Alcohol withdraw issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its been about 60 hours since my last drink i think. Prior to that i was blacked out for maybe 8-10 days. Dont remember much at all. Probably drank over 5 gallons of hard liquor in that time. Before this bender ive probably been averaging 4-10 drinks for a little more then 10 years. Im aged 27. The shakes are managable but a few hours ago i had a pretty gnarly muscle spasm in my arm and hand. Could this be part of the anxiety attacks I've been having? Has enough time passed to not worry about seizures? And trust me people. I know if i dont get sober I'll probably die. Sobriety for life is my goal. When the shakes slow and my speach is normal and my pouring sweat and anxiety slows Im starting a few programs.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow! Next time around get ahold of your doc and at least get some benzos to help you out. That's a rough ride, pal.

I'd suggest you check out the medical support options for post detox. Are you UK or US?

• Posted

US. So healthcare for me isnt too much of an option unless its dire. A friend stocked me up with some vitamins she said theyd probably give me in the hospital. Dont think theyve helped. On the bender i only ate once so im sure thats added to the issues.
    • Posted

Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly due to the siezures, so that rates as dire. Really, next time around just get someone to take you to emergency or call 911.

Take the thiamine if nothing else, but if there's a b-complex, take some of that too. Too much b-complex makes me sluggish, so if it has 1000's of percent RDA of the b vitamins, perhaps one every 2nd or 3rd day, but the thiamine (b1) is very important. Others may come in with some additional recommendations, but it sounds like you're past the worst part. Do try to get some food down, or even some gatorade, broth, easy stuff.

I hear you saying that you're aiming for sobriety and I hope you get there. Detox and abstinence doesn't have the best success record so a "Plan B" might well be in order. If you can manage to stay dry, maybe with some social support (AA, SMART Recovery, secular non-12 step, etc.) then roll with it. 

There are meds to help you stay in control after detox. Campral is one of them. The Sinclair Method is one you can use if you feel you're about to break abstinence, not while you're abstinent. Take some of the money that you're going to save on drinking and try to track down a doc that knows about these meds and how to use them. Again, if you can manage without, so much the better. But if you start drinking again, you may well accelerate beyone your prior drinking levels, so you want to be ready to tap your doc and quash it fast. 

That being said, congratulations on kicking the bottle to the curb. Do you have some more time to rest and take care of yourself? You've been through quite a trial.

• Posted

thanks. Havs b complex, zinc, and some random multivitamins. I have a list of AA and NA meetings near by. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to leave the house without anxiety attacks to get that started. Im unemployed ar rhe moment so thankfully I can submerge myself in those. I'll definitely look into those other programs. Thank you very much!

• Posted

You betcha and good luck. 

Campral is a med you take a few times a day while you're dry, takes a couple of weeks to kick in and it kills your drinking triggers. The Sinclair Method is outlined here, since you're abstinent it's not going to be of immediate use, but it would be good to know the principal behind it just in case you need such an option in the future:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

That covers a couple of the meds that are available for after detox. If you can manage with AA/NA (SMART Recovery might be something to check out too), you're good to go, but if you find yourself relapsing in those programs (which many do), be ready to move on to your next option.

I Hope you're feeling much better tomorrow. If the panic attacks are still a problem, maybe look for some L-theanine. Some pharmacies might have it, but I'm fairly sure a health food store would. It doesn't work for everyone, but when it does, it gets stellar marks. 

• Posted

Ya, you need an Ativan! Been through what you're going through, including the blackouts.

At 72 hours, I would say your good, but of course I am not a doctor and everyone is different, I can only speak from what I have been through. Try to get an Ativan, drink some chamomile tea, as much water as you can handle, and little bits of food.

• Posted

Thanks. Ive been working thru a lot of fruit and juices.an atavan sounds great but no way of getting one
    • Posted

You can just go to a walk in clinic, tell them what you're experiencing and they will def perscribe you one. But I know what its like to not want to leave the house while withdrawling.

• Posted

Drew I'm from the bay area and just moved up to the great white north of Warshington. This forum helps and has gotten me through a lot of crazy things. I'm exactly 10 years older than you and I know what you are going through and I'm sorry bUT you are moving forward. I landed once in the ER and once again 2 and 1/2 months ago when I moved up here. Listen to the advice here and it will help. Fluids,food, vitamins,and keeping yourself busy can help so much. Talk soon.

• Posted

Thank you. Ive landed my self 4 times in the ER on drug overdoses. This doesnt even compare.
  • Posted

Hi I can't advise on the various treatments etc. The worst times l find are when you have nothing to do. To break this habit is hard, keeping yourself busy helps to take your mind off the demon.

Go for it.

• Posted

Wow! Good for you. I never had withdrawals that bad. Sounds really rough. Keep going and I really have nothing else to add since I agree with what everyone else wrote. Just want to show my support and wish you luck. You can do this!

Smile ☺

• Posted

Thank you. This means a lot. This js the hardest thing ive ever done. All the support really brings tears to my eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.