Alcohol and enlarged liver

Posted , 8 users are following.

a relative is in hospital with enlarged liver has been in hospital for 5 days and is still confused  due to  alcohol withdrawal and is on diazapan  how long does the confusion last

thanks all

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Tony. This is hard to know since we need more information as other have listed below but I would love to help! Robin
  • Posted

I just got out of the hospital after a 9 day stay.

My confusion went away after day 5 exactly.  Everyone is different thou.  But it should be soon.

They will be giving him intraveneous fluids...and his liver will be very happy.  It has been a little over 2 weeks for me and I feel better..my digestive tract and everything is working out.

The liver recovers quickly (I was told by my Dr.).  It is the brain that does not.

I am having severe headaches...

I'm sorry for your friend..withdrawal is H*LL on earth.  But your relative is on the way to repair of body, mind and spirit if he/she can remain off of alcohol.

• Posted

For the brain, should be taking thiamine and lactulose and for the liver vitamin B compund/complex.
    • Posted

They told me that the liver can heal over time is this true? She has been sober also once or if the liver heals will she have to continue taking that lactalose
    • Posted

The liver can heal generally, it is a very hardy organ, obviously you can push it too far, but most people can go on to live a fairly normal life if they do the following.

Give up alcohol full stop. It may sound harsh, but when your liver has got to that state, there is no drinking in moderation, that bus left some time ago.

Take the medication given religiously, without fail. Eat well, fruit, vegetables, etc. avoid food out of a box that goes in the microwave or oven. Keep hydrated and exercise.

Find something to replace the alcohol, i.e. how to fill your day, that doesn't involve drinking.

Do that and you're in with a good chance, start failing on them, start thinking about palliative care.

• Posted

Yes, so I take the thiamine and vitamin B complex.  But I think my body has caught up on the vitamin B...because I am now peeing flouresant yellow and the pharmacist told me that means my body is secreting the vitamin because I no longer need it (my diet has changed for the better,

I'm not drinking and I am maybe getting the B I need from the foods I eat)

I just read about the lactulose and people who have liver damage take it up to 3 to 4 times a day.  It can aide with constipation as well I read because it pulls water and ammonia from the body and sends it to the colon which relieves constipation as well.

I also read that it can cause a negative side effect if you drink alcohol while on this medication.

I was always told the liver healed itself...but apparently when you get to a certain point of damage it does not.

I'm sorry you have this damage.

• Posted

Hi Misssy. Learn something new every day on this site re bright yellow pee when body recovered..lol !!! Thanks for info about lactulose too. Don't know about bubbles in pee on other post tho. Have a good day smile
    • Posted

Yes, it heals itself, and I'm quite resillient, so there may come a time when I don't need it, but it is quite easy to take and my body has adjusted to the effects - i.e. I don't always need to be within 100 yards of a toilet.

Ignore my other message about Lactulose, I hadn't seen that you'd already read up on it. Yes, once you stop drinking, start taking fluids and eat a reasonably healthy diet, your body should produce enough natural vitamins for your system. When people drink heavily, they don't tend to eat properly, if at all (I have a mate who recently went a whole week without eating, just surviving on alcohol) or take fluids, so their body gets a double whammy.

Hence the reason hospitals rehydraate you and pump you full of vitamins. One thing they don't tell you, is that most alcohol is laden with sugar and ex-heavy drinkers/alcoholics will quite often turn to sweets and chocolate, in the belief that if they're eating that and staying off the booze, that's good.

Execpt it can push you into diabetes II territory, so watch sugar intake.

• Posted

Im the opposite,drinking makes me hungry and I eat my way through a bottle of wine hence why I've put on 4 stone in the last 10 years
    • Posted

Well, they say true alcoholics are skinny/slim, because they get all their calories from alcohol. Heavy drinkers are fat, because they drink and eat (nothing like a kebab after a session down the pub - Hep peeps, dirty doner kebab please, extra chilli sauce with it).

I had a colleague that my wife worked with (same company, different departments). His motto was, 'no solids after lunch, liquids only'.

We would often do shows, or racing events, like GPs etc. and we would always be staying over, it was a large international company and expenses were never questioned.

Everybody used to get back to the hotel, have a quick couple of pints, go shower and change. Down to the bar for a pint whilst waiting for the taxis to go to an Indian. Could we ever get him to come, no, my wife begged him a couple of times to come and have something to eat, but he wouldn't he just sat at the bar drinking double whiskies.

He died when he was about 44, his family never released the records for the reason of his death (coroners verdict) but it didn't take a genius to work it out.

• Posted

Oh dear, I'm the true alcoholic then!!! I've put on half a stone in just over a week whilst drinking mindfully with naltrexone. Needed to though. Yes it makes sense x
    • Posted

Sorry for late reply Nicole but I was intrigued by your weight gain since many loose weight if they are heavy drinkers. Are you still a drinker may i ask? or did you already describe yourself in a previous reply?? Robin
    • Posted

I'm still drinking but not 3 bottles a day like before.I drink between 1 and 2 bottles a day but have just started on naltrexone and the last 2 days I just had 2 large glasses.

I put in so much weight because as well as the 600 calories in each bottle of wine I was eating my way through the bottle as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.