After surgery complication

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Just been to an appointment with an urologist discussing hydrocele surgery. The urologist is willing to go for a surgery but warned me about the risk related to bleeding and infection. Ultrasound pictures shows a lot of fluid around the right testicle. The testicle is just fine.  I really feel uncomfortable with the hydrocele and I would like to have a surgery.  They have scheduled a surgery in 12 weeks’ time but the information given puts me a strange situation. To go or not to go for the surgery given the risks? Post surgery bleeding in scrotum scares me a lot.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey friend, I had hydrocele surgery preformed
    • Posted

Oops.

Hey friend, I had hydrocele surgery preformed 28 days ago and I am currently very satisfied with the current results. I wouldn't be all to afraid of the general risks of infection or bleeding, unless your doctor specifically mentioned that you are more at risk for these things.

I was frightened at first (because surgery is scary and this was my first) but my surgery went off without a hitch, and the process has been fairly comfortable. I would recommend looking around this fourm as it definitely helped ease my mind about the operation. And i'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about any step of the process.

• Posted

Thanks Needsomeadvice. Did they perform yor surgery under spinal anaesthesia?
    • Posted

No problem smile

I was hooked up to an IV and my understanding that the anesthesia was given to me through there. I'm not really an expert on anesthesia though, but I never heard any of the doctors mention the term "spinal".

• Posted

Just wondering if having a hydrocele had any impact on your fertility? Any problem having kids with hydrocele? I am going for op in a few weeks.

Thank you

• Posted

I'm a young guy (18) so while I certainly haven't been trying to have kids, I doubt that having a hydrocele would impact your fertility in any way. Seems to be a seperate issue entirely.

However now that my surgery is over and done with, it feels as if my sex drive is much higher than before. I'm not sure if this actually related to the operation, as it could be impacted by other factors like stress.

• Posted

My Hydrocele was removed just over 6 months ago.  My left testicle had over 100cc's or about of quart of fluid around it.  I experienced a little pain before the removal, but it was uncomfortable, for all functions.  I was nervous about the operation, but not having it operated on became less of an option.  I knew the right choice was to have my Hydrocele drained.  The bleeding from the wound stopped about 36 hours after surgery.  Ice packed around that area together with Tylenol-3's handled the pain.  After three days, the codiene gave me constipation, and I switched to Ibuprofen.  Surgery was at 9:00 AM on a Friday, the stitches were removed on the following Monday afternoon.  I did walk like a saddle sore cowboy for a few more days, but by Wednesday I could do my daily walk of about 3 miles.  All functions returned after 3 weeks.  Do the operation. Remember ice is your best friend for about a week after surgery.  Relax and try not thinking about it a lot before suurgery day.. I turned 66 a month before surgery,  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Bill

Just wondering if having a hydrocele had any impact on your fertility? Any problem having kids with hydrocele? I am going for op in a few weeks.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi John,

I am going for Op at end of April. I think that they impact fertility so that's my main reason for going. However, at the same time I just want to get rid of the massive ball.

Doing some research and asking doc a few further questions about risks of surgery also.

I'll let you know how I get on. Let me know how things go for you. Thanks,

• Posted

=11.0ptNo problem I will keep you guys updated. In 12 weeks time I will have the surgery. When it coms to anesthesia I think they will perform the surgery offering spinal anesthesia. The urologist wasn't exactly sure the reason for my hydrocele. As far as I know the condition is usually harmless. It cause physical enlargement, it's uncomfortable and it looks awkward. I'm not really sure if the condition impacts your =11.0ptreproductive performance.
  • Posted

I had my op 26 days ago, the cut is mostly healed, but the ball does ache quite a bit still. with long walks being the main issue. However to put it all in context, im not the youngest person at 40+, so the healing time will be longer than a 20 something, and my hydrocele was a rather biggish one due to me leaving it probably longer than I should have. The discharge notes said over 1L of fluid removed.

Dont worry about the bleeding in the scrotum bit, that basically just means a bruise.  The bit about risks your surgen brought up, is standard stuff they need to inform you of. Yes there are risks with any operation, but to put it in context, getting in a car as a driver or passenger is probably a more risky activity than an operation such as this.

One thing that has caught me out is the recovery time. I was thinking two weeks off work was ample for recovery. Wrong, im currently not been back in to work for 4 weeks. However this is mainly due to me having a long cummute on the train into London which seems rather daunting. My main worry was if i had gone back after two weeks as I intended, I would end up punching someone if I got the mildest of pushes due to everything still being sensertive....

Like i said though mine was big, and im oldish, and had a difficult commute so factor that in with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi KJraduk,

• Posted

Difficult to say really as I never had my tests done. In theory your sperm count could be lower due to your balls not being at their optimal temperature, if the hydrocele is big. However this in itself probably Isn't enought but if you have other issues it could make the difference.

In my case I put off having getting the surgery done as I didn't want anyone messing down there until I had my kids. This wasn't a scientific decision more of a non decision. I now have 2 kids and would have had a few more of things had worked out. So in my case leaving the hydrocele didn't impact my abillity at all.

What I Sid have was a massive one due to leaving it so long. This has made the recovery worse than it would have been. Nothing horrible, just painful and debilitating

• Posted

Thank you Kraduk,

Unexplained infertility at the moment. I am trying to connect it to hydro Also, want to ensure that op doesn't mess up witth things down there.

Hope your recovery goes ok

Cheers,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.