alcohol dependent

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am giving up the drink 2 nite. wish me luck!

5 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

U r headed in the right direction . PLZ seek pro counseling in order to be successful the biggest mistake most make is that they can quit by themselves.AA is an excellent support system.

cheers

HOPE

• Posted

Good luck with that, Wendy! Hope it will continue. Drinking alcohol will only damage your body.
    • Posted

It will also damage UR brain.. See CAT scans of alcoholic brain/ normal brain GOOGLE

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

Hi WENDY,

​How you view your own cravings will determine how much power they have over you. If you believe that a craving won’t naturally go away once it has started, or if you think that the only way to deal with a craving is to drink, then of course you will be fairly powerless over them. This is the cognitive component of your addiction.

PLZ contact PAUL on this string..

• Posted

Hi Wendy & welcome.  I too am relatively new here.  

I hope that typing out your intent to quit drinking somehow helped you commit to that end...  Its a bumpy road - more so for some than for others - but ultimately, it will mean a longer, healthier life and experiencing that life without the haze of alcohol.  

My (limited) advice is to get support/encouragement from those who can provide it.  Make a plan: work in the garden, declutter rooms, and accept that at least initially, you may have to work to go out of your way to avoid temptation.  Also recognise, you aren't 'simply' giving up alcohol, you're giving up a lifestyle, a companion, a relaxant, a crutch etc etc etc.  You must fill up that hole in your life with other things.  Many focus on fitness, meditation, voluntary work and such...  

Don't beat yourself up if to begin with you wanna hide from the world.  Love and strength

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.