age related diagnosis for PE and DVTs

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi

new to this site

My son nealry died in june and naturally i was a tad upset so i have complained 

sadly the repsones are 'we didnt consider him to be a priority for a dvt/ pe as his age is inconsistant with Data' ( he was 32)

the various health professionals had not followed the NICE guidlines as reading your various posting it would appear many of you have suffered the same  

However, i would be very grateful to be able to get an average of the ages   and for this i would be so grateful for replies and ages /gender

looking forward to hearing from you 

He has recovered significantly since June but requires a life time of therapy  and compression stockings

many thanks  

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have sent an email to an expert in VTE prevention and identification. I'll let you know about reply, have you contacted the Ombudsman.?

I don't know how to PM you.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear about your son.

I had DVT in 2003 that was missed by 4 doctors. I was told it was poor circulation and to go to the gym. I did. I also went on a spa day and had a leg massage...great for breaking up a clot and sending to your lungs! I then had multiple PE by the time I was diagnosed. I was told I was lucky. I was 33 then. I'd be to Oz, long flight, long coach trip there and I'd also just gone back on the pill.

In January 2015, I was diagnosed again with bilateral PE after an operation in Dec on my foot so I was immobile for 8 weeks but at week 5 was diagnosed. I'd been given an extra weeks worth of heparin too to try protect me.

I was 45 at the time of this diagnosis. Had 3.5 months off work. This will be my first week back full time. I'm on warfarin for life now and just waiting for a heart scan.

But I'm still here. I don't like taking tablets but I'll get used to it. I've been lucky...but I'm still here 😀

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I can only imagine the stress you and your son must have gone through.

My husbands death certificate was issued on his 60th birthday and they still didn`t see fit to risk assess him. No safeguards put in place what so ever. We knew nothing about DVT, or the warning signs to look out for. He had them all, pain in his leg that had the full cast on, shortness of breath, my husband was dying in front of my eyes and I didn`t know. All

the information is there in " Avoidable DVT Death of my Husband ".

I have been fighting this for nearly 3 years and refuse to let his death be swept under the carpet.

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I can only imagine the stress you and your son must have gone through.

My husbands death certificate was issued on his 60th birthday and they still didn`t see fit to risk assess him. No safeguards put in place what so ever. We knew nothing about DVT, or the warning signs to look out for. He had them all, pain in his leg that had the full cast on, shortness of breath, my husband was dying in front of my eyes and I didn`t know. All

the information is there in " Avoidable DVT Death of my Husband ".

I have been fighting this for nearly 3 years and refuse to let his death be swept under the carpet.

• Posted

1. Harvard's Wyss Institute Develops Novel Nanotherapeutic that Delivers Clot-Busting Drugs Directly to Obstructed Blood Vessels

• Posted

New to this site aswell. No idea why that went through twice. !
  • Posted

Hi Gillian

So sorry to hear about your son's experience and i sympathise with you and am supporting you in your quest for further information.  A close relation of mine actually died in hospital post-op of PE.  I'd like to know whether she was given compression stockings at all.  It's hard to find out about her case because she died way back in 1982 when I was a teenager. Yours ever, Catherine24302

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.