Allopurinol seems to be making my Gout worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I started Allopuirnol a few weeks back after suffering years of painful Gout. Unfortunatley I seem to be getting worse rather than better.

I started on 100mg then to 300 and still suffering. Seems to me that the more i take the worse it is getting.

If anyone else has suffered taking Allopurinol please let me know

Many Thanks Mark

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi mark, had same problem myself on Allopurinol, firstly it triggered attack after attack and then i started to have chronic pain in my joints with real stiffness as well. Doc said it was one of the rare side affects so i came off Allopurinol and went on Adenuric, with pretty much the same effects. Joint stiffness and pains in the kidney area. Went back to doc and he says theres nothing else on the market, but carry on with Adenuric. Had blood tests again since on this tablet and waiting for results. Also when i was on Allopurinol i would have gout in my knee then in the morning it would be in my foot as well as my knee and my leg would be bright red from the knee down to the foot which really concerned me, and the pain was like never before, with a really bad fever, absolutely unbearable. I have had a prolapsed disc twice now and i would compare the intensity of pain for gout and a prolapse disc the same. A acute attack or flare up is so painful that nobody understands what you go through, i am literally on 2 crutches and cannot be mobile at all.   
    • Posted

Uloric is another drug. And it's better on your kidneys.

• Posted

Your doctor is wrong. It is not a rare side effect. It is 100% normal. ANY reduction therapy WILL trigger gout, unitl the stores of monosodium urate in the tissues are eliminated. 

If you are getting pain in your kidneys you should seek attention about that.

You should have been prescribed colchecine or similar when you were given the allopurinol. 

I would definately suggest you change your GP to one who pays more attention to the material sent to him by NICE.

• Posted

Allopurinol will make gout worse for several months, and your doctor should have:

a) warned you of this;

b) given you something like colchecine to take as profilaxis. 

The fact that you are getting these attacks shows that it is working and that you need the allopurinol. 

The reason is that the allorpinol will be uncovering stores of monosodium urate crystals in your soft tissues that have been groing for perhaps a decade. As these stores are released it causes gout. Not taking the allopurinol or another form of uric acid reduction will lead to complications, most notably heart disease, stroke and kidney disease. 

The other thing you should do with allopurinol is increase the amount of water you drink to flush out the excess uncovered urates, and to protect your kidneys. 

• Posted

It's not t5hat simple. I take Allupirinol and it works b rilliantly for me, albeit I am not totally pain free. If you forget to take it, or you increase the dosage, you will suffer temprarely. Colchesine will help, but like you I can't take it because of the effect it has on me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.