Alcohol and enlarged liver

Posted , 8 users are following.

a relative is in hospital with enlarged liver has been in hospital for 5 days and is still confused  due to  alcohol withdrawal and is on diazapan  how long does the confusion last

thanks all

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks RHGB for reminding me to take lactulose as I keep forgetting. I was told it was for constipation when I was on codeine. Didn't realise it was for the brain re to prevent alcohol dementia. I always take strong vit B and thiamine so ok there. Glad to have you on here posting this advice.

And Tony and Monique, your relative is very lucky to have you help her get well again. I hope and pray they come through this and lead a healthy life again xx

• Posted

Yes, it does act as a laxactive, but that is part of the process, to make sure toxins are pushed out the system regularly. Some people get prescribed it as just a laxative, but not many. If you pull the prescription label off the bottle, underneath on the bottle label, it mentions alcoholic brain disease.

When you first take it, the laxative effect is a bit more than you want. But over time, your body learns to cope with it.

• Posted

Brilliant. Sad how the Drs who prescribe them don't give you the correct information. Put it buy the sink so I don't forget anymore. What are you taking now and have you started the campral yet? So many different posts on here I forget..
    • Posted

I take lactulose, which stops you going loopy.

I take carvedilol - for congestive heart failure.

I take amlolipine - for blood pressure.

I take - spironolactone - for ascites

I take - Omeprazole - for internal bleeding of the veins in my esophagus - look up esophegeal varices - requires endoscopy.

I take thimaine - for short term memory

I take vitamin B compound strong - to help my liver recuperate.

I take folic acid - to combat alcohol damage and to stop anemia.

I know I sound like a walking pharmacy, but to look at me, you wouldn't think there is anything wrong, even though I've had a stroke as well. I don't look haggard and drawn, probably because when I was drinking, I was still eating properly and taking fluids. I am quite lucid and cognitive, and on the exterior, don't suffer any after effects.

The doctor/practice nurse tried to get me on statins and asprin last year and I said no thanks.

I have my appointment with the prescribing doctor at Addaction at 10:30 and then an 11:00 meeting with my case worker.

It will all go fine, or it will be an incredibly short meeting, if I hear reasons why they are not yet ready to prescribe.

The only thing now, is that I cannot find a chemist that stocks Campral, so unless Addaction keep their own suppy (this branch is located in a hospital), it looks like I might get a prescription tomorrow, with no where to get it from and have to wait for it to be ordered in.

• Posted

She is on about the same thing you are except for this one prescription that her insurance will not cover reflaximine it's like a 850 milligram pill but they will not cover it for nothing in the world and it feels like over $1,000 I think it's how you spell it but the insurance will not cover it
    • Posted

Blimey!!! Thanks for that. Didn't know folic acid helped with alcohol damage. Will have to look up whether it's included in the multi vit I take everyday.

Re campral, my friend has just left hospital after a few weeks due to alcohol and blood poisoning. She has been give loads of drugs and doesn't know which is for what. I told her what they were all for and she's been given campral. Wow, told her how lucky she is. This was prescribed by the hospital. She says it's helping her ..

• Posted

The GP should keep her on a repeat prescription. I did with any meds I came home with from hospital. I get my local Boots to get the prescription each month from my GP and they bag it up and send me a text when it is ready.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.