All's well after TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had a TKR on my right knee just before Christmas - so I'm now eight weeks post op.

I used to browse these sites before the operation and most of the posts I found were negative and led me to wonder whether I was making the right decision.  So I thought I should post something myself to let others know that it's not always doom and gloom and perhaps I can put some minds at rest.

Yes the first few weeks were painful, I had a lot of bruising and didn't get much sleep; but since then my recovery has gone very well.  I stopped using crutches at the end of week three and have now ceased all pain meds.  My range of movement on the operated leg is almost as good as the other one and pain is minimal.

I've worked hard at it though - exercises four times a day and an hour at a knee replacement exercise group run by physiotherapists once a week.  I ice and elevate regularly and rest as much as possible - it's important to get a balance between work and rest as both are important.  I shall continue to do this for many months yet as healing takes up to a year.

I still have that tight band feeling around my knee but I try to ignore it and I'm sure it will go away eventually; it doesn't stop me from doing anything and I'm now back to around 10000 steps on my Fitbit most days and intend to start back to Pilates classes next week.

So if you're about to have this operation think positive.  The stats show that there are far more successes than failures and there's every chance you'll be one of the lucky ones, even if it takes a bit longer.

Wishing everyone out there all the best.

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi - fabulous positive posts.

I had first knee replaced 2009 and second 2010 and although the hard work starts then the outcome is fantastic.

Give yourself a year of recovery in terms of building muscle and strength. Learning to be patient (yep it is frustrating), pays  dividends in the long run. Take advantage of TKR exercise clinics and the physios expertise and progress will happen.  Also although a right pain (no pun intended), I did the bed exercises the hospital physio gave me for a long time after the op along with the standing exercises and I know they were a great help too.

Recently my first knee TKR has been swollen but I feel it may be because I had a virus as I was laid up for a few days and now I am out walking for 30 minutes a day it feels better, however I am aware the hip on that side is possibly to blame too - we will see.

Don't get down hearted.  Don't be afraid to have the op.  It will be the most positive thing ever........but just go at your own pace after it and you will get there.

• Posted

I have found when people relate their experiences of TKR on this forum, they may be worried, unsure and suffering the effects of such serious surgery. Mostly, they are hoping for reassurance from the experience of others.

From what l have read and been given at a time of need, this site is exceptional. 

The generous advice has enabled me to progress physically and mentally, an experience l am extremely grateful for.

• Posted

I wish I had the same results as you Mary. I think if I was prepared better I wouldn’t be so depressed about it. I am 4 months out and still have 3- 4 CM of swelling everyday, pain and stiffness everyday. I do PT 3 times a week and my home exercises twice a day through all the pain
    • Posted

I’m really sorry to hear that MarieMichelle. I know I’ve been lucky but there are lots of people on here who can empathise with you and offer advice.  Hopefully you will feel it has all been worth while in time.  Good luck!
  • Posted

I had TKR in September and yesterday I walked 11 miles. Today my knee is a little stiff but I will rest and ice it. A month ago I was thinking things would never improve but now they are very gradually. You need a bucket of patience for this journey.....
    • Posted

My TKR was in September and I do at least 10000 steps a day. Today I have done walking netball, and have walked my little dog so I'm up to 10000 steps already and it's only just gone lunch time. I need to ice and elevate now mind you and I still have to completely relax all my muscles before I can bend the thing, but I hope this will improve over time 

• Posted

Well said Mary! I am 8 weeks yesterday too & also doing great! 

In fact I can feel my whole mood changing, after years of arthritis I am now pain free & I feel better in myself than I have for years!! Obvs the operated knee gives a bit of gyp once in a while, but on the whole it's a thumbs up!!

Unfortunately TKR can for some BE a very negative experience & those people come on here to seek advice or just to vent to those if us who understand! It really is part of why we all log in to this site, to seek assurance that something horrible hasn't happened! We all need a little support sometimes.

But you are right it can become negative, so your positive story is welcomed by us all.

So pleased how well you're doing.

Keep up the good work 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn. That was exactly what I hoped to achieve and give a little balance to the discussion. 

Pleased to hear you are doing well too!

xx

• Posted

I think it would benefit us all to hear Chico’s opinion on what is meant by ‘balance’ in relation to this discussion. 

• Posted

You have achieved balance Mary. You are doing well. 

I’m quite chuffed with myself today I’m 5.5 weeks post op drive around the village for first time to the sea front. And then drum roll pleased walked 1000 steps with crutches but I still did it. I’m so pleased. I had TKR and Osteotomy so feel I’ve had a little bit of an achievement today.  

I enjoy reading everyone’s posts. Thank you 

• Posted

The main thing is the thrill of being able to walk...I remember many country walks with two crutches...was able to walk faster than before surgery and that's exhilirating! It sets you up really well in terms of the way your body moves. Literally getting into the swing of things.

Good healing to you and keep up the good work!

• Posted

Thank you it was lovely I wouldn’t have been able to do it before x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.