alcohol withdrawls

Posted , 17 users are following.

Do withdrawals get worse every time u try to stop???

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry they have just kicked in, but don't seem as bad a little worried they might get worse I'm stopping abruptly but have done it before nd was fine just sweats and restlessness? On day 3
    • Posted

No always depends on how much of a bashing you've been giving it. I would say by day 3 I alway started to feel better. So be proud try not to worry too much or you'll make it worse. If you're in the UK another day is nearly over! The nights were the worse for me are you sleeping ok.here if you need me x
    • Posted

If you are on Day 3, you are likely to be past the danger period. However, if the withdrawal symptoms become more serious (if you get very shaky) you need to abondon this attempt to stop. If you do get through it ok, this time, you must NEVER do this again. Because you have done it before and haven't died doesn't mean you won't die the next time. I can't emphasise this strongly enough. You either need to reduce slowly or go through alcohol detox with medical help.
    • Posted

wow, the word DIE is a scary one in terms of alcohol withdrawl, i am a very lucky woman then, because I did not know I could go to a doctor and and ask for help to stop drinking, so I did it at home on my own , and it was scary cuz I really thought I would die , its very scary what your body goes thru.
  • Posted

In my case, and in the most cases I read or hear about, it does James.

In my own personal case, every time I stopt, and started again, I drunk more than ever before.

Succes in your search James, if you have any questuions, please, bring them up, thats why we all are here, to help ourself and others.

Good evening.

Escar

• Posted

I forgot to ad the dt's do aswell

• Posted

hi James i'm a recovering alcoholic- i'm sober since 2005-the three years prior to getting sober i was a binge drinker- i would drink for 2-5 days then stop- i have been medicaly de-toxed and have done it myself many times- generally i found the severity of the wd's would depend on how long it was between binges-the longer the time between binges the worse the wd's and also it would depend on how much i drank and for how long i drank for-generally it would take me at least 7 days to recover from a binge-the first 2-3 days would be the worst- i have had the DT's on several occasions-that can be pretty scary- i used to see spiders quite often (no idea why) the shakes would last about 3 days and i wouldnt sleep for about 4-5 days-just shake and sweat-drink gallons of water-when i gor medical help - i found librium the best drug for helping with the wd's and also used xanax- my biggest problem was the feelings of guilt- this was horrendous - i found the best cure was not to drink in the first place-i just got sick of the WD's and all the mental turmoil that went with it- i dont think i could go through this ever again- my advice - get medical help- far safer and makes it easier on the body- best of luck james- i know what your going through-
    • Posted

A lot of people talk about DTs when they mean shakes. What you are saying pmcg DOES sound like real DTs. Hallucinations (like seeing spiders) and other psychotic symptoms. DTs are what can lead to death, it is a serious physical reaction which can turn to seizures and respiratory arrest.
    • Posted

Hi Paul - yea i'm talking about DT's not the shakes- i shook every morning until i drank- the DT's are another ball game-not fun and yea, they can be dangerous- i had them on 4 occasions twice when being medically de-toxed and twice when de-toxing myself- i wouldnt do it again- it wipes you out for days-
  • Posted

Had medical help twice got librium but drank on them docs won't give me another, the wds honest don't seem as bad this time, I take 200mls of trazadone at night, this last binge wasn't as long or I wasn't drinking as much as last months had night sweats last night and nd a nightmare but feel like I'm used to the withdrawals now don't get me wrong they are horrendous nd never going thru them again guess I'm hoping they won't be as severe this time, last time I was a lot worse by this stage?
  • Posted

Had a hospital detox too but they said is was just acute withdrawal nd basically said I wasn't that bad only stayed in one night gave me vits and a few librium but said I wasnt getting or would get DTS just stop drinking I'm starting full time rehab soon I think and have a councillor...
  • Posted

Never been a good sleeper even with drink dreading tonight a bit now!

Think I'm a bit over confident thinking I'll be okay!!

• Posted

Hard for me to comment too much as I have never done this before, I'm def feeling the lows of not drinking and feel exhausted and very tired, I've had a couple of glasses tonight (would normally be 2 bottles by now) however this sight is amazing, listen to the advice, talk to people when you are down as the lovely Escar says you are never alone 😘
  • Posted

James I found the 12 time release gravol helped and helps with my sleeping. After about a hour of taking it  I fall asleep, I have had trouble sleeping for years, and

no medicated feeling the next day smile

• Posted

I might say yes, and no. Usually when you start again you drink A BUNCH. And if you haven't drank in a while and you down a whole bottle of vodka, you are going to have a sh*t hangover and some pretty bad withdrawals.

If you started and had one beer at the bar and realized you were being an idiot and leave, then no. You probably won't get any hangover and no withdrawal.

In other words, depends on how much you drink right before you stop again.

I am not a Dr and am only speaking from experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.