Alcohol withdraw issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Its been about 60 hours since my last drink i think. Prior to that i was blacked out for maybe 8-10 days. Dont remember much at all. Probably drank over 5 gallons of hard liquor in that time. Before this bender ive probably been averaging 4-10 drinks for a little more then 10 years. Im aged 27. The shakes are managable but a few hours ago i had a pretty gnarly muscle spasm in my arm and hand. Could this be part of the anxiety attacks I've been having? Has enough time passed to not worry about seizures? And trust me people. I know if i dont get sober I'll probably die. Sobriety for life is my goal. When the shakes slow and my speach is normal and my pouring sweat and anxiety slows Im starting a few programs.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Welcome!

I believe the muscle spasms are from dehydration.

Drink plenty of fluids..you are really not out of the "seizure" danger zone yet until past the 3 rd day..Usually the 3rd day is the worst danger...which you are at in this moment.

I would say from experience..that 27 is young and hopefully and possibly you will not have a seizure....I don't have any medical information for the reason I think you will not have a seizure...except for my personal experience.

For years and years...AND YEARS...I have drank tremendous amounts.  I did not experience seizures during withdrawals until the last 2 years....and I have been to the hospital at least 7 times in the last 2 years due to drinking and wanting a medical detox...only ONE TIME out of those 7 times did I have a real seizure.

I had brain trembles prior to that...the shaking, the muscle freezes...but the seizures never came...I did have hallucinations....probably 4 out of the 7 times...I was told it is very RARE for seizures to occur...but very possible based on the amounts I was drinking (and you were drinking).

I will also tell you from experience....i think that by Day 5...you will just start feeling better and for me the anxiety did not lift totally for about 2 weeks..but did ease up after the first week...(I think we bring much of the anxiety on ourselves with all the worry we have during the first few days of recovery...like are we going to make it?  are we going to have a seizure? should I have gone to the hospital? am I ever going to feel better again?).

I'm glad you have a plan...I'm glad you found us...and don't give up on sobriety..put as much effort into it as you did drinking...all the work we do to keep drinking is ridiculous...life gets easier sober....

Congrats on 3 DAYS!

• Posted

Thank you! Thst makes me feel mucb better. I have a friend who had seizures due to a brain tumor and the description sounds rather similarly scary. But i already have came to the conclusion Im my own worst enemy.
  • Posted

hi dREW. I am joining late and the other have given brilliant advice..take advice from your doctor and this seems very very serious..i cannot really advice you since I was never blacked out for 8 to 10 days and had to work, drive etc and could not have done that AND my wife would have found out....keep trying but the suffering, sweating and dizziness is horrible!! best of luck to you! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.