Alcohol withdrawal

Posted , 14 users are following.

I recently visited my doctor and after a number of tests it seems I have a fatty liver and (occasionally) high blood pressure. As a 34 year old man I know this isn't a good sign. I am already taking 10mg Citalopram a day for anxiety and I'm not stupid - I know that the anxiety is probably linked to the booze I drink (between 13-25 units daily in the evening) and I know that if I don't do something about the drink now it will only get worse. I have been a heavy drinker for 15 years. I never drink in the morning and very rarely during the day.

I'm getting little help from my GP in terms of withdrawal decided to cut the amount I am drinking as I know that completely stopping isn't something I am going to do straight away. To do this, I've found a low alcohol beer (1.2 units a can) which means that I'm reducing my units down to 4.8 if I only have 4 cans a night. I know this is still above the recommended daily amount but it's a start. So:

Sunday night: I drank 4.8 units

Last night: I drank 3.6 units

This is dramatically less than I have been.

I managed on this and was able to sleep without any sleeping pills but the problem is that I feel so groggy in the morning - I can't wake up (after 8 hours of sleep) and I feel really 'heady' today. I just find it really hard to get going.

Can anyone give me any ideas has to what is causing this feeling?

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Raymond... You r only kidding yourself.....alcohol is alcohol no matter what the content. rolleyes
    • Posted

I'm not kidding anyone - I'm being sensible. It makes complete sense that going to 3.6 units a day from 20 is going to have health benefits such as reducing stress on the heart, reducing damage to the liver and reducing the risk of stroke. It's also within UK government guidelines as "safe".

Nevertheless, thanks for the encouragement neutral

• Posted

Of course u r being absolutely sensible by  cutting down. That's right the alcohol isn't that  how u are in the health mess UR in now?

So cutting down has all the health benefits unlisted so did u add the health benefits of eating wet rocks too!  Smart choice.! U said UR not stupid then go into rehab that's the smart choice.

u spend so much on booze then spend it on getting well. Invest in UR life UR family UR future.

Ud probably be better off just accepting that this isn't just UR life UR making choices for, it's UR whole family. They love u and don't want to watch you self destruct and suffer any more. Can u not for once stop letting the addiction control UR decisions, but make decisions to find sobriety. How many times in the past have u cut down on UR alcohol intake? And how long did it last? What is UR rate of success? There are so many others who luv and want u to be sober so bad that they would gladly change places with you, just to give you a healthily alcohol free life.

If you only knew.....

• Posted

Not heard from u in awhile. How's the cutting down coming along? 

What system are you doing to help cut down ?

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Raymond I've been thru the same situation as u on my 4th withdrawal now from 20units all day from 8oclock in the morning I hate withdrawals they are horrible but u just have to man up and take the punishment for abusing ure body, I'm only on day 3 at the moment but don't seem as bad, u must eat and drink fluids I drink a lot of fruit juice, I've just gotta feel the pain and it will make u know next time u pick up the first drink u will end up here again, I'm never touching another drop!!!

• Posted

I just need to repeat, for the benefit of anybody planning to go cold turkey, it is very dangerous, can even kill. Yes, it is fine to gradually reduce but very very difficult to stick to a withdrawal regime.

You are obviously doing ok James. Well done and I hope you don't mind me alerting people to the dangers.

• Posted

Hi there,I am new to this forum but I would like to know if you think you can wean from alcohol gradually and safely without dt's and convulsions???

Thank you

• Posted

Yes Judy, you can, but most people find it impossible as they start with good intentions, reduce their alcohol intake initially but then it creeps back up again.

The easiest way to reduce is to do it with the drug Nalmefene (Selincro).

In many years of working with people with alcohol problems, I have known none who succeeded in slowly reducing their drinking and then KEEPING it under control long term. I am sure there must be some and there may be someone in this forum who will tell me that they did, but it is harder to do than almost any other method of stopping or reducing your alcohol intake.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response.I am on week one of weaning and have had no problems thus far.I am determined and frankly tired of being a slave to the drink.I guess time will tell.

Thank you

• Posted

Are you on an SSRI?  they can be causing a problem.... also statins for high blood pressure.  They cause alcohol cravings.  i had them for 8 years on Effexor,, and citalopram and zoloft also bad.
    • Posted

Hi Paul, 

Can if pick your brains about withdrawal? A close family member has already done a medicated detox in October after drinking for a few years daily and has been dry for about 4 months until 2 weeks ago : ((( when she had started having up to 2 bottles of wine a day but not every day. 

In terms of detox again are we back to square one, is there the potential for seizures etc and serious withdrawal symptoms are such a short period of drinking again or will a gradual reduction in units per day be appropriate? It's hard to judge whether the effects are as severe once the liver has had such a break? Thanks 

• Posted

The only way to judge, SP84, is by withdrawal symptoms is that person tries to go without a drink. If there are physical withdrawal symptoms, another detox will be needed. If he/she is able to stop drinking without physical withdrawal symptoms, then it may be possible to get away with it. By withdrawal symptoms, I don't mean only craving a drink. I mean shakiness, sweating, agitation etc.

If any of those more serious symptoms are present, he/she should drink something to stop them until a detox can be sorted.

• Posted

*IF that person tries to go without a drink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.