alternative blood thinners to warfarin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am about to speak to my GP and Cardiologist about having one of the alternative blood thinners as because of an underlying problem with my bladder I am often on Prophylactic antibiotics and they do not interact well with the warfarin, making it difficult for them to get my INR correct. can any of you on any of the alternatives let me know how you are on them, any any side effects related to them, don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire!!!! the good thing for me would be I understand they do not interact with other medication, the 3 I have found that are available are Dabigatran, Rivaroxaban and Apixaban.

Hope you are all relatively well.

L.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do feel some of the palps but was very surprised when the Cardiologist said the 24 hour monitor showed there were far more episodes than I had "felt".

I feel o.k and I can walk without any problems..

I take Bisoprolol, flecanide, and apixaban. I hate all this medication but as he explained  It would be much worse if I had a Stroke!!

He did suggest an ablation but so far I have refused, I really don't want to go through that.

Mary

• Posted

I feel that way too but don't know if I am doing the right thing by refusing.I only that Eliquis but see an electrophysicist so thinking maybe I should be on meds which I was afraid to take because of controvery among drs. Now thinking I did the wrong thing,
    • Posted

Hi Mary and Betty,

the palps and AF are the strangest thing affecting everyone in different ways, I have a friend that didn't even know she had it she went to GP with something else he did her blood pressure then an ECG and found her heart racing and she couldn't feel it.

we all have to do what we feel comfortable with. I must say my cardiologist was very honest and went through the pro's and cons of ablation and said he only did them if really necessary he would much prefer to keep people under control with medication if he could.

Linda

• Posted

So now I am thinking I should have tried medication rather than just be on the blood thinner..am so confused. 
    • Posted

I started on bisoprolol but it made me feel sooo ill and unable to function. Consultant then changed me to verapamil. Coped much better on that but still struggled. Was put onto rivaroxaban pre ablation, then managed- with dr approval - to wean off verapamil and just on thinners now. I am much better than i was pre ablation, and optimistic my second one in june will stop the episodes. Will stop thinners asap if episodes stop. Im 52 btw with no other health issues. I cannot bear the idea of a lifetime of meds, hence "going for it". There are risks, yes, but for me, im willing to take them. If it doesnt sort me, so be it but ive tried. Very personal choices in this matter and whatever you do or dont do, has to be right for you. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.