allergic inflammatory rhinitis and SS

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am recently diagnosed SS positive after lost senses of smell and taste, bad post nasal drip, back tooth pain and dry mouth for 4 months. I don't have much of dry eyes though yet.

This all started last May after my dentist messes up a crown job. I had treatments with 3 more dentists to fix the problem, but ended up pulled the tooth. All these may have weaken my immune system.

Last Christmas I had Measal shot and antibiotics to treat sinuses problem . I lost sense of smell and taste right way. The past 3 months I have been dealing with symptoms I first thought were sinuses infection or allergies, but tests came back negative.

Finally my primary doctor ordered blood test for SS and it came back positive.

I experience very dry mouth, worse at night, company with bad post nasal drip some time.

I love to cook and eat, lost of smell and taste make my life like hell!

Want to know if anyone has same symptoms and if you get smell and taste back.

Best regards

Linda

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Linda,  One thing I have learned about SS is that it causes GORD [or GERD in the US]  Gastro Oesophageal reflux disease because there isn't enough saliva to dilute the stomach acid & this in turn triggers post nasal drip, according to my GP.  

I take Gaviscon Advance before going to bed which helps & also take Ranitidine if necessary.  I refuse to take PPIs [Proton Pump Inhibitors] but you might decide to take them.

I was originally prescribed Gaviscon Advance 4 times a day & PPIs for 3 months.  This helped a lot but then I started to read!  I now take Gaviscon before bed & Ranitidine when necessary.

The ENT Doctor who saw me, told me to cut out:

Chocolate

Caffeine

Tomatoes

Acidic fruit, like oranges

For about 3 months, I cut all of these things out, I don't eat a lot of chocolate, so that didnt worry me.  I drank water only & things improved.  I now mainly drink water but do drink the occasional cup of tea & one cup of espresso a day.  I don't eat the foods like tomatoes after 3pm but still have the Gaviscon at night.

I sip/drink water through the night which helps & suck a sugar free polo mint if my mouth is unbearably dry.  My sense of smell & taste are alright.  I didn't lose my sense of smell but I did lose the taste.

https://patient.info/doctor/gastro-oesophageal-reflux-disease

https://patient.info/doctor/sjogrens-syndrome-pro

• Posted

Thanks so much for reply! I would not have connected GERD with PND.

I will cut out coffee, I don't eat chocolate, tomato or orange that much, will talk to my doctor about taking drugs for GERD.

Linda

• Posted

Breads are also huge triggers for GERD, with white bread/rolls/pizza (tomatoes + bread +greasy cheese, etc.) being the worst. Those things & fatty foods should be avoided after 3 p.m. Bell peppers, raw or cooked, are also a huge trigger. I ate them raw almost daily growing up but avoid them completely now.

I changed my diet so I could give up the PPIs because they gave me migraines. Lung doc insists I keep pepcid on hand so I sometimes take that. My preferred treatments for eating Things That Offend the Gods of GERD are from the garden: munch some fresh parsley or basil, or make tea with them. I've only ever made & drunk basil tea, fresh & dried. It's so effective that 5 of us have gotten doc's permission in hospital to drink it after intestinal surgeries, to get things working so doc/nurse can hear the lovely sounds of gas moving thru gut. They won't let you eat food til they hear those sounds & we all want to return to eating food.

Never lost my senses of taste or smell except temporarily due to colds or exposure to too many cleaning chemicals. Lost my hearing due to an IV antibiotic, so perhaps these losses are medicine-related?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.