Alcohol and PMR and preg

Posted , 13 users are following.

**i was recently diagnosed w PMR and am now taking pred. I realize I have to stop drinking, so far 3 days! not easy. alcohol really helps me w stress and pain

Anyone else in same boat?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Not sure why you think that. I really enjoy my glass or 2 of red each evening. Incidentally dry January didn't do a thing for me didn't sleep better, didn't lose weight and skin didn't look any better either!

• Posted

I think you will find most of us drink despite being on pred - it does help, probably because of the relaxant effect and vasodilation. I had 5 years of PMR without pred, not from choice, and a glass of wine in the evening really helped the pain a lot.

It is a different matter if your doctor decides to put you onto methotrexate as a steroid sparer ( no guarantees it will work and comes with its own adverse effects) but you really shouldn't drink when taking that. But a drink with pred isn't the end of the world.

I don't do dry January - but I have had periods of no alcohol with PMR and it made no difference at all. I've also done gluten-free and nightshades-free with no beneficial effect. All the difference it made was a boring diet! The only thing worth avoiding is carbs, especially white and processed ones, even more especially sugar. That does help reduce the risk of pred-associated weight gain and steroid-induced diabetes even if it sounds hard. It isn't really - you get used to it quite quickly.

• Posted

thanks i think the last 3 months I drank to much to deal with pain and stress Glad to hear that a couple of glasses while taking pred no big deal.

• Posted

Hiya I have to admit I drink a wine or beer now and again but not for the discomfort just for a treat , I am fighting this horrible thing with exercise but its a struggle as the tiredness for me is the main obstacle not the pain although my legs give out occasionally, I honestly wouldn't thought a couple of drinks would harm

• Posted

Me too - still enjoy my tipple as and when.....most times alcohol with meds just lessens the effect unless booze is definitely a no go for certain medications but contra-indications with pred doesn't say NO ALCOHOL.......you need some treats in life while getting on with PMR ! Cheers xxx

• Posted

so if you are on methotrexate no alcohol?

• Posted

It depends on your doctor a lot. Many have a very relaxed approach and say a glass or 2 a week is OK. Methotrexate does stress the liver and that is why you need monthly blood tests to be sure it isn't damaging the liver. Alcohol is also processed by the liver - both together may be enough to raise the markers.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen

I havent been drinking for a couple of weeks and must say Im sleeping better.

Just got a terrible pain in my neck which Ive treated with voltarol but no success.

The pysio is going to use heat treatment when I next visit.

• Posted

Is it an ache? Does it go up into the back of your head?

• Posted

Hi Joymarla,

I have one or two rum and ginger beer with lime juice every evening. One of the few pleasures I really look forward to, and haven't noticed any side effects.......yet.

But what about the carbs? Why are they bad? I just started making this no kneed bread, that rises over night, and is baked in a dutch oven. Wow, it is hard not to eat too much of that.

• Posted

Pred changes the way our body processes carbs. It makes the liver release random spikes of glucose into the blood. That increases the average level of BS over time. If it increases too much you may develop steroid-induced diabetes. When the BS level rises - the body makes insulin to bring it back to where it should be but it often overshoots, causing craving for more carbs to bring it back up and that creates a vicious circle. Any excess insulin left over then makes the carbs still around into fat deposits for future use in a starvation situation. So there is the risk of developing diabetes and of gaining weight. The best way to reduce the risk of either is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat - especially simple carbs and sugar or processed carbs.

Some people don't have a problem with weight gain on pred, a very few even lose weight. But most people develop a big appetite and eat for Britain and gain weight. You might be one of the lucky ones - but believe me, prevention is better than cure!!

• Posted

Eileen, thanks for explaining that.

As I am munching on a piece of toast from my new bread recipe, I am considering my lucky self, that I am one of those who has not gained any weight since pred.I wish I were as lucky with some of the other side effects of pred, like skin as soft as butter, where the slightest touch will cause bleeding, either under the skin or out; I go through an amazing quantity of bandages/ plasters.

• Posted

Hi joymaria

Did you mean to write 'pred' or 'preg'.....if 'preg' is that short for pregnant, but if you have PMR i would think you were well past the pregnancy stage...

• Posted

My gosh, thank goodness no one has said I should not drink with pred. In fact that is the first thing I check on the datasheet whenever I am given a new medicine! The odd glass of a nice Burgundy makes life so much better for me!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.