agoraphobia, please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, so to keep it short, Ive suffered from anxiety, panic attacks and depression for over a year now, which has basically left me housebound. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to start getting out into the world again and getting over this horrible phobia. It's so frustrating, I just want my life back! Any help will be appreciated! 

Thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dont except that as an anxiety rule. Do not allow that.it happens with panic disorder ..its is part of it at times but you serously can not allow it.it is a self destructive anxiety rule big time and you can absolutely conquer this..but your body cant feel two emotions simutanously so get angry at this rule and use headohines to keep your brain busy.You have to reject that rule and walk outside and lay down if needed if you have a yard. Or out a chair in the front and use the chair.. Stay by your house if needed at first but walk out and sit or lay on the grass. You can put in headphones and play music or a anxiety book or anything, but do not except that as okay. You might need meds at first to help you turn off your adrenaline but its imoortant to fight it. Id say lay on the grass in your yard if you have one. Stay there for ten minutes. Do this every three hours for the first three days. Then go out and sit on the grass. Do this every three hours for three days. Then go outside and walk about in your yard ten minutes every three hours. Then you should feel a bit better with being outdoors and walk around your home outside walk around like a circle and do this for ten minutes or three or four songs on your ipad. Then after a couple of days you will walk two houses down and back and go back and fourth for ten minutes. Every three days advance by a house and back until you walk five minutes away and five minutes back.allow any adrenaline rush to occur..you are safe and right by your hiuse..just let the adrenaline rush through and say i am free and i know this is an adrenaline rush but i want to be outside and breathe the fresh air and be with nature. Its exposure therapy short and sweet but very safe.its fine in the rain or cold dress appropriately. But do it in the steps i noted.you can do this. You will do this. You deserve to be free and go iutdoors. Believe with every cell in yiur bidy you can beat this because you are worth it.its a horrid anxiety rule, a horrid mind trick of fight or flight. Start by laying in the grass in your yard. It will feel a lot safer and yiu will be comoletely safe whilst laying down for the ten minutes. But use headphones so you do side track your brain. There is nothing wrong with taking meds to help you through this it is well worth the re training of your anxiety rules. Be very hinest with any therapist you speak with. Dont even worry or think about anything in terms of going to the store, you want to get outside first. One baby step at a time. One out of seven people have an some form of anxiety disorder, you are not alone. Agoraphobia rides the back of panic disorder. Many people fight this with all the stregnth they have and its why so many do take medicine, and thats okay. Good luck im rooting for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your motivational words, I will try all of the tips you have mentioned, as i know if i have my favourite music on it definitely helps me feel a bit better. You're right it is a horrible trick of the mind sad Thank you, it's nice to know that you believe I can do this. 
  • Posted

Have you tried volunteering at all? It's good to surround yourself with people that want to help people, whether they are helping you or others. I am struggling with this really bad right now too, tired of feeling mad at myself for not doing anything because I am too scared of it all. I haven't started the volunteering yet but I am looking into different programs I can try, one little step at a time. My biggest obstacle is getting over what everyone else thinks of me. 
    • Posted

I have volunteered in the past and I'd like to do it again but i'm afraid that if I committed to something then I cant leave the house i'd be letting people down sad It is so frustrating, we will get through this eventually! But it's a good idea, I suppose if we both helped others then it would take our minds off our own problems. I am the same, constantly worrying too much of what other people think of me, when in reality they probably don't really care at all, definitely a new years resolution to stop worrying what others think of me! 
  • Posted

Hello everyone, since 2 weeks have passed I thought I'd update you on my progress so far... 

So the other week I met up with some of my mum's friends for a coffee, I managed to stay there for 3 hours talking! (obviously I was too distracted to think anxious thoughts), granted I was with my mum, I am still so proud of myself for being able to sit there for hours and not feel like running out of the nearest exit. I did have slight panicky feelings towards the end but instead of running I sat and told myself that I wouldn't feel any different outdoors, and it worked! I was a bit reluctant to go out for a few days after those feelings I had towards the end, but when I did decide to go back out again, on my own, I did a 2 minute walk around my neighbourhood, then a 3 minute walk and tonight I beat those times and managed to walk my dogs for 10 minutes around my neighbourhood! smile

I know I'm not as close to getting out on my own as I'd like to by a long shot, but all of your kind and motivational words has spurred me on to get out there, because I really don't want to waste another day feeling like this. So thank you all so much for your support. I hope we can all beat this together! 

• Posted

Well done! You have made fantastic progress and should feel incredibly proud of yourself smile

As a fellow sufferer I feel your pain, you did the right thing by staying and accepting your panicky feelings, this will free you in the end and you did incredibly well to go out alone and progress even more.

I have been practising the stay and accept technique and it was going okay, have had a relapse for a couple of days but when I feel ready I will try again and that is the most important part, try and keep trying, don't 'test' yourself but never give up either, you can do this.

Good luck on your journey, you are stronger than you know x

• Posted

Thank you smile I'm trying to keep the positive feelings I get in mind to remind myself how good it feels once I've achieved even just a small goal. 

I'm glad to hear you have made progress too, and you're right, we're gunna have bad days and we didn't get this overnight so it's not going to go away overnight but if we both keep trying i'm more optimistic that we'll get there. 

I have faith in you too, so don't give up either! 

Good luck and best wishes to fighting this monster! x

• Posted

That's the way to do it smile It's so easy to let the negative thoughts take over but the positive ones are the ones that are important to hang on to.

Right now I am in a relapse but even with that I try to block out the negative by overriding it with a positive so today I had to hang on to my husband's arm constantly but I still went, I felt anxious but I still did it and as long as we keep doing it eventually we will be free, going through the fear is the only way out of it.

We will get there, we are strong and determined and the end result is so worth it x

• Posted

Exactly, it's having the will power to keep thinking the positive thoughts that can make all the difference! 

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a bit of a relapse, but you will get out of it. Well done for still going out and hanging on to your husband smile Sometimes the hardest part is just getting out of the door! 

So true, and we will be stronger people for it in the end smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.