alternative blood thinners to warfarin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am about to speak to my GP and Cardiologist about having one of the alternative blood thinners as because of an underlying problem with my bladder I am often on Prophylactic antibiotics and they do not interact well with the warfarin, making it difficult for them to get my INR correct. can any of you on any of the alternatives let me know how you are on them, any any side effects related to them, don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!!! the good thing for me would be I understand they do not interact with other medication, the 3 I have found that are available are Dabigatran, Rivaroxaban and Apixaban.

Hope you are all relatively well.

L.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Took Pradaxa but had a kidney stone with lots of bleeding..thought maybe blood thinner made it worse ..before that okey. Now on eliquis..mild bruising once in a while but other than that don't seem to have side effects .been told less bleeding with that drug.
  • Posted

Yes, get the hell off the antibiotics.  That will do the trick.
    • Posted

wouldn't it just, but unfortunately I have had chronic bladder disease for over 20 years, I would give my right arm never to swallow another antibiotic. if only.
    • Posted

The antibiotics are probably making it worse as the destruction of the gut bacteria will reduce the functioning of the immune system. It is a vicious circle. If you are having fluoroquinolone antibiotics you are putting your health and well being at serious risk. Maybe you should look into alternatives to allopathic medicine.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I have taken Rivaroxaban but this caused a bleed so Doctor stopped it immediately, I have now been taking Apixaban for 7 months and have had no problems. You should have a blood test to check all is well after approx 1 month and then either 6 (monthly or yearly) depending on which Doctor you are seeing!!

M.

• Posted

thanks Macas and Madge, for your replies, so far it would seem Apixaban is the way to go will have to see what the docs say.

I know Madge the antibiotics are not good, and as I suffer with autoimmune disease anyway its difficult, you keep hearing from NHS that GP's should not give them out unless absolutely necessary, and yet they give them to me like smarties. I think my immune system is intolerant of the warfarin as it is to many meds especially analgesics 

but when you get diagnosed with AF they do the same for everyone without taking your past health history into consideration.

Thank you both

L.

• Posted

Hi. Ive been on Rivaroxaban 20mg/day since nov 2015. First week was rough - deep fatigue but came out of it fairly quickly. Few joint aches but aside from that been ok.
  • Posted

Was on  Apixaban for 15 months prior to the ablation that I had last week. Had to change to warfarin for several weeks prior to the procedure because of its reversibility in the event of an emergency.

i found it really tricky maintaining the acceptable range of warfarin in my system (was. Bouncing all over the place!)

Am really pleased to be back on Apixaban post procedure - so much easier.

However, my 84 year father-in - law doesn't like apixaban, he claim it makes him feel 'fuzzy' and 'dizzy'.

So I gues its not to everyone's liking, but I love it compared to warfarin.

(I'm a 50 yo male and 95 kgs)

Hope this is of some help to you?

• Posted

Good piece of information about changing to warfarin . Why did you have the ablation?
    • Posted

Thanks Simon,

I think I am going to ask to be tried on Apixaban,  really am struggling with the warfarin. I have given it a good try I have been on it since August last year, I suppose I can exercise my patient choice, unless of course they give me a good clinical reason why I shouldn't.

Thank you

L.

• Posted

Forgot to say I was put on warfarin when I was experiencing frequent bouts of AF, however since I was treated for an underlying infection that had gone undiagnosed for 3 months once it was treated my AF become much less only having an attack about every 6-8 weeks.

L

• Posted

Hi Betty, had the ablation because I had gone into Afib three times this year and had to be cardioverted each time. 

I was diagnosed with heart failure (a tachycardia induced cardiomyopathy) in Dec 2014. my left ventricle had become severely enlarged & I had  an ejection fraction of only 25 % .

first cardioversion only lasted a couple of days, was then put on amioderone and cardioverted again three weeks later. This worked really well for me. I stayed in rhythm for the next 11 months. My cardiomyopathy cleared up within the first 4-6 weeks, my left ventricle Ejection fraction returned to 58%. (within the normal range ).

All was going great until mid Jan. This year when I went into Afib again got cardioverted back in, and then again mid Feb.  and then AGAIN at the end of Feb (3 times in 6 weeks).

Because of the increasing frequency of cardioversion, it's was suggested that I could be fit from having the ablation. Let's hope they're right.

Time will tell I guess?

• Posted

Seems like everyone has symptoms they FEEL. Did you feel these symptoms. I do not FEEL any symptoms but monitor shows I go in and out. Does anyone not feel it but has it and been ablated?
    • Posted

Linda The Doctor may try to change your ming because Apixaban is expensive but it isn't really if they work out all the blood tests you have when on warfarin, it saves time and money!!! so tell him that.... If you decide you want Apixaban dont be put off.

​You say you have an Autoimmune problem , so do I . I have PMR and was told this could be perhaps the cause of my heart problems!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Mary I will bear that in mind, as at the moment I am having to go every week for INR bloods, as you say must be costing a fortune.

I have Sjogren's Syndrome and Pallindromic Rheumatism, and chronic bladder disease.

L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.