agony at 5 weeks tkr

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi just me again! Have no one else to turn to! I'm now 5 weeks and feel like I've gone backwards! I've stepped up my exercises and am walking in my flat with one stick. But I'm in so much pain I just feel like I'm not coping. I really thought it would get a little easier. The muscles in my leg are extremely weak so a lot of work needed there. But the pain in the middle of my knee is extreme. And it's like it whatever I'm doing .sitting/ standing etc etc. It's so bad I'm not wanting to do anything. Also down the inside of my knee. I'm so frightened that it's not going to be okay. That I'm becoming very depressed. My gp seems to think that I should only need pain control when I go to physio. And anything else I take my tummy doesn't tolerate. I'm due for my 2nd visit to physio tomorrow .anyone else had this happen and got through it? X

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Strange Im also five weeks and althoigh yesterday I was doing well I thought today I can hardly bend the knee and hsve no energy even to try. I,m not getting the pain in the knee though although I do get terrible pain in the thigh. Be tougher with your doctor. He isnt the one in pain . Have you tried taking omeprazol to protect the stomach from the effects of the pain killers? I had to fight for painkillers, and in general it's made such a difference to my ability to exercise etc. so sorry you are feeling so down..
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I do take ometprazole as well. And I must confess I have other health issues which probably doesn't help my tolerance of pain meds. But I am going to see my doctor again .I to feel very tired . I know there is no short cut to recovery. Just really hope something changes soon . All the best to you in your recovery. I live alone but I don't feel so alone with people like yourself on here. X
    • Posted

I really admire people who get through this living alone. Im not surprised you feel down in the dumps . For the first three weeks i think I spent more time blubbering than anything else. Fingers crossed that you soon get some relief and can get some form of pain control you can tolerate. Permanent pain just wears you down. Show your dr your true feelings... No stiff upper lip. He has NO idea what we are going through
    • Posted

I feel for you, I am alone too, but have got to week 20!  Keep going.  Its very difficult bt can be overcome.
    • Posted

Hii Jayne . Hope things have improved ifor you n the last couple of days?  Sometimes we get a really bad day, but it shouldn't really be EVERY day.  Today I've worked really hard, and am feeling it this evening, but   my leg is getting more and more bent and I really need to work on straightening it. i think I;ve been concentrating too much on the bend, and forgetting the extension!  Any advance on a decent pain killer you can tolerate?  without it, I don't see how you can cope with the exercises . . .righter!Do hope you are feeling b
    • Posted

Hi. Thank you for thinking of me. Especially when you have your own stuff to deal with. I must admit I was in the depths of despair! And that didn't improve at all until yesterday when I saw my physio at long last and let it all out and cried my eyes out! She was great. Told me that my healing is going to take a while as the knee was not in the best state due to previous surgery on it. Also the pain in my kneecap. Is because I should not be attempting to use my exercise bike at this stage and have over worked my knee! I told her my medical centre that my employers use. Rang me for an update on my recovery and told me I should be cycling as much as possible at 4 weeks!! So of course I thought I was doing the right thing! my physio reassured me that yes it will take a while and building my weak muscles will be hard work but I will be okay and will get there. I was so relieved I can't describe it! I am having a review of all my med to try and find the right way forward with that. Aches like he'll today but much much better thank goodness. Oh and I also discovered I was doing my exercises slightly wrong and therefore putting strain on my back. Hence that and my hip hurt as well! Seeing physio again next week. So I hope I am getting on the right track at least. As I honestly couldn't cope with that severe all consuming agony. Please keep me updated on your progress. It's great to know people like you out there . Thanks for caring x
    • Posted

You have had bad advice. Cycleing is out until at leat 8 weeks then only rotate as far as it will let you. Go online and get Physio Tool exercises for TKR and follow them gently a few times a day and your knee will improve
    • Posted

Thank heavens you are getting some proper advice now!  I can sympathise with the hip and back pain . .I'm getting that and know it's because at times to avoid bending the knee I'm putting too much strain on those areas. . it's so difficult isn't it!  I'm feeling guilty sitting here on the computer because i should really be doing more exercises . . it's a full time job! I'm still stuck at 90 . . just noticed in my previous post that the cursor jumped and put part of what I wrote in the wrong place. This computer is always doing that, and I don't always notice!  Right, back to the exercises!
    • Posted

Thank you. I've been very daft and naive! And listened to people who have never had a TKR. And thinking the more I do the better it will be! Stupid or what!! This op just doesn't work like that. I got myself confused regarding the severe pain as maybe not doing enough rather than to much. Now just doing the exercises my physio gave me and taking it a bit more gently. I let myself get so far down that I'd talked myself into the fact that this op wasn't going to be successful and I was going to be in never ending pain! No a good place to be in !! All good wishes to you.
    • Posted

While you are on the computer pull your lrg back or assist it with the good leg. Then go back to the PC Let it rest there and every time you siit down pull it back
  • Posted

So sorry that you're struggling like this, it must be really tough for you. I'm still waiting for mine, so couldn't say if it's usual, but if you don't mind me saying, your GP sounds like an idiot! Can you see another GP within your practice? I know the ones in the practice I use all have different approaches and views...

Hope you get on ok at your Physio, maybe they'll be able to suggest something?

Chin up and take care xx

• Posted

Reading these problems makes it quite important to keep a diary of the journey so that when we have set backs we can look at the day's all went well? I must admit I think Martina is very brave to go through the op on her own let's hope the next few days get better x
    • Posted

I think that's a really good idea. I've had to keep a Depression diary before, and it really helped on the darkest days to be able to look back and read some positives from brighter days. I'm also toying with the idea of an online Blog, just sharing thoughts, emotions, pain levels etc, if it only helped one person, it would be worth it. I can't imagine going through this on my own..... x
    • Posted

Hi Terri I agree with you anyone going through this on there own is very brave. I have watched video and spoken to others who have gone through this op and am well aware of what is to come? But only hope is that the every day pain and restrictions I have now will in next two to three months go? X

• Posted

Thats what we have to keep in mind... The eventual end of all the pain of having a useless knee! I went into this with no prior knowledge and thats a mistake! Much better to be well informed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.