Alcoholic beverages and LS

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All

Does anyone know the effects of alcohol on LS.  (Alcoholic beverages) 

Thanks!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lori- I hv heard others say alcohol bothers them and I believe it goes back to sugar content. I drink very dry Reds - Pinot Noir and Cab Sav. And dry whites- Pinot Grigio and Orvieto, all hv less than 1 gram of sugar per 5 ounce glass. I enjoy it 2-3 times a month. I’ve given up so much more ( bye chocolate), that I will not give up my wine too! Stay away from sweet things like Rum and mixers with Juices! 
  • Posted

Hi Lori

I enjoy a drink- or used too! But I’ve found it dramatically effects my LS. I’m also prone to UTIs and usually will have primary symptoms after alcohol ‘binges’

I’ll always have a flare after drinking especially sweeter drinks such as cider! 

I now save alcohol for high days and holidays but have treatments to hand the day after!

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi, for me, a glass of wine is okay, two is not, three is out of the question. 

We all react differently but the sugars/histamine/sulfites in wine (especially red) can be a major trigger for quite a few with this disease. 

You may find you are better with something like vodka or gin.

• Posted

Well, I'm 75 and have had LS for 12 years.  I drink scotch in moderation (daily) and eat some sugar in a balanced diet...and use Clob as needed.  I'm surviving and don't think any of the other sustaining from stuff matters a wit.

• Posted

Jeri- I have to respectfully disagree with you. LS is an Autoimmune Disease and if we can learn to heal our immune system by abstaining from things that are making it ill ( such as Gluten, Sugar and Dairy), we can avoid other Autoimmune diseases and live healthier lives. I am currently reading Dr Tom O’Bryan’s Book “The Autoimmune Fix”  and he discusses this very thing. Sometimes we do not  see the symptoms as they are internal, but we are getting sicker and sicker and only notice it when the symptoms are external. 

We owe it to ourselves to fain as much information as possible to combat LS amd all other ailments. 

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I appreciate you ideas as far as what we put into our bodies, however I do not and have not been convinced this is an autoimunne disease. There is a lot of scepticism about whether it is or not. And the more I read, the facts show that it's not. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Kind Regards,

Marnie

• Posted

Marnie- I know there is alot of discssion on this topic, this is from  the NCBI states “Lichen sclerosus (LS) is a chronic progressive inflammatory autoimmune-induced disease that primarily affects the epidermis and dermis of the external genital-anal region. ”

I know there will always be differences of opinion but I appreciate everyone sharing what they have found. 

• Posted

Marnie hello ~ can you be a bit more helpful with your "throwing things out there", please?

What are the dates of the articles that you found that suggest the LS is not autoimmune? i.e. how OLD are the articles that you have found? 

Can you give us a link to WHICH articles are skeptical?  For me, the most I ever found were articles that said they weren't sure - that is a far cry from the derogatory "skeptical" term that you used. 

Does your convinced position deny the FACT of the article that I found from 2012? that I have posted numerous times?  Oh, but Maybe you haven't seen my write up yet. You might like to take a read of this: 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pathway-into-and-out-of-autoimmune-diseases--661033

item no 4.    The cause of Lichen sclerosus was defined as a “mystery” on many medical websites, with the note that it “may” be associated with “overactive immune system” and “hormonal imbalances. Lichen sclerosus (LS) is strongly associated with autoimmune disorders, particularly thyroid disease, in almost 30% of LS patients. (3) (4).  However, As of March 2012 Lichen sclerosus has been confirmed to be an autoimmune disease as reported in a National Institute of Health pubmed document. (1)* see entire  NIH doc at end. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed ;

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.