After catheter removal I pee fine for a few days and then less until I need a catheter again

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have twice now had a catheter removed and peed fine at first and it gradually stops The first time it last five days and the last time twice as long. What could cause this? Anyone else had the same experience. My urologist seems to have no idea what causes this.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello I hope this helps when having a catheter your bladder will become lazy I have an illiostomy but still have my bladder that does not work I had drastic operation to have a pee bag on my tummmy i have has Supr pubic catheter each time you have a catheter the lazier your bladder will become god bless I feel your frustration
    • Posted

Hi Tina

Could I possibly ask you something about suprapubic cath?

• Posted

Did you use a bag or a valve..Long term use of the bag often makes the bladder no longer function. Using a valve means that your bladder fills up as it would regularly rather than being empty all the time. I had to find out myself about valves as here they seem to automatically use leg and bed bags. I am in Manitoba.  In the UK they use valves as the preferred treatment for long term catheterization. One study showed that those using valves had much better rates of ability to pee after catheters were removed.
    • Posted

I don't know anything about those. Sorry.

• Posted

That what my urologist said I had a tired bladder. However I was going longer each time it was removed and now it has been fine for over a week so it looks good. I think having a valve is much better for the bladder than a bag which keeps your bladder empty all the time. The urologist said self-catheterization is best but I hate it.

• Posted

Hi Ken, sorry to hear.  I'm going on a similar route, very soon, and your thread could be helpful.

Last night, I surfed the 'net and learned that after Foley's are removed, there is a 70% chance of having to re-Foley.  Ouch.  My uro never said that.

I'm guessing that the cause must be found, and eliminated, for our Foley's to stay removed.

I'm doing squat defecation and will sit-urinate.

And breath work.  My Systolic has gone down from 155's to 140's or lower.

Am also going to a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner for herbs.  I'm going to have diagnostic ultrasound and/or 3T MRI, if the Foley has to be re-inserted once the TCM "experiment" is over.

• Posted

Good luck. If you need long term catheterization I would advice using a valve rather than a bag. It is better for the bladder and more comfortable.

• Posted

I read a study:  70% of cath removal resulted in the cath being put back in.  There was no time-frame as to how long the patients were on the cath's iirc.

My friends say to have the cath removed quick .. so I'm going to test soon, this time at a hospital, not by a locum.

• Posted

Imo there is not nearly enough discussion on the web about the details of urinary retention and bladder problems.

• While many men (as I did) try to bear the problems of BPH on their own, their bladders are stretching with negative consequences. Because of that, even after prostate surgery or without a major obstruction, it is possible to not be able to urinate. And that means some kind of catheter at least short term.
    • I found a urologist who specializes in bladder issues and I will be having a a Urodynamic Test. This will check the pressure which I can create in the bladder.
    • I am currently using a Foley catheter with no bag (with a FLIP-FLO valve). It's more convenient but one urologist I spoke with said this would not improve my bladder strength and he said self catheterization would be the preferred choice. So, after the end of this month, if the test result shows my bladder pressure is too weak, I will be trying out self catheters. (At another urologist office the hooked tip one did not go in. I expect to try the ones with the straight tip.)
  • Posted

I have had my catheter removed since October 18th and this time everything seems to be working fine.

I have had the catheter out several times before but after a short period of working ok the urination gradually stopped until I had to do self catheterization and then had a catheter put back in but with the Flip Flo valve.

I think the system is working because of my use of the flip flo valve. It is not only more comfortable than the bag but is better for the bladder since it just fills and empties as it naturally would rather than being empty all the time, It should be the system of choice for long term catheterization IMHO. I find self-catheterization very stressful but two urologists suggest it is better than a catheter. I really think the danger of UTI is just as dangerous if not more so especially if you are not careful to be very clean,. Good luck,. Hope you are able to do without as I am doing, I keep a record of my pee to ensure that I am urinating at least within the same range and it is normal or above, It is above but I have diabetes and I also drink lots of water.

• Posted

Hi Ken; I'm curious about what you mean about keeping a record of your pee. I assume you urinate in a container which shows the # of CCs of liquid. Why are you checking for the normal range of urination? (What is normal?) Is that to prevent the bladder from having too much liquid? Or too little?

As for what I can do with catheters, I see in your system you are able to self-cath. And then you get a Foley cath (with the Flip Flo valve) at the urologist office. That makes sense. When you are free of the Foley, and your urination stops, you self-cath as needed for a while. Then when an appointment is available, you can go to the urologist office to get a Foley cath with a Flip Flo valve.

I would consider your system but I haven't been able to self-cath yet. I need to learn to do that.

Twice when I have been without a Foley cath in the last 3 months, I didn't know how to self-cath when my urination stopped very late at night. So, I ended up at the ER (for hours) to get another Foley cath (which I now use with a Flip Flo valve).

• Posted

I hate self-catheterization but did it until I had to do it often and then went to the ER to get the foley with a valve as you have. I used self-cath to check to see if I had much urine left in my bladder.

I have been keeping track of my pee in order to see that I am urinating at least within the normal range so I do not check with a self-cath to see if there is a lot of urine in my bladder. The normal range is from about 800 ml to 2,000. However with diabetes and drinking a lot of water I am ranging from 2,500 to 3,600. I take water pills so my mouth gets dry at night so I drink water at night. The means I pee a lot at night as well. I have no symptoms of an overfull bladder so I presume things are going OK. I have had the catheter out for a month now. What a relief. Good luck I think using the valve rather than the bag helped me a lot.

• Posted

Thanks for the information Ken and congratulations on not having to use a catheter for a month (Foley or self-cath).

In your system when you had a Foley catheter + Flip Flow valve; did you urinate on a schedule or do it when you felt the urge (to keep filling your bladder in a normal range)?

Agreed the Flip Flow valve (Foley catheter with no bag), has been very helpful in being more comfortable moving around.

• Posted

I just used the normal urge at night but sometimes in the day I would pee after several hours without feeling the urge. Mostly I just pee when I feel the urge. It is good that I still feel the urge. I think the valve helped a lot to restore my bladder function. I did not use it until June and had the catheter first in January.

• Posted

Thanks again Ken. It's helpful since it is similar to my situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.