Alcohol at home

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi

i posted earlier about how I dealt with a stressful situation (holiday double booked) without resorting to alcohol.

i am am starting to feel a bit of a fraud after reading your lovely comments. If I am completely honest, I think the reason I didn't drink was due to the fact there was none in the house, apart from two bottles of husbands beer.

we used to have a cupboard full of booze, but after several binges, I asked my husband to keep his malt whiskeys elsewhere. The rest I gave to one son to keep at his house.

how do you all cope? A lot seem to have alcohol at home and just drink at night. I don't want it in the house as its a permanent thought that if a crisis happens, then I can have a few drinks. 

So I've gone from feeling proud of myself to guilty. We have drink at weekends, but I like it gone by Monday. My husband can't understand, and really neither can i, why I can have wine in the fridge for a couple of weeks without even thinking about it, to searching the house and garage in the hope of finding anything to drink. I've even drunk mouthwash as I've been so desparate. I swore I would never tell anyone that and feel mortified about it. Why sometimes and not all the time.

My husband actually said a couple of weeks ago, that he'd find it much easier if I drank daily as he'd know what to expect. I'd cook dinner with a few glasses of wine, and finish the rest with my meal.

Rather than weeks/months of social drinking and can take it or leave it.

So do you all keep alcohol at home, or go out and buy it? Sorry for this odd post, but I do feel guilty that I only dealt with the situation today as there was no booze to have. It has made me think though, problem sorted without booze.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am worrying about Paper fairy., as well.

She is such a good help to others.

How can we help her, now?

• Posted

She has my mobile number as she lives very near me. She's rung before and I've pmd her to phone or text me. Unfortunately I don't have her number. I can't ask Joanna or Paul for obvious reasons. We can only wait for her to post back. Thank you for your nice post about alcohol at home
    • Posted

Thanks, Vickylou.  I am rubbish, just now... but I get such strength from you and the others on this Forum.  It makes me keep trying.  I would have given up by now.  I don't have great "staying power" !

All power to you... zap it !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Alona,

It's great that you keep trying, I found that it was much harder to stop than to stay stopped....... if you're into controlled drinking, then your program would seem to be the answer for starters.

Well done for keeping, keeping, going on. You'll get there.

Best wishes. May the force be with you!

• Posted

Oh thanks Colin.  I do want to get there.  I just seem to be "taking the tourist's route".  I hope the force with me, helps my direction!

Alona 🌎

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.