Alcohol Detox at home

Posted , 7 users are following.

My son is ready for detox and after finding out the cost, (because his insurance is crap)  I would like to detox him at home.  I am a retired nurse and he is 38.  He has been drinking a lot for a long time but is still a functioning alcoholic.  He is in good health except for the fact he smokes and drinks.  He still works every day.  Dr. said his liver is a little damaged but not bad.  After reading all the posts about Librium, this seems doable at home with the proper instruction and knowledge and support.  I just don't know how to go about getting him Librium.  He lives in another state and I want him to come down here to Florida and stay with me while he detoxes.  If he agrees.  I still have a lot of reading to do about the detox process but any help is appreciated.  He doesn't have a Dr. where he lives yet since he just switched insurance companies and I am not sure he could get on a plane with Librium.  I don't know, maybe he could.  Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have another question and I am hoping that if you have experience with this you will reply with any knowledge you have.  My son is still in detox and doing pretty well.  I am so proud of him.  Anyway , the detox center actually talked to him about Vivatrol.  I looked it up and it is actually Natroxolone.  My question is is this shot that they are talking about good for him?  They say it lasts for 28 days and takes away his pleasure for the alcohol in case he drinks.  I googled it and it says you shouldn't drink while taking it.  People on here have talked about taking a pill one hour before a drink.  Wouldn't that be a better system?  Kind of confused.......

• Posted

The FDA approved way of using Naltrexone for Alcohol Use Disorder is to take it daily while abstaining from drinking. In the studies done on that method, it fared about as well as placebo in helping people maintain abstinence. It does seem to help people maintain abstinence for a time and some get a year or more out of it when taken that way. 

I haven't seen any studies that indicate Vivitrol really fares any better, but it does eliminate the "forgot to take it" excuse. 

One could get a Rx for Naltrexone and take it only if they feel they are about to break abstinence and have a drink. That has a clinical success rate of about 80%. In my eyes, it's less expensive and more effective. 

The traditional treatment paradigm focuses on getting people to abstinence asap and holding them there. The 5-year success rate of that strategy is about 10%. That's not to say it doesn't work, it just doesn't work for most people. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.