Almost 11 weeks post op Anterior approach

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been a while since I posted.  Just thought I’d see if anyone else started experiencing a little pain and discomfort after about 9 weeks.  I seemed to be doing really well and now have weakness in my upper thigh and a bit of soreness on my hip itself.  I’m just wondering if this is normal for any others that had these symptoms.  What did you do to make it better.  It almost feels like it did in week 3, even though I’m able to walk without any assistance.  Thought it was all on the upswing, but now I feel like I’m going backwards.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Keith, I have something similar going on. At three months, my hip felt great. No pain. Now at four months, I am again experiencing discomfort and a certain feeling of weakness in my hip. I see the doctor again in a couple of weeks and I will ask him what is going on. It certainly is disappointing when progress stops and then goes backwards! Walking seems to make it worse.

• Posted

Yes it is.  I went back to work after 6 weeks.  Did ok for 3 weeks.  Then took 12 days off.  I’m on the last 2 days now.  This whole break I have had this discomfort.  And, yes the more I walk the more it hurts.  Guess it’s time to check with doc again myself.
  • Posted

Hi Keith 

It’s been a while since I answered a question here but hope this helps. I am almost a year over my hip replacement! I remember when I went back to work after 11 weeks I thought I was doing great but then I had a lot of discomfort and some pain in my thigh and hip for a few months! I then saw my consultant for my 6 month check up and mentioned this to him. He said it was completely normal and most people take nearly a year for the healing process to completely finish! I literally after the 6 months started to forget about it and since I work a really physical job I am delighted to say that I am back to normal. So do talk to your doctor but it does take time and it will get better! Continue with exercise as this is so important and will help the healing! Hope this helps

• Posted

So are you saying that at 11 weeks your pain was diminished, but then it got worse again? And after six months the pain started to recede again? I think Keith and I are concerned because we were feeling good and then pain came back. Why would that happen?
    • Posted

Hi Anne, 

Debine put it so much better that I did! 

The pain goes but as you get back to normal activities, the healing process kicks in at a deeper level! It was major surgery and it takes time to heal! The pain and soreness are at different levels and it took me a long time to understand that! I thought I had done damage to my hip after going back to work! I even took some pain killers for first few weeks but as the hip got stronger and the muscles started to loosen up And heal it started to get less and less like pain! 

Even now over the Christmas period when I really put the new hip to the test with my job, I had days of slight pain and had to step back and slow down and rest a bit. 

My consultant told me at least a year before I healed properly 

Again as I said before do check with the docs but it will take time. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not beginning to fall apart! It is just frustrating that the exercise I enjoy the most, walking the dogs, is the most painful part of the day. For a few blissful weeks I was pain free and it felt so good. So I was dismayed when it became very uncomfortable again.

• Posted

I am 3 days shy of my 8 month mark, and I have had many of the same ups and downs. My surgeon said it's perfectly normal. The first wave of being pain free is real because you're no longer experiencing the pain of the bad hip. Then you start being more active and you start testing your limits and stretching muscles in different ways. Part of the return of pain is simply the fact that you were cut open to the bone and all of that had to be stitched back together again. It takes time for that to heal. When you move more and move differently, twinges and pains are the body's response. My surgeon said it can take a year to 18 months for all of the hidden places to heal. Makes sense to me, so my current aches no longer make me panic. I do have a good chiropractor and acupuncturist who both help me greatly when the pains come. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you Debina and Stargate fan for your encouraging and informative posts! I am 12 weeks post TRHR and having much pain in my hips and groin. Having been pain free immediately after the surgery, it was so disheartening to have pain again after several weeks. Your explanation as to why we feel pain again weeks later is very reassuring!

I could not figure out if it was because of exercise or lack of. Some things happened where I stopped doing my physical therapy exercises every day, however I was doing a lot of general walking and being physically active outside, sweeping, bending, squatting, etc., so I told myself that was exercise and not to feel guilty not doing the specific PT exercises, but I did wonder if not doing the specific exercises was what was causing the pain. Anyway, I'm back doing the PT exercises again and trying to strengthen those muscles, and thanks to your informative posts, I am reassured that the pain is normal.

Happy new year everyone!

• Posted

Hi Betty, don't know if you remember me? We had our TKRs done at the same time in July 2014 and used to chat a lot. I see you've now had your hip done and I just wanted to wish you a good recovery. I suppose, like the knee, it takes time and patience - and exercise! I'm getting some trouble with my right hip and knee but am trying to avoid another op if possible. Have been referred to physio again which is helping. 

Sorry to any others on this thread for intruding but I spotted Betty's name as I still get notifications of discussions and wanted to wish her well. I'm interested in you comments on your hips too as I may well need a replacement one day! Good luck to you, Betty and to all of you. 

Jen xx

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, of course I remember you! I was so delighted to see your message!! I can't believe its been four years since our TKR's and communications. We really had a great group on the forum, didn't we? It would be fun to have a reunion of sorts!

I'm going on five months since my hip replacement and doing well. A world of difference after having bone on bone pain! I'm sure I will probably have to have my other knee and hip replaced one day, but hope not too soon!

I would love to keep in touch with you ~ do you know how to get each other's email address to do so?

Its probably very simple and I will try and figure out how to get my email address to you.

Thanks for posting and hope to talk again soon!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, if you click on the little envelope next to Jennifer’s name, you can send a private message and swap email addresses. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you Judith, I figured it out right after I responded on this post rolleyes

How are you doing?? I don't receive many notifications from this forum anymore. Are people no longer posting or am I just not getting them regularly anymore??

Hope you are coming along well in your THR journey!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I’m fine thank you. I’m lucky, I had a very straightforward recovery. Had my right hip relaxed in July 2016, so a while ago now. I hope you are doing well.

Re this hip forum, I think there are about 4 or 5 new discussions a day but it varies. 

I hope you are feeling well now, and able to do more,

All the best,

Judith 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.