Aged 46. Is it perimenopause?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Severe pressure headaches,anxiety and depression.Tinnutus,weak legs,balance problems,acid reflux,hyper sensitive,can't get any sleep 😕

2 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 40 years old and just started Peri but I am going through EVERYTHING you just described! I've been to the emergency room twice just last week because of anxiety attacks back to back! They had to put me on hydroxyzine just to stop them but I'm not stressed or anything so I know its just peri
    • Posted

I ended up calling a doctor out in the night as I couldn't breath,loss use of legs,unexplainable panic. I also have racing heart and palpitations. It's awful. I am debating whether to go on HRT.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

​Yep its all to do with being peri.... I have had all that you mentioned.  I have had panic attacks, awful low moods, feelings of doom. bloating.  With panic attacks you just have to remember to try and control your breathing.  Basically with over breathing you flooding your body with too much air so then that makes you feel like you cannot breath as your body is trying to get rid of it.  I heard a good technique to hold your breath and count to 6 and then release it gradually slows you down and the paniky feeling should ease.  I am 51 and was told last year im peri.  I take magnesium ok (wellwoman), vit B & Agnus Castus and try to eat a fairly healthy balanced diet and incorporate some plant based photyestrogen foods and exercise (yoga) is good.  I have had all that you have, called an ambulance in the middle of the night thinking i was dying, felt like i couldnt breath.  Felt a complete tit afterwards mind! as it was all in my head or hormones!!!! It is all part of it unfortuantely, it does affect us in different ways, but we do all seem to get the same anxiety/depression/panic attack symptoms.  I think we just all have to find a way of dealing with it and something that suits us be it HRT or whatever.  Im trying to do the natural way and have ups and downs every day. xxx

• Posted

Thankyou for your in depth answer. You never realise there are so many people suffering the same odd symptoms as you are.
    • Posted

Wow where do you live? Calling my doc is unheard of. I don't even have their home number.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

HRT has stopped my panic attack and palpitations, I think one causes the other then it leaves you feeling weak and breathless.

I didn't take HRT for that reason but a lovely surprise in the first weeks of feeling 'odd and floopy' I thought oh no another weird symptom when it first happened then realised I was so used to feeling on edge all the time that feeling normal again felt a little odd.

• Posted

I think I will try it. Got an appointment with doctor next week. Do you know how long these awful mixture of symptoms take to wear off. I'm 46 and been perimenopause for quite a few years but the last 3 months has been something else.
    • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had a big improvement in depression and anxiety within 2 weeks.

Then at 6 to 8 weeks almost gave up because I had a return of some symptoms nausea bad taste and felt yuk then for a week or so the things became transient like they started in early peri. By week ten I felt good again and the taste went away, I had had it to varying degrees for so long I didn't think that would ever go.

So now I do have better days but a bad day now would have been a good day 5 months ago.

• Posted

I too suffer from all the above, aside from depression, I do have low mood at certain times during my cycle though. The tinnitus, balance and dizziness problem is by far my worst symptom, frightens me half to death. Try a good quality women's vitamin and plenty of water. I take omeprazole for the reflux which again is worse around my period. As for sleep, I could kill for a decent nights sleep. So you're not alone. I'm not a doctor (but for what it's worth you'll get better advice and more support on here than in any doctors surgery) but it does sound like peri symptoms. Hope you are feeling better soon x
    • Posted

It's so good to hear that others are going through the same. The doctors are no help. I can't believe your hormones can do all this !
    • Posted

Hi Donna

Thankyou for your reply. It's so nice and reassuring reading other peoples post on here 😊

• Posted

Sounds like peri to me. I'm 39 I've had or have all those symptoms except for the depression. I get the feelings of doom though. All seems to get worse around the time of my cycle.
    • Posted

Hormones are a big part of our body function . I have the racing heart also. It scares me to no end. I get the shaky weak legs, anxiety, indegestion, gas, feeling like I can't breathe, night sweats, inside body tremors and buzzing, dry itchy crawly skin, and much more. So you are definitely not alone.
    • Posted

It's awful isn't it. I am debating whether to go on HRT. I want to be like my old self before my kids leave home to spend time with them. They must think I'm a misery. The crawling feeling is strange, there are so many symptoms isn't there? I realise now I must have been going through this for a few years.
    • Posted

Yup. I have too. If you need HRT then try it. I know what you mean about spending time with your kids. It's hard but I try to push through when it comes to them. They always asking am I ok and I feel bad at times. So definitely try all you can to help yourself for your kids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.