Alternative treatment for BPH

Posted , 14 users are following.

does anyone have experience of Saw Palmetto?. I have read that it may be just as effective as prescribed drugs. Found them in the shops but rather expensive

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gary yes I used it and I can recommend it it as good as anything doctors give on prescription cheers junior
    • Posted

Derek my GP proscribed it also but to no effect. It's promoted everywhere as  a wonder cure for BPH but it made mine worse. If you google it you'll find plenty of examples of no beneficial effect. 

But we're all different and you have to see if it works for you....if it does well that's great. There's a fair amount of experimentation required ....that's why this forum is so helpful as we can share our experiences. 

• Posted

I've been on BPH NG's and Forums for twenty years and in the main Saw Palmetto has been the remedy of choice for those wanting to avoid drugs with terrible side effects.

Are you in the UK? I have not heard of saw palmetto being prescribed here.

What type or form of it did you get?

• Posted

Thanks for the input everyone. For those that like Saw Palmetto and or nettle, what dose did you use? In the Uk H&B sell both but st varying strengths............

• Posted

Check out Prostasan. The company is Swiss and has some studies.
  • Posted

Hi Gary, I found that saw palmetto made my BPH symptoms worse! Everyone's different. The only herb that worked for me was stinging nettle root. Only problem as that it upset my stomach so I had to go off it. 

I tried everything.....eventually went on to flomax. Helped a little. Finally the only thing that fixed my symptoms was a PAE Prostate Artery Embolisation. 

I had mine 5 months ago. Worked a treat.....I now pee like a horse and get up two times a night instead of 6. The only reason I get up twice is that I have three or four mugs of tea before I go to bed....I love it. 

If I restricted my fluid intake I'd probably only get up once. 

Whatever you you do avoid TURP and to a less extent Holep. 

PAE is minimally invasive and has no side effects. I had no bleeding, no incontinence, no impotence, no retrograde ejaculation. 

As as far as I'm concerned my BPH is a thing I used to have.

• Posted

Hi

That is all very interesting. Did you have the PAE in UK?

In which case can you PM me the details as to where and who performed it as I am booked in for Green Light Laser but do not want RE which seems almost guaranteed!

thanks very much

Jeremy

• Posted

I live in Australia jazzman....had it done in Sydney by the one radioligist who does it here....very happy with result. 
    • Posted

The RE turned me off as well (and my wife :-). On top of that a 2% chance of incontinence and or impotence. I thought that if the PAE doesn't work I can always have Holep. I thought try the least invasive first and in OZ I got it free which was even better. 
    • Posted

THanks for the info.

I need to see if i can get it on NHS,but i doubt that very much!"

• Posted

Saw Palmetto is really advertised as an effective natural treatment for benigh prostatic hyperplasia. Saw palmetto is best known for its use in decreasing symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy, BPH). According to many research studies, it is effective for this use.

Saw palmetto is used for treating certain types of prostate infections. It is also sometimes used, in combination with other herbs, to treat prostate cancer.

• Posted

That's true Dug but it doesn't work for everyone. ....nothing works for everyone. In my case it made it worse.
    • Posted

Who would take herbal remedies for prostate cancer? Where did you read that?
    • Posted

I just found this on the webmd site.. Sept. 27, 2011 -- For years, men with enlarged prostate glands have turned to a supplement called saw palmetto to ease their trouble with urination and other symptoms.

Exactly how saw palmetto was thought to relieve the symptoms is unclear, but the fruit of saw palmetto dwarf palm tree remains widely used.

Now, a new study shows that this popular remedy is no more effective than a placebo or dummy pill at relieving these symptoms -- even in high doses.

The study is published in The Journal of the American Medical Association

I say whateve works use it, I had a TURP and could not be happier. I only wish I had done it sooner, but had to wait 2 months.

• Posted

Two months in the UK?  I had to wait 54 weeks to have my aortic valve replaced while a friend in america had his done in three weeks.

When PVP came on the scene my local hospital did not do it. I asked to be refrered to a hospital in an other area that did. That took about eight months.

• Posted

I don't think that any medical publication will be pro any herbal remedy.

The American Indians used saw palmetto as one of their traditional medices for urinary problems.

• Posted

Hi Derek

I suppose the medical community don't like the idea of anyone hosing into their business either. But I saw a "funny" video on youtube of an "American Indian", with a catheter hanging in a tree and he was shooting it , he said he was very happy to get "rid of it". Look it up on youtube, its clear that he was not taking any herb.

I think its very unfortunate that a concentrated research has not been done on the various herbal remedy's. One has to look at the complications from mixing and matching prescribed meds and over the counter claims about others. My concern is how much filler is in those products and what? What kind of regulation are they under and who inspects the product? Do we really know what we are taking?

Decisions, decisions.

• Posted

The filler is also a problem in prescribed medications. They all contain the specified ammount of the drug but use different fillers and compounds  in their manufacture and that often rather than the drug is the cause of the side effect.

In the UK we are in the main prescribed the generic name and the pharmacies search out the cheapest from around the world. I used to get Nexium but due to its cost my GP now prescribes esomeprazole. Sometimes I get tablets other time capsules from a variety of makers around Europe or even India. Often a two month supply is from two different makers.

Herbal products in the UK are now subject certain standards and have to be certified. This had added greatly to makers costs. This does not apply to non herbal vitamins and products. A recent BBC programme tested a range of vitamins and  products and they varied greatly in quality with some not even containing the stated product.

The profit on such good must be very high as one national franchise has constant offers of buy one get one free or the fractionally slightly less tempting of buy one get one for a penny. 

I'll have a look for your Native American in the tree.

• Posted

I just received this in an email....about "Spinach" 

Surprisingly, this leafy green is not often talked about when recommending healthy foods that cure disease.Yet, it’s one of the most powerful foods on earth. Over 12 types of antioxidants and loads of potassium are only two of many reasons repeated studies have proven it lowers blood pressure.

Not just that, it’s one of few foods that reliable studies have revealed to prevent or reverse several types of cancer. That includes stomach, colon, breast, prostate and several other types of cancer.

If that wasn’t enough, it also regulates blood sugar levels (fantastic for those suffering type 2 diabetes), essential for the digestive system, strengthens bones and makes your hair and skin look young and beautiful.

The marketing to sell a product to the gulliable is incredible. The claims that are made are outlandish. We all have to be aware that those who profit from these claims don't care, they are after our money. Buyer Beware.

• Posted

There is also a version of Amaranth (there are about 50 types of the plant) that has a leafy green leaf similar to spinach and is said to have health giving properties. I came across it when finding that the dye from another version of Amaranth is used to colour 1mg Warfarin tablets and is blamed for joint pain by users.

Other versions of Amaranth are said to help arthritis/joint pain. Go figure.

After time without a cure people clutch at any straw. Steve McQuuen went to Mexico for cancer treatment that inviolved apricot seeds.

Researchers in Canada found a connection between milk and prostate cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.