After quitting HRT, it's been two weeks and I've had occasional spotting. Is this normal? I'm 65.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on HRT

pellet insertion for 8 months. I felt good but had periodic spotting and bleeding even after taking twice the dosage of progesterone. I finally gave up on the HRT and now after two weeks I've had occasional spotting but not daily. I feel very fatigued going off the hormones. Has anyone else felt this way or had this happen?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi i have come off my hrt a week ago i have no spotting just thinking wot to take now i am 62 .i find i can not be botherd hope u get there let me know
  • Posted

Suzan it will take some time for those hormones to run their course and completely leave your body.  My guess is the spotting will taper, then eventually stop.  It isn't surprising you are feeling fatigued.  These hormones work on every part of our bodies.  

• Posted

Thanks for your imput. Bleeding scares me..but maybe it's not that uncommon. I may try again in the future after I have a scan.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Why have you stopped the hrt and did you taper off over a period of time? My doctor stopped me abruptly, going back a few years ago, and my life went pear shaped within a number of weeks. When investigated, I had a letter of abject apology from the doctor, as he had no knowledge that it is recommended to come off hrt very, very gradually. I was put back onto hrt immediately. The doctor has since then, tried again to wean me off by prescribing patches, and again within three months I was a basket case! They have now decided that I will always need the hrt to function even fairly normally, but this time it has taken 14 months to feel relatively "normal". There are many women in their seventies and even eighties who are on hrt, so why did you stop if it was working for you?

• Posted

Hi supermack I hope you don't mind me replying but .. I came off mine for 2 weeks & was like you had symptoms back so quick .. could not function awful anxiety hot sweats loss of confidence ! Been back on them going in 4th week now .. only just feeling a little bk to myself .. 2nd time now ... can't imagine coming off them ... I'm 64 now.

• Posted

I quit the HRT becuz I was so tired of bleeding and spotting while on them. My GP doctor's wants me to start low dose hrt in pill form but I am thinking that I should have a scan to rule out fibroids etc. Then, I will try again.

• Posted

Hi Mars,

Thankfully some GP, s can acknowledge that we are not "one size fits all" clones and can admit when they have been wrong! All the different meds that I was prescribed are unused. From anti depressants to beta blockers and sleeping tablets. I still have some joint pain, slight anxiety and bms has come back, but I feel and look a lot more like me, even if I am more a size 14 than the 10/12 I was. I,m 61 and a year ago, one of the doctors prescibed an hrt that would kick start my periods again to see if that would "sort me out"! Honestly, most of them haven't got a clue.

Which hrt do you take if you don't mind me asking?

One thing that concerns me on this site, is the number of women who believe that once they have reached the one year with no periods stage, that all will be wonderful. Post menopause is just as bad as peri, but this doesn't seem to be understood. I read so many posts and feel so sad that all the symptoms seem to carry on.

How are you coping with the anxiety, panics, andrenaline rushes and the flushing?

Please reply.....

• Posted

Hi Mars,

Have you ever had bleeding? That was what frustrated me even after doubling up on progesterone!

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Have you had an internal scan and a biopsy to check just why you were bleeding and which hrt were you on? You shouldn't bleed on a conti hrt.

• Posted

good morning i was pleased to read your comment on ladies in thier 80s still on hrt  i have to fight each time i run out of mine but i am going back to see if i can go back on my premiqu it is early days with the femoston-coni i would like to stay on my old one it suits me 
    • Posted

good morning yes they do not tell you what happens when you stop well mine did not
    • Posted

I was like that all the times i went thay sed no so i keep going back then i sed to her it my life so why not i am 62 now i think do i stop on it because it does help hope you get wot u wont
    • Posted

Hi Suzan,

Conti is taking the same tablet every day with both estrogen and progesterone with no break. I take mine twice a day to spread the dose to avoid any dips, as advised by the gynaecologist.

• Posted

Hi Suzan,

I just realised, if your hrt does not have conti written on it, you are on a cyclical hrt, which causes you to have a bleed!

• Posted

Hi supemack. I take INDIVINA 2/5mg You can have these if symptoms are severe as mine are. I agree with you my post meno is far worse than peri ! I have had to stop these twice. The symptoms are back so quick just awful, this is as I said my 4th week back on them so not yet feeling as I was before, I have since found out you have to very gradually stop them, Not sure if I will be able to thou as my symptoms are so bad.

?Coping is so hard as I just stay in quite a lot as I get days where I just don't seem to be able to out ! Just hoping the HRT kicks I soon I seem to get a good day then not so , Felt great on them before!

• Posted

Hi trish , How were you when you stopped your HRT?
    • Posted

Hi suzan yes I have , my Dr referred me to a gynaecologist who did a scan, this showed I had a Polyp on the womb. She then booked me in for a hysteroscopy where they removed the polyp & took a biopsy. All was fine, I am 64 & take both oestrogen & progesterone. 

• Posted

hi mars777, i have not stoped completley i went from daily abot 5years ago to alternate days ,i did come off once about 3 years ago for a couple of weeks and i was angry all the time with everyone,anything and myself it was my daughter who said the change could have been due to stopping the hrt i did not get any further i started taking them again and as long as i am fine i will continue to take them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.