Age Ranges??

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi I would be really interested to find out what the age ranges are on here for you with peri/menopausal symptoms? I am just turned 40years old and would like to see if there are women my age? Thanks

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are at the right age to start Peri menopause I am 46 and in post menopausal so I am 6 years older than you but 40 is about right and after 40 too. 
    • Posted

It will get better in time so just do things that relax you like yoga exercise, hang in there it won't last long 
  • Posted

Not sure exactly when it started for me-probably mid-40's but my first real sign was night sweats and they started at 47. I am still going through Peri and I'm 56. I would have to say this past year has been the worst as far as symptoms go.

Good luck! This is a great site for info and the ladies are lovely!

Annie xx

• Posted

Looking back now I think things started gradually in my early 40s. I'm 50 now and hoping almost in full menopause. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Becky, I started peri@ 54. I literally had zero symptoms. I had thought I was going to be a lucky person that experienced no menopause. But when it started it was and is rough. Hopefully it won't last long for us.
    • Posted

Hi Lenie!

Funny you mentioned that you thought you were lucky. I did too, until last year. As I mentioned above, back when I was 47, I had a few night sweats, even managed to learn how to sleep right through them and some PMS. No biggie, I thought about this Peri business. 

Until eight years later (year ago January). Holy smokes-it's like someone flipped a switch here. Yowza! I still can't believe it and really feel for anyone else that is unfortunate to have a bumpy ride through this. I can only hope that this now rough time is signaling the END, soon. biggrin

• Posted

I like the analogy of flipping the switch. That is a perfect description. I experience at least 30 symptoms weekly. I am also worried about a report I read saying menopause symptoms can last 14 years. Yikes.....
    • Posted

I know-saw the same report. Also I am still having cycles occasionally-so I'm considered Peri at 56. As I sat weeping at the last GYN visit, I asked him when will this end-hahhaha! He said he has patients that continue into their early sixties and that 10 year idea is an estimate. Can go shorter or even longer. WOW! sad

Lenie-hopefully we are nearing the end of this. I keep telling myself since things really went wild that surely it must mean the END is near for this nutness. I want myself back......and I am certain so does my family-soon! 

Sending you big hugs and hoping that things ease up for you quickly.

Annie xxxx

• Posted

I agree 1000 percent. I hope I'm near the end too. Ditto about wanting yourself back. Hugs back at ya! By the way, I am on a menopausal complex and it has helped some.
    • Posted

Lenie,

What is the menopausal complex that you are on? I take various supplements and have enlisted the help of a Naturopath most recently, but I am open to any suggestions that may work.  Right now, for whatever reason, (perhaps wonky hormonal swing) I'm all over the map emotionally. Used to get this way for a day or two prior to cycle, now it's a blip that hits whenever! haaha! (I laugh and cry at same time!) So unpredictable. 

Please let me know what you are using. It may be something I haven't tried that may help.wink

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi Becky,

I feel really stupid to say that I haven't got a clue what the different stages are called! I've just joined these discussions this week as I've been told that when my hormone levels were checked 2 years ago ( 47) already showed I was in menopause. I can't really remember symptoms much before then but I started getting bimonthly periods and then six month and then they stopped. I was given antidepressants as I thought I was, due to family problems and I've now found out that this is an alternative prescription for peri menopause!

I went back this week and saw another GP as my hot flushes have increased, just to check at what stage I was at and he very matter of factly announced that I had been two years ago!

I've done a lot of reading and will take myself back to discuss medication! Xx

• Posted

Glad you're nearly reaching the 'other' side kid:-) .

You're testimony that ADs in Peri: they're just not for me.

Don't you find it amazing how dismissive GPs are about sharing really important Peri-Postmenopausal info with us?! You're not the first I've read on here. Bet it was a male GP: Tossers!

• Posted

I have a family history of early menopause & thought I was loosing my mind. I'm 33 sad
    • Posted

That's exactly how I feel!!!! My mum & grandmum both had hysterectomy's at 40 but now they just say I have to suffer the symptoms sad they want me to have the coil to try & help
    • Posted

I'm taking vit b & that's it I had no idea what was happening DRs still ignoring me & I have every symptom going varying in severity over last 6 months just seemed to start one day out of the blue .. I've not had kids sad so no coil etc for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.