Alternative

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis 4weeks ago, by my gynaecologist and prescribed Dermovate.  This made everything much worse, and I wasn't happy about using steroids.  I have been doing lots of research on this horrible condition, and have decided to use alternative/natural healing.  I also have Lichen Planus in the mouth, which comes and goes and have had that for the past 30 years.  Both these disorders are primarily brought on by stress, your immune system weakens and a myriad of random symptoms can occur.  I firstly am tackling my diet, cutting out dairy, sugar, gluten caffeine and yeast.  I am applying Emu Oil, three times a day inside and out.  The supplements I am taking are L-lysine, kava kava  and a very good probiotic.  I am using yes products for lubricants.  I feel at least that I am working toward building my immune system, to control and hopefully 'put to bed' this condition.   my pharmacist has also given a probiotic which is inserted into the vagina.  Which is used to normalise and put back good bacteria.

hope this helps

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just discovered an article about the effect on vulvar chronic irritation possibly due to bleached toilet paper.  Go to ____.(link broken)  Canadian Physician.  Look for cheaper paper that is greyish and is unbleached.  Also doesn't have formaldehyde.  I am going to throw out my toilet paper immediately and find another kind.  Toilet paper companies don't want to give ingredients.

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion (broken, unrecoverable) within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Formaldehyde?! That wouldn't be good in the septic tank, never mind on my parts. Geez. I found the article, or a closely related one.

'Formaldehyde and its reactive derivatives are used in the paper industry to improve the wet-strength and other “valued” characteristics of paper and paper products. For example, shiny, heavy, white examining-table paper is much more likely to contain formaldehyde than thinner, less expensive, duller, and more fragile types of paper.9 The same could be said for toilet paper; the thick, absorptive, strong, bleached, and expensive brands are more likely to contain formaldehyde than the thinner, cheap, “grayish” brands.'

I tend to prefer the 'green' brands, whatever that means, but now I'll look for the really cheap-looking stuff. Thanks, Carol.

• Posted

Hi Ann,

We all have different experiences with LS.  I have read some women say that the steroids sting when they have a yeast type infection but do not when they are clear.  I just thought it might be worth telling you this point.  Myself personally I find the dermovate is a life saver.  I use it now every third day.  I use copius amounts of Epaderm between keeping everything moisturised but not wet and definately no contact with urine.  Thorough clean up every visit and remoisturise to help protect the next visit.  It works.  If I am in a hurry and get a bit lazy with this routine I get a mild flare up.  I treat as soon as this occurs and carry on as before and things calm down again.  If I need to I will treat daily until it calms down.  Works for me. I am so sorry you have joined our ranks.  It is a horrible thing to have.  At least we can moan to each other.  Good luck finding your best treatment.  I hope the routine you have devised works for you. 

• Posted

Alright Ann,

i've used dermovate for about the last 3 months, coupled with dermol. had some devasting results.  what i can only describe as like 2nd degree burns to my entire undercarriage.  The dermovate did take away my 'active' lichen though.  my gynea was horrified when i went back, prescibing 3 new products.  it was like treating a burn with a blow torch.  i had to go back to my quack for lower dose steroids...and im still apprehensive about using anything...but your healthy skin needs to stay moisturised while you keep your 'wet bits' dry (sorry to sound crude).  Trial & error in trepidation - its a balancing act.  you can never be too careful, but no matter what we do, we're women, human, hormonally and naturally governed by the moon & sun and our individuality and our own circumstances affect us - and this - despite even our best endeavours to overcome it, it will never go away and will inevitably on occasion affect us.  i wish you good luck in your endeavous though.  keep us posted xxx

(but i'm not changing me, my diet or my lifestyle for it or because of it)

• Posted

Thank you all for your stories, I think we can all gain from bits of advice from each and every one!

like the one about not changing diet etc... glass of wine would go down a treat!

thanks again and keep us posted! 

• Posted

Bang-on, Ann and Hotlips (great name for here!) – I've given up sex and chocolate and I eat very healthy food, very little meat, local, small farm-raised, etc., etc. I'm having my two cups of coffee and ten ounces of red wine. Not that I'm suggesting that's all there is to live for, but there's a line...

What I couldn't stand to give up is growing flowers in my garden. Then you'd have to shoot me.

• Posted

Great plan....!

So pleased to hear about the efforts you're making towards addressing this 'damp heat' (chinese pespective) in your body. I'm with you all the way and trying to follow a similiar regime myself. I'd love to keep in touch and to hear of your progress. How is your thyroid by the way? 

Very best wishes

marey x

• Posted

Actually going to have Acupunture this week, actually agree with you about the damp heat thing.. Let you know how it goes

annie x

• Posted

That's great...enjoy! Ask about coptidis rhizoma if the practioner includes herbs. Be interesting to hear their point of view.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.