alcoholism

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi i am new 2 this forum, and have a question, it might be a naive 1 as i am 49. I can drink a 70cl bottle of voddie a day and sometimes more and not get drunk mixed with small measures  of coke i'e half pint glad 3/4 voddie and 1/4 coke. I am not sure if i am an alcoholic or not!! i drink 5out of 7 days, but have no withdraw symptons. I am not looking for a well done for this i am seriously looking for advice as if i have money it goes on drink. I don't get hangovers, shakes sweats etc. Am worried to even go and have tests to see the damage as i know that no one could drink the vodka at the strength i do, and kidded myself that because i cannot drink it straight means i am not an alcoholic. Please anyone with any advice etc would be kindly accepted thank you.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So stayed off it for a few days, then just lapsed, hate this demon, hate my life 2bh, when in doubt'sad or feel useless lets buy a bot of voddie!! been a carp week and ty all for being there, but you know how it is, when u in that zone u will listen, but canae take it in and make excuses the next day, I am  like all when down and have the bottle in tow u put your most amazing and depressing music on, that's me 2nite, and b4 anyone wants 2 be sarchastic, no not a plea for attention, well is but not in the way u mean, i have logged on to not get obliterated by morning. God hate this illness :-(

• Posted

Don't beat yourself up over it, worst thing you can do. We've all been there at times, you're certainly not alone. Don't give up and DONT dwell on yesterday. I know it's hard, but try and look forward not back. Keep posting, you won't get any sarcastic comments, just advice from people who know exactly how you're feeling, and who can empathise with you.

• Posted

But have we all not been there and done just the same.  It stinks. 

You are honest and open about it so it is a case of - put that day behind you and jump back on the ride of your life.

Don't give up bud.....................G.

• Posted

Hi guys i know been missing in action, still drinking hard but had docs last week and was getting a rash on my arms like bites thought was bites, have been informed could be lupus and also sort of same my kidneys failing as had my ankles swelling like elephants feet, i know the alcohol is a main problem, and my tollerance is getting low. I have tried, please not think i not been on because of being totally obliterated not been on because now worried and now is my family :-( ty 4 the personal messages means a lot. i feel so deflated as have let myself down, will keep u updated go for full blood tests on wednesday then back following week to doc. Hope not worried anyone still alive xxx 
    • Posted

Have you asked for the many drugs available to help block the cravings. 

These are many do a search on this forum.

it's like your brain needs to become untrained the opiate receptors.Thats the purpose of meds to block cravings. Once you want to stop for yourself only you can take charge of finding help you know is necessary for you to find a better quality of life. 

Many my blessing to you for the knowledge and decision to cross over for all that is available to get your life and family back.

i have lost my son to alcohol and he has been thru far too much to start here. .every day it breaks my heart we have missed so many family things together. I never know if he is safe . It's stolen my life. 

• Posted

Hi Hope,  did use to take librium, but i not off it enought to detox if i am completely honest, I am so sorry you lost your 2 this awful disease. Sad thing is this disease has only grabbed me in the last few years threw domestic violence and him being imprisoned for nearly taking my life, Before this i had not touched it for years, and that is why i came on and started this post as was thinking i was just drinking to cover stuff, but now it has affected every aspect of my life, my family, my business and most of me. My son was with me on monday when we went to the doc and as we say in Scotland he was greeting beside me bless him, amd it broke my heart. and i am trying i really am. This group i only joine maybe 2 months ago and Missy and a few others have been amazing, but like everything it has 2 be me that stops myself from killing myself xx 
  • Posted

HI Louisa,

I wonder what else I can say? I always try to tell my sons story how alcohol stole his life. He is so bad and dying from Alcohol addiction at only 38 yrs old. I have tried everything. He is like you the only one who can make the decision to get the help needed to get your lives back. 

Libruim is is not a med for me . My son has almost died twice and someone tried to kill him it's not a pretty story. No one wants to live in as much pain and suffer the way Alcohol use abuse disorder takes lives. 

Siciety and and families do not understand this is a brain disease. The brain craving, can you search on this forum all the meds available and go to your dr for treatment. 

• Posted

I have Hope, but due to other health problems i have 2 be careful, and until i get my bloods done on the 3rd and results a week later i have been told to wait. I know most that comment on here are professionals but every singular person and their situations are different. I am sorry that you are suffering as my son is with me, but i want to wait until i know where i stand physically as i am sure u will understand, I have been drinking all night and just doing my breakfast and will make sure my business if i can does not suffer. xx
    • Posted

Ok uk... There is a lot of the same help there! Right? 

See the first 2 posts at top of this discussion . Lots of resources in the UK.

CEurope Joanna & patient uk.

• Posted

I just want to say as much as i hit the voddie 1 thing i am also regimental about is my food and diet, i make sure i still eat at least twice a day. x
    • Posted

Hi there, that is good to keep on eating - I honestly believe that is why I am still on this earth.  My drinking of 40 years started when first married and we could not afford to go out - so hubs brewed his own beer.  40 years later I can buy what I want.  I have cut it so much down from 2 bottles to a glass a night but am desperate for sleep and am a zombie by day (handy for Halloween lol).  But I just know I am going to weaken, starting to at weekend and I can feel it creeping up on me. But I truly don't want it to.  I too am scared, I am scared of how my hubs will cope without me.  I think he will die of a broken heart, literally.  I fell out with my brother a few years ago and we are the only survivors in our family.  Mum n Dad gone, sister at 52 due to perforated ulcer brought on by alcohol - she was an all day drinker. 

I and my brother patched things up and he told me about his ailments, he looked old and it made me sad.  He said I looked really well - he has no idea of my problem.

When he had left, my thoughts were, he will be devastated to lose me and he will be left.  I keep thinking of my hubs and brother and I am more concerned  on the effects on them if alcohol gets me.

How can drinking do this to a person - to literally be holding a knife to your throat when you pick up that glass.  I hate it with a vengeance and wish we had never brewed home made beer.

All we can do is keep fighting for our lives. 

You are not alone hun and it stinks.

Best wishes and hugs......................G.

• Posted

HI Gwen..What a story and honest too! Just stop is what I suggest..Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.