Alcohol user disorder??

Posted , 12 users are following.

i have a friend who I'm 99% certain has AUD. it's like looking at myself 20 years ago.

We meet once a week, or rather should do, but she often cancels at short notice and gives the excuses I used to use. When we do meet we usually go for lunch, either a restaurant or pub and share a bottle of wine. However, the last few times, she's ordered a second bottle, even though I've said I've had enough. She will either go to the bar suddenly or grap a waiter for a second bottle, and always finishes it. Sometimes I will have another couple of glasses, but normally don't.

She always has a bottle of water in her handbag (mine used to be v&t instead of water!) She always wants the loo several times whilst we're shopping, and at restaurants (again one of my old tricks, a quick top up) She always wants to try clothes on. I've tried saying "leave you're bag with me whilst you try on, "but she says no I'm fine with it.

Ive tried suggesting coffee shops instead, but she normally says the food is too expensive! and she's forever sucking mints or ghewing gum.

My question is do I stop pussy footing about and just come straight out and ask her? She knows my history with alcohol and the problems it caused me and my family. I've even said I don't want a drink, i don't want to go backwards in the hope she will say something.

I would be interested in any suggestions anyone has, but after re-reading my post have decided I will say something. If she doesn't like me asking then tough. I only wish someone had tackled me earlier

1 like, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A short reply before it disappears!!

I don't think this lady is ready. When she is I hope you will be there for her Vickylou. Though be careful not to get too involved as I did a year ago. You, your sobriety and your family should always come first. God bless xx

• Posted

I will be careful and proceed with caution! I know she's in a hotel nearby, and can guess which one.

i don't think there is anything else I can do at the moment. It's caused friction between my husband and I. He's fed up with all the middle of the night calls and texts. He was also annoyed that I had to get our son involved when the taxi refused to take her.

if she accepted her problem and asked for help, then that would be a different ball game. Of course I'd do what I can. Rightly or wrongly, her husband either closed or transferred their bank accounts, so he's stopped her access to money. Unless she's got a stack of cash, she's in for a shock.

• Posted

I do feel for her, what a horrible situation. You must be torn Vicks. Hope something positive happens soon x
    • Posted

I'm getting in a muddle which posts I've replied to, it's old age!

The latest info I have about my friend is she checked into a hotel for the night and was found unconscious on the floor outside her room. She is still unconscious in A&E for the second time in less than 24 hours

• Posted

Old age? You and me both!

Sorry to hear about your friend. Lets hope she gets admitted to hosp and they detox her. x

Hope you are ok.x

• Posted

Vickylou, what a good friend you are. Though she's in the depths of alcoholism and doesn't realise or appreciate you now. I don't think stopping all money is a good thing as she may steal or worse. Thankfully I never got to those depths but I had a friend that did. And not judging her at all.

The best thing for her is for her husband to have her sectioned. She will then get the meds and support and have a few days, weeks sober. And time to reflect. Not sure how easy that is in Derby. It helped me xx

• Posted

If she is to be sectioned, then it won't be until Monday. Too many people needed who don't do weekends.

her husband wants her to have residential rehab. He's not bothered how much it costs. The only rehab I've ever heard of was the Priory, where did you go if you don't mind my asking?

• Posted

I went to the priory in Nottingham but it's closed now, though they have one in Birmingham. Rehab is good, it teaches you that you can enjoy life sober. Unfortunately for me, I had to go through a divorce and selling my business of 20 years. So I wasn't quite ready.

The best rehab I've ever been to was a private one in Harrogate. I was funded to go there by NHS as they had no beds left in mental health. I was there for 6 weeks. They did not force the aa programme on you as the only way. They gave me cbt and fantastic counselling. I think it's very expensive though.

I can give you very good advice on rehab as I went to 2 for a few days and it made me worse. Re full of drug addicts, funded by NHS, not really serious about sobriety. Though I have nothing against drug addicts if they want to get well!! X

• Posted

Tara PT was a drug addict/alcoholic and related to the Royal Family. George Michael was an addict..could go on.

I don't judge xx

• Posted

Thanks for that Info. I'm not surprised two made you worse, it must have been awful for you. Don't know if I'd have stayed or not. What's the other forum that you're on OS?

• Posted

Quantum Sobriety. Though I'm sure they will delete this. It's saved my life..

Please let me know if your friend is going to a rehab. Don't let her partner waste his money on rubbish ones xx

• Posted

Piory is so expensive and private that you can easily buy a nice 2nd hand car. Great that NHS somtimes pays for this!! Sound like a great idea if the husband is prepared to pay for it. This is perhaps a plan. Best of luck with you friend Vickylou.
    • Posted

Yes Robin, I was very very lucky. I justified it by thinking about all the tax and vat I've paid over 20 years. 

I think the NHS is in such a crisis now that it doesn't happen anymore. 

Thanks for your reply

• Posted

Just to update all who have followed my post about my friend. she is way to ill to be suitable for TSM. Residential rehab is no longer an option. She is jaundiced very badly, her central nervous system is 'shot' whatever that means, and she is bleeding out of several orrifices. She may make it, but it is touch and go. They are now concerned about her kidneys and organs shutting down. All the medical staff, even the A&E consultant, can't believe that she was able to function, at least on the outside, and meet me in a restaurant and actually eat normally.

• Posted

Oh, believe me, it is possible to function normally, when you are very ill and not even know it.

Their concern about bleeding, will be internal, probably oesophageal varices. They might do banding.

If you speak to the husband, just say that you know someone that was jaundiced and had an emergency admission to hospital and he is still alive and well, and annoying people to this day.

As I've said before, my consulatant didn't expect me to be around long, but I felt that I wasn't ready to go just yet. I am surprised that they didn't pick this up whilst she was in A&E.

• Posted

Oh Vickylou I am so sorry to read this about .poor poor lady .Well I just hope she gets all the good medical care she needs and lots of love and support to pull through this. Warm love your way x
    • Posted

Of course RHGB why didn't I remember your emergency admission. Didn't you go to your gp about your legs and he then made arrangements for you to be admitted. You didn't know you had a problem with your liver, am I right?

I will certainly mention you in my speechvv and the lengths you had to go through just to get  Campral 

• Posted

Thanks Nat

from what I can gather from her husband, it's a waiting game, the next 48 hours are critical. Obviously I'm getting updates from him, but he doesn't seem to know if she is still unconscious, or in an induced coma. I said to  paul that i feel guilty about not tackling her earlier on I didn't realise that you can function normally with liver failure, yet a couple of days later, you've aged by about 20 years.

are you still feeling a bit spaced out? I'm sure it will settle down, just take it slowly, you're doing really well

• Posted

oh dear...so much going on..will pray for her...Robin
    • Posted

The poor girl. So sorry for her and her family. Hope she can be saved.

Don't feel guilty vicks, you were the only one that did anything x

• Posted

Hi JulieAnne

I am trying not to feel guilty, but I had my suspicions last summer and I feel I should have acted sooner. However there is nothing I can do, I can't go back. Just hope she pulls through. Thank you for those kind words

• Posted

As JulieAnne says Don't feel guilty Vicks you were never to know this was going to happen .Just thank God you were there for her on that day. You are her friend and will there long beyond this if she pulls through.I have seen liver failure kick in within a few days in people that have taken paracetamol overdoses The amount it seemed your friend was pouring into herself the liver just couldnt metabolise and some people's liver will take a lot less.The damage to her liver ,as we know , was probably well underway and recent events were the last straw so to speak.Dont beat yourself up over this hunny.

I feel better today.I don't think I had eaten enough when I took the nalmefene Friday evening . Made sure I did it different last night and ate a big meal first .For me I think that's what helps as dont want ti keep getting icky side effects Barely fancied 1 glass last night 😊😆

• Posted

Hi Nat. So glad things went a bit better last night. Don't know what's happening with Angela's journey with TSM x

We are ok but he is still refusing liver scan says I'm worrying over nothing, but you don't get a lack of platelets and thin blood with nothing going on in your liver x

What has happened to vick's friend and to RHGB brings it all sharply into focus x

Thanks for listnening as always x

• Posted

Thanks JulieAnne I hope Angela is finding her way with TSM .None of its easy , I.m not sure the meds are giving me some side effects but its a journey to complete .My best days are no meds and no alcohol lol so thats a lot of the week now Bizarre isn't it 😶 Is the doc concerned about hubby and wanting this scan ? just wonder if they are doing anything else re the blood etc ..I really feel for you as you have this constant worry ...He is sober and that is a huge thing but of course underlying health issues won't go away just because of sobriety will they .. quiet and stubborn is he ? Enjoy Sunday x

• Posted

Yep, I felt completely out of sorts, nausea (feeling ill/sick without actually be sick). Fell over the evening/night before in the house and that my balance was all over the place.

The wife made an appointment for the following afternoon at the GP. I didn't want to go (I was that ill) but she forced me. She only told me this after a couple of years, but she said when you staggered in the GP's surgery, the look on the doctors face was of horror. He picked up the phone and called the bed mananger at the local hospital, and said I was to go straight there, my wife was to drive me and that I would not be coming home that night.

I was admitted for suspected liver failure (although I didn't find that out until I bought my hospital records), but all hell broke loose when they did a CT scan and found a severe brain haemorrhage, they didn't know which ward to put me in, Castle (liver) or Victoria (neuro).

After they had done a blood plasma transfusion they shipped me off to the 'super hospital' where I spent about two days in ITC and then a week in the 'one step down' ward.

And then about another six weeks in various other wards, ending up in the gastro ward, but also having neuro consultants to see me. All fun and games, life's an experience.

• Posted

You certainly don't do things by halves do you? 

Reading between the lines, we are talking ESLD if I've got it right, end stage liver disease, severe alcohol poisoning has also been mentioned. She's been transferred to ICU. It's very difficult for me to find out exactly what the full situation is, could she recover enough to have some sort of life, what is the prognosis? I'm not family and the only updates I get are what her husband chooses to tell me.

• Posted

I do know a couple of people(when went aa) that were on the liver ward with ESLD. Touch and go but lived, though they can not drink and haven't. So there is still hope for your poor friend. 

Its incredible that she hasn't had symptoms up to this point as it usually takes many months of alcohol abuse to get to this stage.

I dearly hope and pray she gets through this and gets the support she needs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.