Alcohol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need some help my boyfriend was so for 5 years the 2 year ago he thought he could drink again and did really well for 6 mos the only reason he stop was er visit with gastrointestinal stuff he then went to dr a was given Librium again he was really good for 5 mos the he thought he could do again and he was good for about 6 mos now he is drinking 10-12 beers everyday not eating well and come home to fall or pass out he has been wetting the bed, not remembering stuff trying to start arguments but he not allow to drink at home sometime when we are away and has been drinking a lot he needs to have a few in am he say "it is the nature of the beast". Before the 5 years sober he was drinking for 20+ years. I'm not sure what to do now I don't think he will live a other year drinking. Any suggestions 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

DISADVANTAGES OF ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION: 1. Loss of self-control: Alcohol drinking loses self-control on the body and there by leads to accidents.

2. Damage to liver: Heavy consumption can damage the body organs and systems. Especially liver, stomach, brain are affected. 

3. Nerve damage: It causes slow and progressive degeneration of nervous system. Alcohol in chemical terms is highly lipophylic i.e. it can penetrate well into fatty tissues like brain. At high concentrations, it can itself damage the neurons.

4. Leads to obesity. It can put on excess weight. This is due to low consumption of carbohydrates taken in the form of food. Alcohol by itself can from energy molecule ATP and provide calories to body. So other calorie generating food especially carbohydrates and fats are not used up. This leads to accumulation and weight gain.

5. Addictive: It is an addictive and people are prone to it. Leading to disturbance in normal life style.

• Posted

A bit too technical for me first thing.

Some of your comments are very true, like alcohol being addictive. Liver and nerve damage.

The majority of severe AUD sufferers I've know have been under nourished  (drinkers tend not to eat properly) and are lacking in vitamins.

I am not saying they're not obese, just personally seem to be almost skeletal, with large stomachs due probably to ascites.

• Posted

The reason most severe AUD sufferers are skeletal, is because (unless they are young and drinking has not yet been long term) there is often liver damage. The liver provides are energy and it also stores it. When it is damaged it cannot provide the same energy from food and also it cannot store it for long - hence those people are told to eat little and often. When the body goes to the liver and asks for more energy, the liver doesn't have it, so it goes to the next easiest thing, muscle energy and starts cannibalising the body. Hence that thin drawn look, often with pallor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.