After catheter removal I pee fine for a few days and then less until I need a catheter again

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have twice now had a catheter removed and peed fine at first and it gradually stops The first time it last five days and the last time twice as long. What could cause this? Anyone else had the same experience. My urologist seems to have no idea what causes this.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ken

Did you initially have a catheter fitted long term by any chance?

• Posted

The initial catheter was just a couple of weeks. I could not pee  when I had a viral infection. However it may not have had anything to do with the infection. I have an enlarged prostate that no doubt caused it. I first had the catheter in in January. When first taken out I could not pee at all and had it put back in right away.
    • Posted

When you could not pee, how much was your bladder distended to?  There's a poster who said 1.3Liters was a "breakpoint" from which a bladder may not come back.  However, one male poster stated he had 7 liters.  I had 2 Liters when the bladder scanner was finally used on me, and a Foley put in almost immediately.  Too bad that I had to wait for 4 hours or so in ER, which caused more urine to retain.

Btw, I drink much less now.  No liquid after 8pm (except for medical sipping.)

• Posted

I have had a catheter on and off since February but since July I have been using a valve not a bag. I had the catheter removed after a cystoscopy over a week ago and I am still peeing fine so far. My urologists says that sometimes the peeing stops due to what he calls a tired bladder. I guess the bladder muscle gets old and tired just like others! He said often it cannot be helped. However, so far everything is working and the tired bladder still is functioning this time.

• Posted

I have cathater in for a year I pee some but have to unplug my cathater to empty I don’t know why they could not find a way to not need a cathater modern medicine sucks
    • Posted

randal, I suggest doing CIC.  What that is if you are not familiar, is that you only insert the catheter, in your penis, when you feel like you have to pee.  That way, you are not wearing a catheter all the time.  You will feel much better if you do this, then wearing a catheter all the time.  I used to wear a catheter all the time for several months, and it felt uncomfortable.  Now, I only insert a catheter when I have to pee, and it feels really good, not wearing a catheter all the time, and my bladder, is empty.  With my bladder empty, I can go for many hours, before having to pee again.  Try it, you'll will feel much better!

Aloha,

Dennis

• Posted

I have used self-catheterization but I find it distressing to use it. I get the urge to go fairly often so I had to do it five or six times a day. I prefer to use the catheter with flip flo valves. I still dont have any explanation as to why when the catheter comes out I can go fine for a few days and then pee less and less.
    • Posted

Unplug to empty????  All my bags have a let-go valve.  I don't get it. 

• Posted

That is self-catheterization. I have done it a number of times after I could no longer pee properly. I dont like it. I prefer a cather with a valve. However I have had my catheter out for more than a week and I am peeing fine so far. I advise people who have a long term catheter to use a valve rather than a bag. It keeps your bladder in better shape and is more convenient. Flip flo is a popular brand made by Baird and does not cost much about six dollars Canadian.

• Posted

Hi Ken

I had a similar problem when I was in hospital after an accident at work, I couldn't pee at all so had a catheter fitted, I was sent home with this and basically "forgotten about" 5 weeks later I ended up with an infection which spread to my testicles "Orchitis" and it was agony the worst pain I have ever known, I felt like jumping out of the window,

I was in hospital again for a week to get rid of the infection and eventually lost my left ball !

didn't help I still have the same pain where the testical was, some kind of phantom pain,

I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder (for the urinary problems) 

You need to get a Urodynamics test to see if you have neurogenic bladder,

I now don't get any urge to pee so I have to have catheters all the time, I use disposable caths 4 times a day. I hate it my partner helps me,

I use throw away catheters because there is far less risk of infection then using an indwelling catheter all the time,

You don't want orchitis/epididymitis trust me,

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hello I have had urodynamics tests done I have cystitis of the wall of the bladder the hospital tried to remove my bladder but caused more problem so left with constant cystitis that cannot be treated so I constant pain daily I now have an illiostomy bit of a pain in the but but better than it was
    • Posted

Sounds like a bad condition. I have no trouble having the sensation I have to pee. When the catheter is first out everything seems to work as it should. However, I then pee less and less until I need constant self-catheterization.
    • Posted

Thanks for your post, and advice.  I'm on an indwelling and want to get rid of it too but the bloody complication from the Foley removal and my 1st self-cath am making me "weak".

• Posted

The ER nurse told me that 100% of indwelling catheters result in infections.  That's why I was rushing into self-cath.  But, it wasn't to be.

• Posted

Your condition is obviously worse than mine. I had my catheter out a week ago and I am still peeing fine so far. I dislike self-catheterization although my urologist says it is better than a catheter. I preferred the catheter with a valve but I am glad to be rid of the catheter entirely and hope it can stay out. My case shows that there is always hope even if taking the catheter out has failed several times in the past. Self catheterization or using the valve is far better than using a bag with the catheter I believe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.