Alcohol withdrawal

Posted , 14 users are following.

I recently visited my doctor and after a number of tests it seems I have a fatty liver and (occasionally) high blood pressure. As a 34 year old man I know this isn't a good sign. I am already taking 10mg Citalopram a day for anxiety and I'm not stupid - I know that the anxiety is probably linked to the booze I drink (between 13-25 units daily in the evening) and I know that if I don't do something about the drink now it will only get worse. I have been a heavy drinker for 15 years. I never drink in the morning and very rarely during the day.

I'm getting little help from my GP in terms of withdrawal decided to cut the amount I am drinking as I know that completely stopping isn't something I am going to do straight away. To do this, I've found a low alcohol beer (1.2 units a can) which means that I'm reducing my units down to 4.8 if I only have 4 cans a night. I know this is still above the recommended daily amount but it's a start. So:

Sunday night: I drank 4.8 units

Last night: I drank 3.6 units

This is dramatically less than I have been.

I managed on this and was able to sleep without any sleeping pills but the problem is that I feel so groggy in the morning - I can't wake up (after 8 hours of sleep) and I feel really 'heady' today. I just find it really hard to get going.

Can anyone give me any ideas has to what is causing this feeling?

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Citalopram, Effexor, both notorious for creating alcohol cravings.   I now read references to it everywhere.  I gave up effexor, suddenly the cravings have gone.....
  • Posted

Oh also, I had poor liver function,Stage 3a kidney disease, high blood pressure, hih cholesterol.  I was drinking one bottle of wine a night.   I gave up the drugs before the drink..  and guess what.. all back o near normal, wasn't alcohol at all, was the drugs..
  • Posted

Hi. I'm new here too and found this really helpful. I wonder if someone could advise on my specific circumstances.

I underwent a detox as an outpatient in may but unfortunately fell off the wagon in august. Stupid I know.

I really want to sort it out but I'm scared. Have been drinking 2 bottles of wine per night. I tried to switch to cider but four cans isn't enough to prevent withdrawal in the form of sweats and severe anxiety.

I have six doses of 2mg diazepam left from may. Will this be enough to get me through the worst of withdrawal or should I try to cut back first? Badly don't want to go back to the docs if I can help it.

• Posted

Hello Lorna. Unfortunately, six doses of 2mg is not enough to help much. You do need to see your doctor again.
    • Posted

Thank you. I think I'll try the old fashioned way of cutting down first. Appreciate your time in replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.