Alcohol Addiction + scared of what i've become

Posted , 16 users are following.

sad it's been confirmed today i am an alcoholic.33 years old and told i can never drink again,i feel like i'm grieving for my best and only true friend.But i hate myself for letting it get to this,i grew up with an alcoholic parent,and hated them for what they did then and are still doing now.SO WHY the hell have i done the same thing?i'm confused and scared,do i ignore everyone and carry on the way i have been,drinking 2/3 bottles of wine a night,hideing everything from my husband,kids and job.Or do i stop.i can't breath and i feel so alone.H E L P

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hello i to was raised by 2 alcoholic parents and drank most of my life .

you are still very young try and get better so you have the strenth to grow and get better i am 52 i was given my first drink by my mum a 2 to make me sleep so thats what i still use it for x

• Posted

Hello Friend,

First off, don't beat yourself up over this situation. If you've had parents that drank or were addicts as you grew up, understand that as a child you are very receptive to your environment. Also, if you're parents were addicts in some fashion, chances are that you may have the same genetic factors that contribute to addiction. All in all, you can and will overcome it. Just give yourself love and patience. Do not for one second think you are any less than any other being on this planet.

I myself have grown up in conditions that have most certainly contributed to my current state of addiction. I find myself drinking more alcohol than I like and suffer the consequences (anxiety, depression). At the same time, I'm very good at hiding it from the outside world.

The fact of the matter is, that if you've grown up in an environment that has contributed to your current state of mind, accept it, and see it as a growing experience. As a child, one is so receptive and loving that experiences are taken in. The sponge analogy is so true. It's easier said than done to undue what has been done. But you can use this as a means to change your future.

Understand that you are a human, being in this moment. A human being. You are just being who and what you are. Human. Prone to the lessons learned in life that help you grow each and everyday. You have had things happen in your life. They can't be undone, but they can be accepted, understood, and left in the past. They help you grow. You run down a hill at top speed in flip-flops and fall, and learn to take the experience differently the next time around. Better shoes would suffice in such an endeavor.

Addiction has an interesting connotation. Truth is, is that people experience addictions daily and don't even know it. Just because it's a more acceptable one, doesn't mean it's entirely healthy.

To face such a thing is hard no doubt. I cringe at those who try and lend a hand in the profession of healing and have no first hand experience. It's dark. It's scary. At times, it's lonesome. Just remember that you are a strong and capable person. Resources are available to help you overcome and triumph the shadows in your world.

You are not alone. But I understand that in times lonesomeness can seem so prevalent. Learn to love yourself and pay no mind to what others may think. There are those who judge and push aside, and there are those who are waiting to take your outreached hand and be your friend; to show you guidance; to listen and understand.

Best Wishes,

A Friend

• Posted

Hello Mela..

Its good that you wish to recover from it...

even though you have been addicted for these long days it is not hard to get recovered..

First have Hope that you can control it....try to divert your mind in some other activities.. go for gym, start readings some books, always engage yourself with your friends circle...go out for shopping.

when u feel like you want to drink, move away from that place do the above things what I mentioned.

Happy recovery!!!!

[quote:fb6472a37a=\"mela \"]sad it's been confirmed today i am an alcoholic.33 years old and told i can never drink again,i feel like i'm grieving for my best and only true friend.But i hate myself for letting it get to this,i grew up with an alcoholic parent,and hated them for what they did then and are still doing now.SO WHY the hell have i done the same thing?i'm confused and scared,do i ignore everyone and carry on the way i have been,drinking 2/3 bottles of wine a night,hideing everything from my husband,kids and job.Or do i stop.i can't breath and i feel so alone.H E L P[/quote:fb6472a37a]

• Posted

I too am fighting personal demons...type in how to detox at home-there is a way. don't give up! fall down 6 times? get up 7. there is even a schedule on line what to do ,eat & how often....even how to taper off drinking useing beer, withdrawal length times etc.hope this helps.
  • Posted

cheesygrin i to was a confirmed alcoholic i have been dry now for a year i came very close to death but take heart

help is out there if you fall you are not weak be strong and get up again i was very lucky to have support

from my partner she was my rock get out there kid and find a rock i wish you much luck

• Posted

Thank you for responding.I feel overwhelmed. I am going to meetings, but with no set schedule it is hard to get a home group or sponsor. I want to go to detox, but how does that work with no insurance and no time off work? Any insight or suggestion is welcome. Best to you !
  • Posted

i take it by your comments you are not in the UK i connot give you any suggestions i wish you all the luck

the only thing i can say is keep on fighting you sound very strong if you want to respond to this i will give you my contact info for facebook good luck

• Posted

I hope you are doing ok I know it's not easy, I'm here to listen if you want. I find if someone will listen without judging and cares being patient and calm it can help.
  • Posted

thank you it is nice to have people who understands, i am a very lucky man my partner and friends have so good , but still get good and bad days i dont judge anyone as it is a illnes i hope you are doing well and looking after your self dont forget i am here for you as much as you for me take care, hope to speak again
  • Posted

In the addiction recovery community there is a saying, "you chose to take a drink, but you did not choose to become addicted to drinking." The message is that you did not choose to become an alcoholic and you should not beat yourself up about it. Trying to allocate blame can be exhausting and it does not help anyone. Instead, focus on what you can do. Look at treatment options, try an AA meeting, speak to a counsellor, ask your GP for recommendations. A problem always looks biggest before you start to solve it. Once you get stuck in it feels more manageable. Also, speak to your family. It is important to share and if you try to recover without them it will be harder. Plus simply telling someone can feel like the weight has been lifted. Good luck and remember, your family and friends will support you, if you let them.
  • Posted

I was told at the age of 24 was an alcoholic but thought I knew best, now after losing my

husband, job, and self respect I have stopped drinking now for 18mths but only as a result of being in hospital for 3 months. I am now 39 and fortunately have family and a few friends for support but alchol had left me with walking problems and constant regrets.

I always tried to kid myself I could cut down but it took me to be a deaths door to reslise stopping completely is the only way.

I urge you to speak openly to your doctor or anyone close to you because you might think your hiding your problem but they'll already know. Its hard ive only done 18mth and it by no means easy and know it won't ever be but just stop whilst you have the chance to. Helen.

• Posted

such wise words helen, i to was at deaths door ,i was told i had 80hours of life left (or rather my partner was told that) i to have walking problems As you say stick at it people it WILLbe worth it in the end it is good to

hear you have like me stopped completely well done , as they say , dont be ashamed of what you have done

be PROUD OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING,wishing you good luck

• Posted

Hi, I hope you are well.  I would just like to say that I think it is really encouraging to me for all the positive help and support you give to me and others on the forum.  I do hope that you have someone you can talk to if your ever having a wobble, I am here for you to chat to as you are to many, take care and thanks again. Helen
    • Posted

thank you helen for your kind words  when i joined the forum i did not expect to get much out of it, but it is determind people like you who make it all so worthwhile,you seem to be doing so well I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU,if my words help only one person it will be worth it, as they say, been there, done that, and got the t shirt, i am so glad you got in touch with me, i hope that someday we may be able to speak person to person, and exchange our tales of woe, Keep it up and remember you have a friend out here x

• Posted

Any cosolation I am 61 been dringing since I was a child,great when I am high.....but it takes me three days to recover.Been married twice,lost my driving licence-wifes who I love.On the booze now!.Alcohol is great but my Nemisis, I love drinking but it's killing me.I get depressed when on a whithdrawel.I have f***ed my life up and the women I love gonna rip open another can or pour a whisky.Life is futile _____ i am now crying excuse me,I have nothing but booze !!!!!!!!

Patient Moderator Comment: Please use the Private Messaging system to pass on / exchange personal information. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.