Allopurinol seems to be making my Gout worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I started Allopuirnol a few weeks back after suffering years of painful Gout. Unfortunatley I seem to be getting worse rather than better.

I started on 100mg then to 300 and still suffering. Seems to me that the more i take the worse it is getting.

If anyone else has suffered taking Allopurinol please let me know

Many Thanks Mark

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Same problem with Allopurinol with the same dose,

Ì'm now on 400mg. The pain floats around from foot to foot, nothing has changed for months.

• Posted

Did they prescribe colchicine with it i just take it alone. Had gout 3 weeks got this and 3 days gone. But I take it every day.
    • Posted

I would rather have the sh*ts. Than the pain. what was your acid level
    • Posted

If you get diarreahea with colchecine the protol to follow is this (I am assuming your tablet is 0.6mg):

a) cut the tablet (they are very small and its not easy);

b) take 1/4 tab every 6 hours for 1 week;

c) at the end of one week increase to 1/2 tab every six hours.

d) one week later take the tablets once every 1 hours.

If at any time you start to get diarreahea stop, take a week off and start again. I have read that most patients will eventually adapt to this, although they may have to go back to a) several times.

• Posted

My understanding is that Allopurinol is likely to trigger an episode, but in doing so will reduce Uric Acid levels and also the the prime cause of gout.

Gout is not always present (more typically episodic) if you are not experiencing periods of relief.

in my case, what was first diagnosed as gout it turned out to be Planter Fasciitis and Metatarsalgia.

Your condition may also need further investigation.

• Posted

The acid levels will determine if it's gout

• Posted

Level low 2.4 on last test still having stabbing attacks during the night and swelling on top of the foot. Next blood test end of June.
    • Posted

No way you have gout norm is 3 to 6. I bet u got some thing else
    • Posted

There is zero point in taking a test during a gout attack as the gout itslef precipitates the monosodium urate out of solution into the joints. I would start to doubt your doctors competance or his or her interest in his patients. All they have to do is read the information which is sent to them by NICE: its not rocket science. Change doctor.
  • Posted

Hi. It can take up to a year to feel the real benefits. You will still get attacks but they will be less painful and be longer apart. I have been on 300mg for a year and a half. Just stick with it. 
    • Posted

Good advice. A year could be pessimistic, but in the worst case you are right. 

One cannot expect to put right what has taken a decade to put wrong.

• Posted

Correction:

One cannot expect to put right OVERNIGHT what has taken a decade to put wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.