All's well after TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had a TKR on my right knee just before Christmas - so I'm now eight weeks post op.

I used to browse these sites before the operation and most of the posts I found were negative and led me to wonder whether I was making the right decision.  So I thought I should post something myself to let others know that it's not always doom and gloom and perhaps I can put some minds at rest.

Yes the first few weeks were painful, I had a lot of bruising and didn't get much sleep; but since then my recovery has gone very well.  I stopped using crutches at the end of week three and have now ceased all pain meds.  My range of movement on the operated leg is almost as good as the other one and pain is minimal.

I've worked hard at it though - exercises four times a day and an hour at a knee replacement exercise group run by physiotherapists once a week.  I ice and elevate regularly and rest as much as possible - it's important to get a balance between work and rest as both are important.  I shall continue to do this for many months yet as healing takes up to a year.

I still have that tight band feeling around my knee but I try to ignore it and I'm sure it will go away eventually; it doesn't stop me from doing anything and I'm now back to around 10000 steps on my Fitbit most days and intend to start back to Pilates classes next week.

So if you're about to have this operation think positive.  The stats show that there are far more successes than failures and there's every chance you'll be one of the lucky ones, even if it takes a bit longer.

Wishing everyone out there all the best.

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Totally agree Mary,best thing I did getting my TKR no more arthritis pain I’m now back at work took 16 weeks off for recovery playing full rounds of golf I feel like I’ve got my life back, I need my right knee replacing as well at the end of the year and I have no reservations about getting it done.
  • Posted

Thank you Mary.

?It is good to hear happier stories and outcomes that are as we all hope. You give me inspiration to get my other knee done. I had a partial last June 2017 and although at 8 months it still gives me some pain when walking for a while it is considerably better than it was and also much better than my other knee. It is all about taking control of your recovery and exercising. I will see here though that there are people who are more unfortunate than us and it just isn't straight forward. We have been lucky (albeit you make your own luck most of the time)

• Posted

Hi Mary I'm 5 months post op now and I didn't look at any sites about TKRs before I had the op I only started looking when my expectations weren't being met. I thought I would be fully recovered in 8 weeks I laugh about it now and have excepted that it will take a year to have a full recovery. 

People ask me if I'm glad that I've had it done I say ask me in 7 months. I am glad the arthritis pain has gone but I still have pain on bending the knee which has been my biggest problem. I can't cycle outside yet which was one of my hobbies before the op. I am confident that this will come overtime.

Ive got a Fitbit now and they are great, I make myself walk 10000 steps a day which I can achieve easily I couldn't do that before. 

so on reflection if people are reading this and are thinking about going through with it. If your pain is making you miserable and is affecting your quality of life have the operation but go in with no expectations of how long your recovery will take. It varies immensely, you could be lucky and recover in a couple of months or you could be one of the very unfortunate ones who have had lots of problems and are still recovering. Just remember there are going to more people on tense sites that are the latter because they are looking for answers x

• Posted

Hi Mary.

I can so relate. I went on this site beforehand and it scared me so much I nearly canceled the op!

However it was nowhere near as bad as I feared. I think I had expected the worse when it came to pain and I can honestly say even straight after it was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. The nurses were brilliant and kept on top of it at all times.

I'm 2.5 weeks post op and I'm glad I had it done. Yes it can be painful especially when doing exercises but the painkillers and ice really help. I achieved 3000 steps yesterday which I was really pleased with.

I need the other knee doing, but I have no worries about going ahead with it now.

Positively and perseverance count for a lot. In the long term it's the right decision to go ahead.

To all that are due to have the surgery, you will be fine. You can do it,!

Good luck to you all. X

• Posted

I think my experience pre op was that I did a lot of research by reading about things, and was prepared for a rough time, but at the same time decided not to expect it, if that makes any sense. That worked well for me! I didn't read this forum as i had not found it but read a fair bit in one called bonesmart. I found this one a few weeks post op.

• Posted

I didn’t find the negativity on the site,I found people were looking for answers on the recovery trail and the help I found of other TKR patients was so helpful and got you over little set backs as you realised it wasn’t a set back but part of a process of healing people like snoozy who had the TKR more or less the same time as me has helped and Chico and old fat guy have shared great info on the subject,no newbie knows what’s coming and reading what others  have been through it certainly gives you a lift.My surgeon told me if I don’t get the knee replacement I would end up in a wheelchair and that’s all I needed to hear,I’ve now feel like I’ve got my life back.
    • Posted

I agree Brent. Without the experience, insights and wonderful advice of the people on this site, recovery would have been a long and lonely journey made blindly. However it is good to hear positive experiences too. 

As in all things in life we need a balance of both😊

• Posted

Please don't get me wrong, the support and advice has been a godsend and I appreciate each and every one of you.

Beforehand it just made me nervous at what to expect.

Without you all I couldn't have got through it. Just wanting people who are thinking of having the surgery not to be scared and to read all the positive outcomes too. X

• Posted

Yes, indeed, It is so helpful to hear from folk who have been through the same operation! In those earlt weeks and months especially, lets face it, we are all thrown completely out of our depth! I found it so helpful i decided to invest some time in hanging around here rather than spend time on facebook because it seems a better use of time. It's a lovely way to offer something good to people after the very real trials and tribulations involved!

• Posted

Yes, you are right, pre surgery it is easy to be put off! Yet one way of keeping good balance is for people to continue to pop by from time to time in the later months and update on the positive effects on their lives, because one of the difficulties with the early months is they are quite a challenge!
  • Posted

Thank you 
    • Posted

I personally haven’t found the site to be negative but to be very helpful and informative. But appreciate each to our own.

I have read all different advise which has spurred me on when I have felt stuck. So nice to hear how well you are doing. 

Keep up the good work. 

• Posted

The biggest mistake I made for me personally was starting to watch the op on yountube pre op. I turned it off. Have watched it now and I’m fine. Personally I was more worried about the spinal. 

Again needlessly. You obviously wasn’t ready for all the info at that time and that is completely natural. I just find it helpful that some of what I’m feeling or experiencing is the same as some of the others. Well done for doing so well. 

• Posted

I hope I haven't given the wrong impression - it was certainly not my intention to put anyone else down.

Of course this site serves a great purpose in giving information and tips and a shoulder to cry on; this was why I started following it in the first place.

However by its very nature it is going to attract people who have had problems with their recovery and I simply wanted to give the other side of the story and encourage people to think positive and not assume that they will also be unfortunate.  My intention was certainly not to gloat as I am very aware that I am fortunate in not having the problems that so many others have had.

Wishing everyone all the best.

• Posted

Its all good Mary love,I knew what you were trying to get a cross,no one would ever think you were putting anyone down or anything like that,the TKR club a small but well intentioned set of people who only wish a speedy and full recovery to its patients. All’s good 
    • Posted

Its true what you say about the early difficulties possibly skewing perspectives, and I guess that is something to be aware of. Your post highlights this, so it's great you posted it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.