alcohol withdrawls

Posted , 17 users are following.

Do withdrawals get worse every time u try to stop???

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you talking about stopping abruptly or reducing your alcohol intake gradually, James?

I have commented on your post on another thread about the serious danger of sudden alcohol withdrawal.

• Posted

Hi Paul

After folllowing this group, and all of your feedback, I am now realizing just how serious and dangerous it is to just stop drinking... holy geez, I could have died...

I knew that I was in serious trouble tho, I was actually scared that I wouldnt wake up, That my body was desperately begging for a drink to stop the shakes and the fevers...but I was tryna be tough and not give in to another drink, not realizing that I really could have for the sake of my life.

very scary when u come off so drastically ....

wish more ppl would have this site to refer to for help and guidance, alcohol is very hard to quit...

• Posted

I agree so glad I found this site, I tried AA not for me.The dangers I never knew, and all the support it's fantastic.. I will tell any one about this site that has an addiction.

Thank you everyone smile

• Posted

It was day 3 for me when I wa shaking so bad I could hardly hold a coffee, I went to the doctor she put me on lorazapam and warned me what could happen if I drank while on them.So far so good, I do wnat a drink at times, but I have something sweet and or do some exercising it helps alot smile
    • Posted

When I'm was settled in off the WD. Just a few days, I actually started reading . picked a few novels out from my mini library and read . it is a great way to escape . and it takes my mind off the worst parts if always thinking about drinking. For the first 2 months anyway. It really helped me a lot. I'm glad you are OK now. smile

Its over a year since I quit drinking., but I had a little binge at Xmas time that lasted about 2 weeks, and the WD was very scary. . literally. Back on track now and working on my 2nd year. Its the best life I tell ya.

And my daughters love this mommy ...

smile

Much Love smile

• Posted

Yes, it frightens me that so many people don't realise how dangerous it can be. I always try to say it here without taking away from the unbelievable willpower people have had to be able to go cold turkey. I just want people to be forewarned.
    • Posted

I have always detoxed on my own at home. And its worse each time I found. But dear, I never knew I could go to a doctor for help. I really did not. And this last time, I swear, I went to bed crying and extremely scared as if I felt like I was dying, and so very scared that I would die in my sleep and not wake up. And those are real feelings. Not just 'poor me' feelings that we feel as guilt. The WD and the pain and the fear is so strong during those times, your body is doing the most unbelievable things, that you really feel as if you might die.

If that isn't enough to scare someone straight, I then I dont know what is .

I will also keep people informed ,

V

Grateful recovering alcoholic!!

• Posted

It is awful that it is not common knowledge that alcohol withdrawal is more dangerous than withdrawal from most drugs including heroin. Another example that the attitude towards people who drink excessively is appalling.
    • Posted

Paul I'm now drinking all day and night. I ended up in the er last for two days. I now have a prescription for librium 10mg and 3 ativan. Any advise.
    • Posted

I71207. Were you not given any directions as to how to take them? I am surprised you were given BOTH Ativan and Librium. Do you mean that you were given a prescription for ONE Librium 10mg capsule and THREE Ativan pills?
    • Posted

No 20 10mg of librium and I had leftover 3 ativan. But yes perscribed
    • Posted

I'm just drinking tonight and want to know when I should start the librium and ativan for nausea and withdrawal
    • Posted

I know you can't give medical advice but I just can't seem to find on line when I should start with the librium after drinking
    • Posted

I can't really advise as I know nothing of your medical history and current status and we always do a full medical assessment on our clients before we will even agree to a detox at home. I am surprised that you haven't been given more instructions as to how they expected you to use these pills. I imagine they expect you to use them 'as required' after stopping drinking so, basically, taking them to stop any withdrawal symptoms that start.

We do things differently, starting people on a high dose four hourly and reducing them over a week but we give them 80 Librium pills (most don't use all) to ensure they have enough.

• Posted

I will assume that the doctor who prescribed the Librium did so after fully checking you over. The only thing I can say is that you should not drink with the Librium and that you should stop drinking and take your first dose as soon as withdrawal symptoms start. I can't tell you what dose to take.

Sorry to be so vague, I just can't go giving out medical advice to people I haven't met because it would be irresponsible and could come back and bite me if my advice turned out to be bad advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.