Alcohol user disorder??

Posted , 12 users are following.

i have a friend who I'm 99% certain has AUD. it's like looking at myself 20 years ago.

We meet once a week, or rather should do, but she often cancels at short notice and gives the excuses I used to use. When we do meet we usually go for lunch, either a restaurant or pub and share a bottle of wine. However, the last few times, she's ordered a second bottle, even though I've said I've had enough. She will either go to the bar suddenly or grap a waiter for a second bottle, and always finishes it. Sometimes I will have another couple of glasses, but normally don't.

She always has a bottle of water in her handbag (mine used to be v&t instead of water!) She always wants the loo several times whilst we're shopping, and at restaurants (again one of my old tricks, a quick top up) She always wants to try clothes on. I've tried saying "leave you're bag with me whilst you try on, "but she says no I'm fine with it.

Ive tried suggesting coffee shops instead, but she normally says the food is too expensive! and she's forever sucking mints or ghewing gum.

My question is do I stop pussy footing about and just come straight out and ask her? She knows my history with alcohol and the problems it caused me and my family. I've even said I don't want a drink, i don't want to go backwards in the hope she will say something.

I would be interested in any suggestions anyone has, but after re-reading my post have decided I will say something. If she doesn't like me asking then tough. I only wish someone had tackled me earlier

1 like, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm shocked and so sad to read this this morning. My heart goes out to you and her family. Please don't feel guilty, you've done everything you can and if you had come on heavy with her, she would have run a mile anyway.

She is lucky to have such a good friend when she comes out of hospital. It might be good to have your input at the hospital if and when they decide what to do.

I hope and pray she gets through this. It's so very sad xx

• Posted

Wow Vickylou, It seem's that this situation has unbelievably Snow Balled in just 4 Days. It must be a huge shock for everyone involved, but on the other hand,....Did your friend not live with her Husband? For Him to not notice his Wife consuming so much Alcohol that she has damaged all of Her internal organs, seems to me that he has been incredibly ignorant or has been brushing this seriouse problem under the carpet for a very long Time, which seems the most likely as you have already painted a picture of him wanting to keep his affairs verymuch Private. Although we don't know what he may have been struggling with behind closed doors, he could have done something sooner. And as for that Doctor to just Pooh-Pooh the Situation when evidence would have been savagely blatant of the Alcohol abuse, amazes me and I would complain because this is indeed, Gross Negligence and nothing less. You lanced a boil that was long overdue, but at least you were there and spoke out, which in itself shows how much care about your friend. Hindsight is a amazing at giving you that null feeling of guilt which is totally invalid, just take these emotions as another sign of how much you cared for your Friend, for if you didn't feel some sort of negative feeling after this awful story, you would have to be Stone Cold.

If you Friend does pull through from this, she would have had a drastic lifestyle change thrust uppon her and she will have just the Two choices, Live or Die. If she still turns down help after this, don't take on the idea of wanting to save her as it will end in Tragedy, and being someone whom themselves survived AUD, I doubt this would be good for the soul. Welldone for all you are doing, keep us posted. AL 

• Posted

I have never understood why sectioning under the mental health act, covers some forms of serious self harm and not others. I am not sayng that I think all people with AUD should be carted off to hospital against their will (!) but the idea of protecting someone from harm against themself, seems so blurry. I dont see choosing to kill yourself with alcohol as a sane choice. Of course the treatment needs to become before it gets to this point, but it seems like a form of massive medical neglect that people are left to damage themselves so badly, often with little help as if it's a choice being made. Who would make that choice if they really believed they had a better one?

• Posted

For everyone who was following my thread

My friend died yesterday and both her sons were with her, so she didn't die alone and they had a chance to say goodbye

• Posted

Aww Vicks, so sorry to hear that. At least she didn't die alone bless her xx

You've been a good friend xx

• Posted

OMG Vicks I am so sorry to hear this news .You did everything you could possibly do for your dear friend and enabled her boys to be with her at the end .Such a tragic story.Thinking of you hun xx
    • Posted

i am totally shocked and so sad to hear this..you did try to help....Robin
    • Posted

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss Vickylou, you tried to help but I still can't help but think her family could have done a lot more. It's totally unbelievable that someone that is Married and has children can go from a Secret Alcoholic to no longer being with us in the space of a Week and a half. Especially as the Husband was so proud that he didn't even want the Doctor to know about the situation by paying for private rehab. You quite plainly did everything you could and I'm sure that you put yourself in a difficult situation when it was down to her Family to have tackled the situation Years ago. I'm presume the cause of death was organ failure? You know as well as I do that Liver Disease does not happen over night. Cirrhosis generally happens in a period of no less than 10 years (on average). There is certainly something fishy here, and many questions to be asked. She must have had suffering from Alcoholic Hepatitis for a good while and must have been to the GP a number of times in the last Year or so. Im finding myself getting upset about the lack of care that this poor Woman had. She must have been going through so much pain (physically and Mentally) Why was everyone around her trying to cover this up, the Doctor is clearly Incompetent or at best, neglectful.

I really feel sorry for you Vickylou, you were clearly her best (so might say only) friend that she had. Do you mind telling me what County she was in? My thought are with you. AL 

• Posted

HI Again,,,sorry that my reply was short and Pistal666 did a brilliant reply and exactly my feelings..you did what you could and her family did know but did not do enough soon enough...her sons and husband are obviously distraught....not easy and you have been a good support. regards Robin
    • Posted

I don't believe the lady had been to her GP at all.

I've had no end of trouble trying to get answers from my gastro as to where exactly I am, the best I could get from him is that I am Child-Pugh A, which is the first stage of cirrhosis. When I had my ultrasound last year, the radiologist said to me (after I asked her to give me a straight answer). well, it's not great (my liver) but it's no worse than it was two years ago.

I mention the above, because three years ago this April, I went to see my GP feeling unwell and losing the use of my legs. He sent me straight to hospital, telling me that I would not be going home that night, but not why. Only when I got my patient notes about a year later, did I realise I was sent for suspected liver failure.

To make it more interesting, I had a brain haemorrhage, so 12 hours later, they sent me to the super hospital, where they were planning to take a Black & Decker to my skull, fortunately that never happened. All the time I was at the original hospital, my notes kept saying - Pt Alert & Orientated.

Whilst I was in ITC I became jaundiced, I was also diagnosed with portal hypertension/oesophageal varices and according the doctors I started to suffer from hepatic encephalopathy. The lead consultant told me some weeks later, that he was surprised I had survived.

Two things stand out for me. One, why had I developed those then, since I had never had anything like it previously and also they are not really symptoms of C-P A, more C-P C.

I didn't really want to mention this, but I have a personal feeling, that whilst someone maybe drinking themselves to death, whilst they are still drinking, it allows the body to function in some way. I understand detox, I have had it done in hospital and have done it myself at home. But I feel that the sudden withdrawal of alcohol brings on symptoms that may have previously been kept under the surface.

Do not forget, that this woman was taken to hospital, so obviously no alcohol, but after one night, partial detox, she self discharged and she went to a hotel. Her body could have just gone into complete shock.

I know that the first hospital I was at, they just did a CT scan for my brain, no ultrasound was done to view my vital organs. As I said, I don't think she went to the GP and by the time the hospital got hold of her properly, it would have to been too late for anything else but palliative care.

• Posted

Rhgb

many thanks for the above explanation. Yes you're correct in saying that my friend had not been to her gp. Her husband had asked her on several occasions if she'd been drinking, but the answer was always, no or I've just had a glass of wine.

I genuinely believe she was a 'functioning alcoholic'. Both her sons knew she liked a,drink and could easily drink a bottle of wine in an evening. They never saw her completely wasted or passed out.

she spent a lot of time on her own, sons were at university, her husband spent more time away than he was at home. I was her best friend, had suffered with AUD myself, yet it never dawned on me how much she was drinking. It was only recently that I'd got suspicious, and having done similar things, i.e. Vodka in a water bottle, always wanting the loo, the missed meetings, cancelled at the last minute.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, looking back now, yes the signs were there, but only if you knew what you were looking for.

• Posted

Certainly amazing that you are still alive. We can certainly learn from your story. Robin
  • Posted

Dear Vickylou. We have texted each other today and I just want to add that I am shocked, sad,in fact horrified that your friend has died. You did all you could and my heart goes out to you. And her poor sons.

I agree totally with Pistal and Robin. How could someone alive and kicking last Friday just die so suddenly. How could her husband and family not have done anything.?

• Posted

I've known of a lot of people who have died from alcoholism but only through rehab or in AA. They tried, their family, friends tried to help them but they couldn't stop. But to die with no help from GP, family it's really shocked me. As you know I've been to hell and back many times due to alcoholism, but because of the love of my family I'm still here. It's such a very sad story. Blessings to you xxx

• Posted

Vickylou. I talked to a friend today who is 9 years sober. As your friends story upset me so much. He said that if she wanted help, to get better, to get sober, then she would have asked for help from family and you. Like we have all done. And thank God we are still alive and living. She chose to live in denial and could not see a future without alcohol. God bless her, her boys, family and you. I'm sure she did not choose to die but alcohol kills and your story, actually your friends story, may help people to wake up and stop. It's helped me. So thank you xx

• Posted

Hi paper

Youre right, alcohol kills. If it helps just one person, then something good has come out of it. I totally agree with your friend, help is there, but we have to look and ask for it

At the end of the day, it was her choice not to seek help to get better. Family wise, there was only really her sons and they'd more or less left home. As I said before her husband was away more than he was at home. Whilst he was never violent towards her, he was a control freak and was emotionally abusive to her. She had lost all her confidence, and just basically existed from day to day. I think I told you on the phone, she had her own secret 'bar' upstairs, which no-one knew about. She was quite clever having a couple of drinks with the family, when they were all there (which wasn't very often) knowing she'd got a secret supply hidden away

I am so glad things are working out well for you. You know where I am, so text or phone anytime xx

• Posted

Those are very good points Paper fairy. The person with AUD has to want to get better. Would I be right in thinking tho that it is a huge commitment to make for someone with AUD, a life without alcohol? Is this where TSM would perhaps fill the gap?

My husband still thinks he is fit and healthy, even tho his platelets were not clumping properly and his blood was thin. Still refuses to have a scan which his GP wants him to have. Still in denial really, but is faithfully taking Campral thank goodness xx

• Posted

I have never met anyone/spoken to anyone that didn't want to get better.

There are some people, generally older people who realise it might be a bit too late for them, who are stubborn and say they prefer drinking. But I think they feel it is too late for them.

The problem is getting help and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The system does not make it easy and puts a lot of people off trying. I think if the system were a lot easier, like GPs being more helpful to start with and then ARCs employing competent skilled staff who were up to speed on all the options. That were able to assess people properly and not use a one size fits all strategy, we would see a far higher success rate.

Yes, it is a huge commitment for someone to give up alcohol for the rest of their lives. It is a huge psychological barrier, that scares the bejesus (I was going to use a word that began with S) out of people.Yes, I think TSM partly fills that gap.

He will come around to the scan. At the moment he doesn't want to know what damage he might have done, he is concentrating on the positive, that he has stopped drinking - last year would you have put money on that happening?

The longer he takes Campral (up to 12 months) the better. It takes him (time wise) further away from alcohol, resets the brain more and lets his liver heal the best, because no alcohol at all is being consumed.

• Posted

Thanks again RHGB that clarifies things for me. Not having AUD makes it difficult for me to understand the drive the cravings but I am trying. I know that he has come a long way; sober in Feb! That has not happened since 2014 and it took a month of rehab to reach that point, so to do it with Campral at home is a huge step. I am a worryer. I just want him to be well. I think when you have seen your loved one close to death as he has been, you cannot help but worry.

By the way, I am not discussing any of this with him, just you poor guys! x

• Posted

Hi julieAnne

please don't think for a minute that I'm criticising you cause I'm not

Like RHGB said, being told or realising that you can never drink again is a horrific thought for someone contemplating abstainance. This is where calpral helped me enormously.

certainly for me, by taking campral correctly, the cravings I used to have, slowly ebbed and flowed, until after about 6 months I can honestly say the cravings had gone.

This is where I get confused. Your husband has stated many times he's happy just taking campral which is an anti craving medication. Yet you keep going on to him about TSM and want him to give it ago, to the extent of buying drugs and having them ready for him.

Im only saying how I felt when someone told me I could still drink on campral (withdrawal never mentioned, unlike Antabuse ) . To my way of thinking, and I stress this is only how I would have felt, knowing that there was medication in the house which enabled me to continue drinking, is a condradiction to my taking campral. To me, the two drugs are the complete opposite.of each other. What's the point of taking campral for a year. Hopefully without alcohol the cravings had stopped, only to be told "right campral done and dusted, I don't crave alcohol, so hey hoe, let's try this drug, it must be excellent as prescribed by a dr and i can now drink without lying or feeling guilty, the opposite of what I've been doing for a year"

If your husband wants to drink, he will, no matter what. Campral is making him forget alcohol, or rather to crave it. " a life without alcohol is where TSM might help fill the gap" TSM to me, is a red light to drink. 

Im hoping someone will explain why TSM is so successful yet allows you to drink, when you've spent a year on campral not drinking.

as I've already said, and I stress only my view, the two drugs contradict each other.

• Posted

Hi vicks. No and no. That's not where we are. Yes I wanted him to use TSM, I don't deny that, but now he is comitted to using Campral. He will not be mixing the two together that would be counterproductive. He has only agreed to start TSM if he feels that Campral is no longer working for him. However, HE WILL DECIDE NOT ME. The Naltrexone is there if all else fails, IF HE WANTS IT. I realise that TSM is not for everyone the same as AA isn't. He has tried AA he has tried CBT neither has worked.

An important point- he has never used Campral or Naltrexone. So neither of us knew at that time which method would be the best. He only knew that alcohol repulsed him and he could not bear to drink anymore even with Naltrexone.

He believes Campral is working for him. That is fine as long as it works. All I want from him now is honesty. If he picks up and feels Campral isn't working. I DO NOT want him to start bingeing again. He is pushing 60. He only has to have a maximum of 9 units (approx 1 bottle of wine) in 24 hours now, in order to get hooked. That isnt much. I could drink that at a push. If he drinks any less than 8 units in the 24 hours after, he starts the dts. The seizures soon after that with tachycardia then myocardial infarction. That has happened to him. Do you see what we are up against? DESPERATION DRIVES YOU TO TRY ANYTHING. Campral TSM whatever.

He must be safe. February is a bad month for him, but so far he has been fine. I hope that this explains things a bit more x

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation which makes sense. I suppose you have to look at the long term picture as to what he will do after a year on campral. No criticism intended, just me being curious.

good luck with campral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.