennis ball like protrusion sticking out of my abdomen. I went to my roommate and asked her if she was seeing what I was seeing. She was shocked! I went to the bathroom (#2) and when I went to look at my abdomen again t was gone. That went on randomly for a few days and I realized whenever I had to poop whatever it was, was being pushed outwards. Called dr and everything was rushed...turns out the biggest one was the size of a small melon. They were so amazed at how my body fit all the fibroids inside without showing. Of course, it explained why I had so many symptoms: painful sex, constipation, pain, etc.

Let your body fully recover and don't rush it! I read of so many who rush their healing process. Then, I read how they pay for it later. Be kind to your body! You need it😊

• Posted

Yes! On day 3 after the op, I woke up and felt a bit weird down below and when I got up and took a look I was shocked to find the whole right side of my labia was black and swollen! I went back to the hospital to be checked and they said it's bruising and swelling which has gravitated south! Sure enough the other side was swollen the next day too. For the last week my whole bikini area hip to hip downwards has come out in bruising and felt really heavy. It's finally gone down but still a bit tender and bruised. All this has given me more pain than the incision itself!

Some of the people I know who've had hysterectomies didn't have any of this swelling or bruising so I just assumed it was because I'm very petite?!

• Posted

Hello I M unmarried having fibroid and my surgery is planned next week .BT I have high fever.backaches. shoulder pain even when I M sleeping and cough from 2 weeks.I m already v weak pls tell me how was ur experience of myomectomy and wt I should do before operation. Wt things I should take to hospital. ..?
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that you are going through all this pain and discomfort. I promise things will get better.

Make sure your surgeon knows all your symptoms especially your fever. The most important thing is for you to think positive!! Do not go in stressing abt anything. Believe and have faith all will go well and this is all temporary. This is a mind battle especially while recovering. Its helpful when you have a support system too.

Wear and bring comfortable clothes. It will be tough during the beginning. You will not be able to do the following by yourself; restroom, shower, move, etc.

Make sure to ask all questions to your prior to surgery and after your surgery. Communicate with your nurses. It's been 8 days since my surgery and its been slowly getting better. It's a rollercoaster. Lately i have been dealing with severe back pain and anxiety. I went to see my doctor today abt it and he reassured me that im healing GREAT. It could possibly be my kidney stone causing my lowet back pain.

Make sure after surgery not to overdue yourself but get yourself up and moving. Avoid staying stuck on couch or bed. Most importantly, be patient!!! This is what i keep telling myself. Breath!

Prayers and best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery! Please feel free to ask me any questions.

• Posted

Yeah, the cough stayed with me for about2 days. Doc said it was the breathing tube and anesthesia. They made me use a spirometer 3x per hour while on admission to prevent pneumonia. They also gave me mucinex when the cough threatened to undermine my stitche s. You should expect a fever under 100 F. However, what you are describing seems more serious. Hope you are much better.
  • Posted

I am in so much pain

Had a Robotic Surgery or Myomectomy. I stayed the night and was released the next day to which i returned with severe pain 2 days later. I was nauseous and had boils near the wound site. I had a temperature. I have severe pain and told them I had a hernia begoee they operated i believe they either loosened something . the pain started off in the top of my abdomen and as of today 6 days Post Op. The bulge amd pain moved. The only time it doesnt hurt is when im laying down. Soon as I sit up the pain is unbearable. I dont know what to do or what could be wrong but the pain that was at top of stomach as movedto my left side. I cant bend or stoop either.

• Posted

hi. I saw this forum was a little old. but anyway, it was very informative as well.

I had my Abdominal Myomectomy last NOV 14 2017 with 1 Submucosal fibroid. It was diagnosed last June 2017 since I was surprised having 2times period in June. Pelvic Ultrasound shows presence of the fibroid. OBGyn decided not to removed at that time since i am planning to have a baby. they advised me to start Clomid tab but unsuccessfull. as months passed by, menstruation period got worse, and last October we had second opinion in Philippines regarding my condition and advised was to do the surgery. 

As of the moment, I am 5 days Post Op and still in recovery. They discharged me 2days post op to encourage me to mobilized at home. Moving into bed and chair is really struggle.

I just want to asked if did anyone experience bloating of their tummy on post op? and feeling of contractions or cramps (as if feeling in labor)? my abdomen is more bigger now than before the surgery. My bowel is normal everyday and as of now, did not experienced constipation. Vaginal bleeding started today but not heavy. I dont know if its menstrual period already since i already have in the 2nd week of Nov before my admission.

they gave me 4 weeks leave and my follow up check up will be sunday next week.

i will be very happy for any response. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi femiEstefani

I am now in my 6th week after surgery and I want to share my experience with you and the community. 

Bloating is a known side effect - my abdomen was so swollen that for a few days post op I felt my skin pulling (I am very slim). Swelling gradually went down with the weeks, now my abdomen is still a tiny bit bigger than before surgery and sore if I touch anywhere below my belly button. 

In terms of recovery, overall for me the biggest challenge has been to gauge how much I can do. Once I went out for lunch and I was fine, then a week after I went out for dinner and I fainted. If I go out more than 2-3 hours, I am in pain and I need to rest loads for few days after. I always blame myself when I feel tired after doing something but the truth is I am learning as I go and I'm testing my limits. My advise is to be very patient and don't blame yourself even if you are frustrated and do exactly what the doctors said for your specific case. 

Wishing you and all the ladies a smooth recovery. Take it easy! x 

• Posted

Reading about other people experience is very encouraging and helpful.

l just had my abdominal myometomy last December, presently 12 days post surgery. 4 firbriod were removed and am still on the recovery stage.

The first 3 days were the worst days but with the help of the pain medication it's been ok pain wise.

After the surgery l had little bleeding for a week, after one of week of bleeding i started experiencing some itching in the line in between my bum and my private part, and afterwards

started having some viginal discharge with horrible smell.

Pls did anyone experince this? Is this normal? I am so worried.

• Posted

Hi mimi, 

I also bled for a week after surgery and that bleeding had a foul smell. However after that episode, I had no suspicious discharge or strange periods (my wounds are on the outside wall of the uterus).

If I was in this position would definitely call the doctor right-away (either the surgeon or the general practitioner). Worrying does not resolve the problem however calling the doctor does smile 

Good luck, x

• Posted

Hi Marti

Yes you are right. I will have to call the doctor. Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Hi femiEstefani (and others),

This response is late but I just had open myomectomy surgery 10 days ago. Had 6 potato sized fibroids and nine small almond sized ones removed. Hump below belly button still swollen. Did a lot of walking per physician's orders Day 2 post-op. Walked 1.5 miles in hospital (light walk). Repeated 3rd day. Discharged 3rd day and walked~3 miles each day through Day 6 post - op. started taking Omega3, Magnesium and 2000 mg Vit C. After first dose, started feeling a lot of wiggly sensations in the hump. Like fluid or gas. Hope its the fluid breaking up because my lymphatic system is now draining faster. By the way, I did not need pain medication by Day 5 post- op. I am so glad I got the monsters out. My physician was so good my blood loss was barely there. my hemoglobin only dropped about 0.5 points. So I don't have to deal with anemia. Will keep reading your other thoughts and sharing my recovery.

• Posted

Hi mimi28608. I am a month post op from ab myo and yes it was and still till now one hell of a ride. I still get to experience abdominal pains. A week after I was discharged from the hospital, I got my period and that was by far the most painful dysmenorrhea I have ever felt. I just continued with the pain medications my OB prescribed and told myself that my body is still adjusting, thus the menstrual pain.

It was after a few days from hospital discharge that I experienced vag itch and I just can't help it but scratch it for relief but unfortunately due to over scratching it bled so I went back to my OB and was prescribed antifungal suppository for a week. Thank heavens I was responding well and no more itch down there. Maybe, it was caused by all the antibiotics intravenously and orally I was given in the hospital that triggers those "itch-agents" to wake up and annoy me.

I know my reply is late but hoping you are doing well now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.