Alcohol injections as BPH treatment

Posted , 20 users are following.

This is from the Dailymail :

Hope for millions of men with enlarged prostates as scientists discover the gland can be shrunk with direct injections of alcohol

Injecting ethanol directly into the prostate could shrink it by more than a third

And it reduces how often men need to get up in the night to urinate

One expert said the pioneering treatment is 'excellent news'

'Ethanol injection can be an effective, non-surgical alternative in treatment of patients with [an enlarged prostate].'

The scientists tested the therapy on 60 middle-aged men by injecting nine shots of pure alcohol – ethanol – directly into their prostates through the rectum.

Their prostates were around 35 per cent smaller on average.

Doctors suggest this reduction is caused by the alcohol killing off unwanted cells, shrinking any swelling. 

And the men suffered from 48 per cent fewer symptoms, which can include difficulty urinating and needing the toilet frequently.

There were no severe side-effects of the jab, whereas some currently-used drugs can reduce men's sex drives.'

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It does appear that ethanol has been tested several times in the past 20 years or so. Here is an excerpt from a recent article that probably sums up the reason that we're not offered that option now:

Ethanol. This agent was the first one to be tried for LUTS/BPH. Once it demonstrated serious although rare side effects, it was discontinued as a potential course of treatment.

Still, it's an interesting concept. I predict that someday this type of simple and effective treatment will be available. I like the idea of reducing the volume of the prostate this way. The Rezum process is very much similar, but with a couple of advantages. The steam is a benign 'chemical' that can't by itself cause any side effects. Also, the steam is injected in the parts of the prostate that are adjacent to the urethra, where the size reduction is needed the most.

As I see it, the only disadvantages to the Rezum are that 1. some uros still try to do it with local anesthesia, which isn't always effective and 2. it takes some time for the swelling to go down and for the body to eliminate the necrotized prostate cells, so it almost always requires a temporary catheterization whether CIC or Foley.

I suppose that I could also add a third caveat, the skill and experience of the surgeon, but that applies to all of the currently available BPH procedures.

• Posted

Ken, this new approach is going through the rectum. Perhaps they get the idea from FLA. I always hope for something less invasive.

• Posted

Hank

Yes that is true I hope it becomes reality.

I'm trying to find out more information on the delivery of the procedure. Do they give you a block in the prostate first before they do the 9 injections. I think that would be painful to go through.

I know when my one clip let loose my doctor tried to put it back on my prostate . It was not a walk in the park. He did not give me anything I just told him since your in there go ahead. He was doing a scope to check my stricture. I never new it was off.

Only time will tell Ken

• Posted

, thanks for the news Hank do you know who might be providing these treatments? I wonder if it is dishes permanent reduction or if as most of my activities that wears off with the alcohol? Have a great holiday season. Good to hear from you

• Posted

John, good to hear from you. I only know from the article mentioned above. Here is more of it:

"Researchers from University Hospital Caracas in Venezuela found the injection – for which they used a 25cm needle – could shrink swollen prostates as well as drugs.

And it reduced their needs for night-time toilet visits by almost half, The Sun reported."

As far as the durability, I found a trial study that indicated very good results up to 54 months, for similar procedure that went through the urethra. It's called TEAP. Hank

• Posted

This been around a while. Maybe it was in trials. I'd post links but they'll be moderated out. Just google it

• Posted

Link to trial from 2002

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00037141

• Posted

Hey buddy

I saw that one. It is the shots through the urethra into the prostate. The other trail that I found was the injection through the rectum into the prostate. That one was in late 2017 .

Who know if this will come to be. Time will tell.

Happy New Years.........Ken

• Posted

Hey Rich

I'm going to have to look again for it. I found it the other day when I was looking at some of the other information. I know it was done late in 2017 and the one I read had 19 men in it. There were others but it was 5 AM.

When I find it I will get it to you.

Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.